PDA

View Full Version : 71 Travelall/Wagon Master..

TravlinWagon
01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I picked up a 71 Travelall that has been converted somewhere along the way to a Wagon Master. Structurally it appears to be pretty well done, cosmetically only ok. I bought it off of craigslist locally(Phoenix,AZ area) a little over a year ago with a 392 that was supposed to be in good condition, but that ended up being not quite the case. I have a 345 that we are gonna drop in it now and get it going. I have the option of going 4 barrel with an edelbrock carb or staying with the 2 barrel from the 392. My first instinct was to go the 4 barrel route for performance. However after watching these forums for awhile and getting a better understanding of the International engine's workhorse nature, I am wondering if there is that much performance to be gained and if that gain is enough to offset the loss in fuel economy.(Bad to worse). I have read these posts long enough to know that you guys have enough time in the saddle to know what you are talking about, so I appreciate any input. I am sure I'll be looking for more help along the way. I'll try to post some pics. It is a 4 speed with factory air. Thanks in advance for any help/advise.

BigMookieD
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I watched that for a while and even talked to some dude who owned it a while back.

Keep the 2 BBL and do BillUSN's EFI swap, you will never look back. Keep your eyes on the classifieds and junkyards for the parts.

What was the issue with the 392? We have a couple SDS locals that can get you rolling depending where you are at. Check out the Sonora Desert Scouts website.

Yellowdog
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm running a 345 4v.............keep the 2v there isn't much difference

TravlinWagon
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Was the dude that owned it earlier the one that converted? As for as the 392 it had no compresion. The first spark plug we pulled and put a scope in, the valve seat was crunched and setting on top of a scarred up piston as well as the cylinder wall. So it got put on the back burner(I'm king of unfinished projects) till I came across this running 345. We're just gonna try to get her going without putting alot of $$ in for now. I am in Buckeye.

Afireinside
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
How hard would it be to make a Travelall/wagon master? Anyone have any ideas I would love to turn my travelall into a wagon master. It would suit my uses much better. I sold my pick up last summer and am really needing one. And a lifted wagong master would look sweet. I do have a welder and fab skills i'm just looking for some insight.
Thanks

BigMookieD
01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Was the dude that owned it earlier the one that converted? As for as the 392 it had no compresion. The first spark plug we pulled and put a scope in, the valve seat was crunched and setting on top of a scarred up piston as well as the cylinder wall. So it got put on the back burner(I'm king of unfinished projects) till I came across this running 345. We're just gonna try to get her going without putting alot of $$ in for now. I am in Buckeye.

The guy bought it from someone under some reasoning. Bolting in another motor will be pretty straight forward.

BigMookieD
01-28-2011, 02:40 PM
How hard would it be to make a Travelall/wagon master? Anyone have any ideas I would love to turn my travelall into a wagon master. It would suit my uses much better. I sold my pick up last summer and am really needing one. And a lifted wagong master would look sweet. I do have a welder and fab skills i'm just looking for some insight.
Thanks

Rear window, cab back and tail end from a pickup should be all. Weld it in and go, the rest you can improvise.

Ask TravlinWagon to send you a bunch of pics of hie rig. That thing is all home made.

mtnscouts
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I owned that truck for 3 years, I bought it that way in Fresno and drove it home to socal with my Jeep in tow. Put a new windshield and rubber in it just before I sold it, most likey to the guy you bought it from since it still has the cali plates on it. Ran like a top when I had it, and was a BEAST in the snow. It still had the travelall rear seat in it when I had it. I put those rims and tires on it......those tires are REALLY OLD now dont trust them. I also replace the rear fuel tank with a late model that I found in a J/Y. Neither of the gas tanks worked very well when I first got it and it had a few electrical problems too. Had that all fixed when I got rid of it, sold it because I had to many vehicles and it sat most of the time.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/mountainkowboy/travelmaster4.jpg

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/mountainkowboy/travelmaster6.jpg

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/mountainkowboy/DSC00674.jpg

TravlinWagon
01-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey mntnscouts thanks for the pics and info. Thats cool, definately same truck.

Afireinside, I'll get you some detail pics for you. Might be a couple of days, bringing my wife home from hospital today, just had a histor..hyster..plumbing removal. As far as the conversion tho, pickup cab back welded, riveted, sheet metal screws and seam sealer. Original Travelall tailgate, rails welded on to bed where top, windows removed. Really doesn't look to complicated.