Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > IH Truck, Travelall, & Travelette
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS CHATROOM FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008

1970 Travelette 4x4

I finally got it home and got it running. Been driving it around town today, and the only issue is that it needs about 1/3 choke to idle and run smoothly when its warmed up. The 5 speed shift pattern is a little strange also. I have a set of near new 900-16 Power King traction tires I'm going to put on to replace the cracked 255-85-R16's, They are about 33" tall so hopefully they will fit O.K.
For paint I'm thinking about just getting some IHC red tractor enamel and some white enamel, put some hardener in it and shoot it 2 tone. Red body, white roof.
Old 02-21-2008
I now feel V-8 POWER!

Send a message via AIM to ArrizX Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Re: 1970 Travelette 4x4

Looks good!

Just needs a little TLC imo..
Old 02-21-2008

I want one! Thats a good looking truck, and I like the implement red and white idea : thumbsup You keeping the split rim wheels?? (I am a big fan of the old look of the split rims : bonk : ) When I got my 68 1200B, it had sat a few years without running... like many IH rigs seem to. Once running, I had to give the idle screw about 3/4 turn in to get it to idle correctly.. hope its that simple for you.

think about WHAT your doing, not HOW your doing...
WHAT..not HOW.. WHAT not HOW ..
Old 02-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHTrucker
I want one! Thats a good looking truck, and I like the implement red and white idea : thumbsup You keeping the split rim wheels?? (I am a big fan of the old look of the split rims : bonk : ) When I got my 68 1200B, it had sat a few years without running... like many IH rigs seem to. Once running, I had to give the idle screw about 3/4 turn in to get it to idle correctly.. hope its that simple for you.
Yep, I've already swapped the 900-16 to a set of extra split rings that came with. I like the ol' timey look of the splits also. Plus you can change tires yourself (if you know what you are dooing and have the right equipment) instead of taking them to the tire man.
I think I have some grit in the carb or something. I have it figured out tomorrow at lunch hopefully.
Old 02-21-2008
Smile this is as good as it gets

Is that a PTO Winch on the front?

Repeat after me "You cant save them all, You cant save them all, You cant save them all"
Old 02-21-2008

Red with a white top. Gonna look like a Pendleton Grain Growers rig. But then, that may be what it wants

www.peakputters.com
www.pnw4wda.com

'74 SII / 304 3spd waiting for the 727 to go in. And a cage...
Old 02-22-2008
the only peice that won't rust on my ih

if you are going to use tractor enamel, then go to a Case IH parts store and get their implement paint. It is much tougher and resistant than any of the other crap you can get from tsc or whatever place.
That is a beautiful truck by the way!
later,
robert
Lots of red tractors
Old 02-22-2008

That is a PTO winch on front. Ramsey 10K rated, PTO drives off the Transfer case. I found a huge mouse nest in the haedliner last night and had to pull the whole thing out. The cardboard is soaked in mouse piss, but intact. I dont know if they are worth the trouble to save and use for patterns. The seats have to come out too. They are shot and smell also. I'll take them down to Yakima and see if I can get rear seat re-upolstered. I have a nice set of buckets for the front.
Old 02-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Smith
That is a PTO winch on front. Ramsey 10K rated, PTO drives off the Transfer case. I found a huge mouse nest in the haedliner last night and had to pull the whole thing out. The cardboard is soaked in mouse piss, but intact. I dont know if they are worth the trouble to save and use for patterns. The seats have to come out too. They are shot and smell also. I'll take them down to Yakima and see if I can get rear seat re-upolstered. I have a nice set of buckets for the front.
Right On

Repeat after me "You cant save them all, You cant save them all, You cant save them all"
Old 02-22-2008

How's she for rust? Looks good in the picture, most of the IH's up here got bad cab corners and inner fenders
Old 02-22-2008

No rust to speak of. Literally just a little scaley stuff on the drivers side floor by the mount, but that's it. And that will be taken care of this weekend when I pull the seats out. I'm lucky...so far.
Heres a picture with the new 900-16 tires...
Old 02-22-2008

No Rust....???! : woohoo : Tires look good... : burnout

Old 02-22-2008

looks good with those wheels!
later,
robert
Lots of red tractors
Old 02-23-2008
Gone Fishing

Looks great, PTO winch too, on the choke issue, I had a similar problem last week, turned out the spring in the T-stat was weak and would open too soon, I guess from cycling for 35 years. New t-stat and it went right up to operating temp. no more problems.
Old 02-24-2008

Hey Jonas,
would you mind posting a couple more pics?? Interior, maybe engine and axle shots... Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2008
Wudwhlr

Send a message via MSN to YETI

: beer :

Very Nice !!! I keep telling myself I'll have one someday.

