PDA

View Full Version : Engine Identification IH Loadstar 1800

CT73
04-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Hello, I like this site. I wished I had a 'ole IH Scout ;)

I do however have a '71 International Loadstar 1800 dumptruck that I recently bought.
I have some questions that I need help with.

First what engine came in these?....It's a V8 with a 2 bbl Holley. Thats about all I know :( .

I was doing an oil change on it and figured I'd buy the same filter that was on it....But they don't sell those type of filters any more!

So....I'll continue to search here and see what I come up with.

If anyone can help me out it'll be greatly appreciated.

TIA

CT73
04-26-2003, 03:40 PM
ok, I forgot to check the outside front valence...:confused:
There's a sticker that gives timing instructions.

Its either a:
V-304E, V-345E, or a V3(8/9?)2E

Would any of y'all know where the casting number would be
:confused: on the block?

After getting this number where could I go to interpret it? Or would it basically be spelled out for me?

Eagle-Mark
04-27-2003, 01:04 PM
There is an article at the BB with some pictures that will help if it is a 304 or 345. Don't know about the other.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/7.htm#5

denrech
04-27-2003, 10:29 PM
On the right side (passenger) of the engine towards the front should be a pad with the engine size stamped on it. It should be about midway down the side of the block if I remember correctly. I don't have it in front of me right now so I'm working with my rapidly departing mind. It may very well be a 392 since this is the type of rig I got my 392 out of. Rebuilt it and dropped it into a '73 Scout II. Makes for some fun off-roading. As for the oil filter, all I did was bolt up the adapter from a 304 IH motor so it uses a newer screw-on type oil filter. Hope this helps.

Justfarmit
04-28-2003, 11:34 PM
CT73 Like denrech said passenger side of motor. Line up on the first bolt of the exhaust manifold, and go straight down. The little pad will be there. It will have v266,v304,v345, or v392. That casting number is right in the middle of the left sidewall, below the freeze plugs. If you know a good automotive machinist he will have all the numbers. They have to know what the block is befor working on it, or ordering parts. It would be good to check out the casting number. I ran into a 392 that is called " impruved cooling" , the other 392 head gaskets don't work. Well anyway Good luck!!

CT73
04-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys for the replies....I had some time and went outside to see what I had.

After Denrech's post I was also hoping to have a 392 for obvious reasons (CI's) ;)

Well, I got a V-345. The marking was just as you all had described. Had to take a flashlight to it...cause it doesn't look like it was cut as deep as the numbers below it.

Hope y'all don't mind, but I'd like to stick around this site for awhile and see what I can learn about this engine. Looks like y'all have plenty of good articles and members to keep each other informed and educated.

Thank again.