Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > IH Truck, Travelall, & Travelette
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008
I sold my Ford for this.

1967 International Travelall

I figure now's probably a good time to start a thread devoted to my progress on Frank. Frank is a 1967 Travelall 4WD with a 345 V8 and a 2" body lift.
He needs a lot of work but everything is fully or semi-functional. Right now I got a very reputable shop doing exhaust work and repairing the clutch that went out last week.

I Drove him up from West Linn, OR to Seattle. I got real comfortable driving on the 198 mile trip but there are a lot of things that need fixing. The exhaust has some aftermarket pipes called 'blue streak'-looks exactly like cherry bombs and loud as hell. Though the exhaust is fine, I plan to put a little quieter exhaust on it so as to draw less attention from authorities. Found that the transfer case has a pretty solid drip. One of the rear brake lines needs replacement asap-drips. Need 4 new(er) tires since the tread is cracking. Needs some paint. Needs a tune-up. Want the original mirrors or stock 1960's pickup mirrors. New upholstery, headliner, dash pad. I'm sure I could list much more...

Here are some pictures right when I got him. See the rest in the gallery.

Ms. Bee; 1967 Travelall 1100 4x4 304ci 2" lift
Old 10-28-2008

Re: 1967 International Travelall

Nice ride, man! I really dig those late 60's C-series T'alls, especially the 4WD ones. I'll be watching this thread for sure.
Nate
Old 10-28-2008

Reliable-

Lucky dog. Wish you the best of luck with it. They can be a really fun rig, but you won't pass many gas stations! One of the coolest looking big trucks ever.

Keep posting what you can, when you can. Oh, guard those big rear quarter windows carefully! If you can even find any, your wallet will take a huge hit-believe me, I know.

Best of luck to you.

Brian
Old 10-29-2008
Fell off an International Turnip Truck

I've had several of those, and the matching pickup trucks. Without exception, the owners told me they had 345s in them.

Funny thing was, they all had 304s in them. I didn't know any better on the first one, but after the first one, I had learned how to tell the difference, and used it as a bargaining point on the price. I never admitted I liked them that way, but a 304 is a good engine.

After the third one, I realized that some people can own a vehicle for 30 years and never know the real engine size.
Old 10-29-2008
I sold my Ford for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I've had several of those, and the matching pickup trucks. Without exception, the owners told me they had 345s in them.

Funny thing was, they all had 304s in them. I didn't know any better on the first one, but after the first one, I had learned how to tell the difference, and used it as a bargaining point on the price. I never admitted I liked them that way, but a 304 is a good engine.

After the third one, I realized that some people can own a vehicle for 30 years and never know the real engine size.
Allan-
That's a good point. How does one check that? I just went off of what I was told by the P.O.

Old 10-31-2008

You can verify your engine size by looking for the stamping above and just to the rear of the fuel pump. There is a flat spot there stamped with the engine displacement and serial number. It will probably be covered with gunk, so be prepared to clean.

The gentleman I bought my 67 from said it had a 345, but the reproduction line setting ticket said it came with a 304. Checking the engine stamping revealed it to be a 345.
Old 11-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' reliable View Post
Allan-
That's a good point. How does one check that? I just went off of what I was told by the P.O.
There are a few ways.

1. Do what ihc120 said. Once you find that pad, you're sure. Brake cleaner is the quickest way, but do it on a cold engine, not a hot one. The exhaust manifold is right there. Lungs are important, and so are eyes.
2. There are a couple of raised points on the back of the engine next to the bell housing. If they are 7 inches apart, you have a 304 or a 266. Both engines were available in travelalls that year as well as a 345 or 392 and all three 6 cylinder engines.
3. If it's an original engine, you can tell by the horsepower listed on the door plate. The 345 has 193 hp that year, or close to it, I think.
4. Line set ticket, also implies you'd have to still have the original engine.