Is that a short or long bed ? Also forgive me for asking but where did you find it and how much $ did you have to shell out ???

No rust, that is crazy talk. Congrats : thumbsup
Old 02-26-2008

I lied, After scrubbing out what I thought was scaly rust on the drivers side floor, I came up with a 1" hole rusted through where the floor pans are "doubled". I'll cut it out and weld new 16 gauge patch in.
I went to the junkyard today and found a '74 100 that has a 4 bbl carb on it. I got the intake, carb (junk), and the distributer (for a spare), is there anything else I need off of this? I am assuming that the engine is a 392ci motor. My truck has the 345. Hopefully the intake will swap on to the 345. I thought about getting the whole engine, but the whole truck looks tired, I'm sure theres a reason it's in the junkyard.

As the truck sits right now, I'm probably into it about $2000-$2500. I probably paid too much for it, but I like it, and knowing the complete history and with the winch and the 5 speed I dont mind so much. I got it here loaclly at a farm just outside of Ellensburg. It's originally from Canada.
I took it out on the freeway (I-90) this morning and it did 65-70 MPH pretty easily in OD. I think if I hit a hill, I'd be back down into 4th (direct drive). Maby the 4bbl will help out with that. It's a T34 transmission and a wierd shift pattern. It has a bit of a whine in 3rd and 5th. I'm going to drain out the 90 weight and put some Redline gear lube or something of that sort in there.
Old 02-26-2008

I think that you got a good deal. I'd certainly pay that much for a 4x4 travelette like yours! I'm jealous.
later,
robert
Lots of red tractors
Old 02-26-2008
Wudwhlr

Send a message via MSN to YETI

I'd have to agree. I'd pay that much for your truck all day long. How about some more pics. : thumbsup

I'll have one someday. just not today.

Congrats again on your purchase.

If for any reason you decide to part with this in the future please give me a shout. : innocent
Old 02-27-2008

I would not bet the farm a 4-bbl carb will improve your fuel mileage significantly.

In order to get the SV engines running in their sweet spot for fuel consumption you have to make sure everything is dialed in correctly.

I have said it before and I will say it again, don't expect great fuel mileage in a vehicle the size of a 4X4 3/4-ton T'lette. The weight and frontal area is working against you.

My '74 4x4 3/4-ton averaged 8.5 MPG. Period. It didn't matter if the camper was on the truck or not. The only thing that made the fuel mileage change was if I tried to cruise in excess of 60 MPH. At speeds of over 60 MPH you could also see the gas hand sinking down.

Back in the day we were able to dial in some SV345's in school buses so they consistently turned in 6-7+ MPG on route. We had one that got over 8 MPG. And we did that with 2-bbl carbs.

If you decide you have to have the 4-bbl, you are going to have twice as many throats to dial in correctly.

On the bus that was our mileage champ we messed around with all sorts of different combinations of power valves and jets. The final combination had different sized jets in the two throats. The side that fed the long side of the intake manifold had jets that were a size or two larger than on the short side of the intake manifold.

We also had a manifold vacuum gauge on the dash to monitor how often we got into the power valve.

The fuel side of the equation was just a small part of what we tweaked in those buses. We upgraded the ignition systems, the exhaust systems, the air induction routing, and upgraded to radial tires just to name the things I remember changing.

But in the end, those buses were buses. They were what they were.

If it were me, and I was spending my hard earned $$$, I wouldn't be messing around with old school technology. I would do what Bill USN-1 has done and upgrade everything to modern electronically controlled fuel and ignition systems.

Bill USN-1 has been able to upgrade his Scout II significantly. With the upgrades the performance of his IHC has been demonstrably better. And I would think that once everything has been dialed in the resulting improvements don't have to messed with except once in a blue moon.

