PDA

View Full Version : 73 1200 axle question

Gustav129
04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I might be obtaining an '73 8 lug open knuckle D44 with drums. IIRC, the brake parts are hard to find (or super expensive) for these axles. The flat top passenger side knuckle is a plus for the axle. Just wondering if they are 6 bolt spindles so I could put Chevy disc brakes on them.

Gustav129
04-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Never mind, just found it HERE (http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html). : rant :

The IHC flat top knuckles are 8 bolt, so I could find Scout II outers and put them on, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of bumping up to 3/4T axles. Oh well, it's off to find another set of chevy knuckles.

Dave Nuenke
04-28-2007, 05:52 PM
You are thinking about the 3" halfton brakes that have the unobtanium parts. Parts for the 3/4 ton drum setup are readily availible just about anywhere, it's the exact same stuff that Ford used for years, as an added bonus it's even cheap. I haven't had to replace front drums, but I have done rears and those weren't that hard to find once I did a little research with the brake book and pulled a handfull of drums off the shelf at the parts store to inspect. I'm certain that the fronts won't be much harder to find. The one thing you may have to do is mount the new drum up in a lathe and turn out the center hole slightly. I had to do that with my rears, but others have not had to so it seems to vary by brand of drums. I would recomend converting to the chevy style spindly nuts when you have everything apart. I just started doing this, and it makes things a lot easier, the new design is a huge improvement.

Dave

r. hall
04-28-2007, 07:44 PM
that have the unobtanium parts.

DAve, do you read green magazine or have you heard of mr. thinker?

sorry to hijack, but I need to know....... : coco :
later,
robert

Mark Ashford
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
The '73 Drum Brake, Open Knuckle units are 6-stud knuckles and spindles. The '74 and '75 disc units shared the Scout's 8-stud pattern.

So you can make GM disc brake stuff work. IIRC the bolt pattern is clocked slightly compared to GM, so you might have to clearance things a little for the calipers.