Because all 4 of the V8 engines in that series are a bolt-in swap for each other, and all are larger than other V8 engines of similar displacement, it takes a bit of practice to tell them apart at a glance. As far as tuning goes, it's not a big deal. The 304 tends to be able to take a couple of degrees of advance more than the 345 or 392 without pinging, but essentially, all the tuneup specs are so close together as to be virtually identical. Tuning a 345, later finding it's a 304? Not a problem. Any part you are likely to change in routine tune ups or leaky gaskets are the same part. It's one of the things I like most about IH.
Old 11-05-2008
I sold my Ford for this.

I just purchased the Line Set and Owner's Manual form binderbooks.com Wanted to get a service manual but it's kinda pricey.
ihc120, Allan- Thanks for the info I'll check that out when I pick it up from the shop.

Old 11-07-2008
I sold my Ford for this.

Just got the truck back tonight. Sounds great and drives great!

Old 11-12-2008

Quote:
I just purchased the Line Set and Owner's Manual form binderbooks.com Wanted to get a service manual but it's kinda pricey.
ihc120, Allan- Thanks for the info I'll check that out when I pick it up from the shop.
Save your pennies and get the manual. Also get the parts manual. Yes, lots of cash, but you have to look at it as part of the purchase price, not as a separate part. They are worth the price just for the bad words you won't have to say. The time and effort saved is tremendous.
Old 11-13-2008
Gone Fishing

Thumbs up Re: 1967 International Travelall

Looks like a solid T/A.
Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2008

George,

Here is some inspiration for you:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...all/index.html
Shiny New Orange Paint with AZ pinstripes
Old 02-07-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

Hey guys. It's been A while since I posted last. So ol' Frank's been down for about a month because of a combination of things. It's just three things-two I can take care of without much help-brakes and replacing the leaky water pump gasket. What I need Help and/or advice with is replacing the pionts on the distributor. Also, tools needed to be done quickly and on a budget. I have the new set right now. I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to an MSD ignition. But that will be for when it running, driving and stopping better that it is now.

Old 02-22-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

Just thought I'd give y'all an update. I just put in a new set of points, condenser, coil and now it's running-I need to adjust the timing now. I still need to replace that gasket on the water pump and put in a new brake master. I have the parts I just need to find the time. I hope to have it all done by Friday-we'll see. Wish me luck, guys.

Old 03-08-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

SO last weekend I installed a new water pump gasket only to find out that it make my leak worse! I had a bad Water Pump! Dun-Dun Dunnn! Fortunately for me a new one was just a day away at only $44 Here is the newest part in the truck.

And this here is the damn hose that broke the first time I put in the gasket.

I'm Wondering too, how one gets their pictures in the post as Thumbs and not Huge.

Old 03-10-2009

Hi, great looking truck I saw in a few posts above where folks were speaking about the pad for the engine size, so I thought I would add this photo in hoping it may be of help. I have sent this pic a couple of times to people to help them know where to look and hope it will do the same here. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine number.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	10277  
Email: momanning@godisforyou.com
Old 03-10-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

Mike-
Thanks a lot. So far, I've been making out ok by telling the parts guys that it's a 345 and all parts have fit properly. But I will check that pad out to be absolutely sure. BTW- how are you putting thumbs in your attachments? I can't figure it out.
Also on another note- The holley 2bbl rebuild kit was only $16. Weekend project? Sure.

Old 03-13-2009

Hi, I have been ill or would have answered quicker. The thumbs: click on the attachments/manage and there are 5 blocks with a brouse button, click the button and select a pic .you can do this for one ,two ,etc. then click the upload button. Once up load is complete, click submit. If it kicks a pic out you may have to re-size it a little then it will go, Mike

ps; you may want to look at the on-line file box as it would have some info that may be of help to you. Link is in sig.
Email: momanning@godisforyou.com
Old 03-14-2009

Quote:
Mike-
Thanks a lot. So far, I've been making out ok by telling the parts guys that it's a 345 and all parts have fit properly. But I will check that pad out to be absolutely sure. BTW- how are you putting thumbs in your attachments? I can't figure it out.
Also on another note- The holley 2bbl rebuild kit was only $16. Weekend project? Sure.
George-

The external parts on the 345 are almost all the same, so that will work. The exception to the gaskets is the valley pan, and you have to remove the intake manifold to gete to it. Of course the head gaskets are different, but that's internal. Oil pan, water pump, fuel pump. Talk about handy! I had a 304in my first IH pickup and thought it was a 345 for a long time. Never made a bit of difference.