With our old school upgrades every time the bus came in it went on the scope to check that everything was still doing what it was supposed to be doing. With the modern electronically controlled systems the black box controls everything without you having to mess around with anything.

I do want to take this opportunity in saying you have one really nice truck. It makes all of the rest of us jealous to the point we are now checking out everything shed, barn, and outhouse we pass by as we look for our own treasure.

Keep us posted as to your progress and keep the pictures coming.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
If you are serious about
Old 02-28-2008

Well, the 4bbl deal was a bust. I cleaned the intake up, sanded and painted the valve covers really nice. Got new fuel and heater hoses. Installed new gasketts with copper goop on the tin and a very thin coat of hi-temp RTV on the cork and paper gasketts (not the carb gaskets). Finally put on my brand new Carter AFB carb that has been sitting on the shelf in a hermetically sealed container (OK... A gallon zip-loc bag), and hooked up the fuel lines. Ran new wiring to the auto choke. Primed the fuel system with my trusty outboard motor fuel tank and squeeze bulb.
In the cab and a turn of the key.... wont start. Gas pedal to the floor, and it fires up but wont low idle, only a high idle. Choke is fully open. Check timing and it is about 15 Deg. I try and dial it down to TC like the book says and it craps out. It runs smooth at high idle and 10 deg timing.
When I goose the throttle it sometimes backfires through the carb, and when I turn the engine of it sometimes keeps running (dieseling). I get it running halfway decent, and decide to take it out on the road. It seemed to have more power with the 2 bbl holley installed. It seems like it's really loading up on the fuel. Its a 625 CFM carb.
Do I need to put smaller jets in or something?
Old 02-28-2008

Don't know it this will tell you anything or not. My 345 had Holley 650 Double Pumper on it with mechanical secondaries. Moved the front jets to the rear, and went down 3 sizes in the front. Also adjusted the floats so the fuel was about 1/8" below the sight plug. Now, it also had headers, Moper electronic ignition, Mallory coil, one range hotter plugs. It would get 16-18 mpg on the hiway at 60-65 on 11x15 Armstrong tires and 3.73 gears. I realize this is a mite old school, but it is possible to get good mpg and serious grunt out of the SV. This was in a '72 Scout II I'm guessing scaled around 4K...And, after working on the kid's '66 Caddy with an AFB, I'm not impressed.

www.peakputters.com
www.pnw4wda.com

'74 SII / 304 3spd waiting for the 727 to go in. And a cage...
Old 02-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Smith
Well, the 4bbl deal was a bust. I cleaned the intake up, sanded and painted the valve covers really nice. Got new fuel and heater hoses. Installed new gasketts with copper goop on the tin and a very thin coat of hi-temp RTV on the cork and paper gasketts (not the carb gaskets). Finally put on my brand new Carter AFB carb that has been sitting on the shelf in a hermetically sealed container (OK... A gallon zip-loc bag), and hooked up the fuel lines. Ran new wiring to the auto choke. Primed the fuel system with my trusty outboard motor fuel tank and squeeze bulb.
In the cab and a turn of the key.... wont start. Gas pedal to the floor, and it fires up but wont low idle, only a high idle. Choke is fully open. Check timing and it is about 15 Deg. I try and dial it down to TC like the book says and it craps out. It runs smooth at high idle and 10 deg timing.
When I goose the throttle it sometimes backfires through the carb, and when I turn the engine of it sometimes keeps running (dieseling). I get it running halfway decent, and decide to take it out on the road. It seemed to have more power with the 2 bbl holley installed. It seems like it's really loading up on the fuel. Its a 625 CFM carb.
Do I need to put smaller jets in or something?
Are you timing that off #8 or #1, in case you didn't know the SV's are timed off #8

Old 02-29-2008
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog
Are you timing that off #8 or #1, in case you didn't know the SV's are timed off #8
This might sound moronic but the more I check, the more SVs I see running around without the dust cover in the distributor. Without the dust cover the cap has slop and the clips are loose, the cap will move around enough to alter your ignition timing, prolonged use in this condition will result in catastophic engine failure. Also make sure the tab on the VA bracket is bent out enough to hold the distributor cap in the right place. Ask me how I know.

: beer :
Old 02-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog
I assume so, #8 is passenger side closest to firewall?