The original carb on that pickup has a very low cfm rating, and that really helps the economy and throttle response. If your rebuild is successful, expect about 13 mpg from a 345 and about 15 from a 304 at 55 mph on the highway, and about 9-10 in town. Want to go faster? You'll pay the price in fuel economy, because the aerodynamics of that travelall are somewhere between parachute and billboard. You can flat out hear the wind noise through the frame no matter how much insulation you use. Either way, once you get used to forcing yourself to stay at 55, you will love the ride that way.
Old 03-14-2009
In the Land of Misfit Binders

FWIW the intake manifold gaskets are different for the 266/304 and 345/392.
Old 03-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
FWIW the intake manifold gaskets are different for the 266/304 and 345/392.

Come to think of it, since I mentioned removing the intake manifold, it was pretty lame not to mention that. Good job.
Old 03-14-2009

Actually the head gaskets are the same between a 304 and 345 since they use the same bore dia and pistons.

Unique to the 266 pistons, valves, heads, block, head gaskets.

Unique to the 304 heads, block.

Unique to the 345 heads, block, "early" connecting rods.

Unique to the 392 heads, block, head gaskets.

Unique to the 392 IC heads, block, head gaskets, water pipes.

Interchangeable only between the 266, 304, intake and valley gaskets, intake manifold, water pipes, connecting rods.

Interchangeable only between the 304, 345 pistons, valves, head gaskets.

Interchangeable only between the 345, 392 valley and intake gaskets, intake manifold, "late" connecting rods.

Interchangeable only between the 392 and 392 IC, pistons, valves.

Pretty much everything else is interchangeable between all engines, though E and non-E heads must be used with their corresponding pistons.

Some people do swap 345E heads on a non-IC 392E to increase compression but that gives you smaller valves so you are trading a small increase in low rpm power for restriction at high rpm with that swap.

They started with the 266, then

increased bore and valve sizes to produce the 304, then

increased stroke, deck height, and intake port volume, to produce the 345, then

increased the bore, valve sizes, and beefed up the rods (which were then used on 345) to produce the 392, then

redesigned the block, heads, head gaskets, and water pipes to cure localized overheating in MD applications to produce the 392 IC which stands for Improved Cooling.

Of course details such as carbs and distributors used and the specific calibrations of those, along with other minor items were changed over the years, but you get the basic idea of the evolution of the SV. I'm sure I left something out.
Old 04-15-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

Bad news. The front brakes went out on the national. I figured since I have to replace the front blown lines and master I may as well replace the Leaking carb. so the carb is rebuilt but turns out I need a spacer for it because it's accelerator pump is hitting the intake and not getting a good seal wich I think was the original problem. any ideas? or should I make my own from 1/2" aluminum? the brake fittings are a royal pain. thank god for napa. the brakes should be fixed in the next couple days...

Old 04-15-2009
Smile this is as good as it gets

You can buy a extra thick gasket. The one I'm using is off a Ford that's something like 1/2 inch thick, today I will be inlarging the center holes to allow room for the butterflys to work because they're a lil small

Smile this is as good as it gets

Repeat after me "You cant save them all, You cant save them all, You cant save them all"
Old 04-15-2009
I sold my Ford for this.

ok, so what would cause the holley 2300 2bbl I just rebuilt and put on to not let fuel past the float tank. I know it's going in there but its not going any further.I've taken it apart 3 times trying to figure it out