Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > People and Places > Non BS
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS CHATROOM FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009

BB down?

Anyone else having trouble getting to the binder bulletin?
I'm just getting timeouts...
Old 01-02-2009

Re: BB down?

yeah i think its been a couple days
Old 01-02-2009

Just tried, and the BB works again! Nice!
Old 01-21-2009

Has the Binder Bulletin been down again for the last day for everyone or is it just me? I get an "Invalid Host Name" every time I try to load the page.
Old 01-21-2009

Yeah its down again.
My build
Old 01-21-2009

I been getting the "The page cannot be displayed" page!????
Old 01-21-2009

Okay. Good to know I'm not alone in not being able to access it. Misery loves company and all...
Old 01-22-2009
Lithopedion

BB has been experiencing a lot of issues with add-on programs to the core vBulletin program. I don't know what causes the issues, but some of the features like the Chat program etc have caused it to run slow or crash in the past. Recently there have been issues with Private Messaging. Some of the features like the Supporting Membership link and other things that affect status changes for members had been turned off to allow the BB to run until workarounds or patches can be employed. I don't know why it has been down for two days but I am sure it has something to do with maintenence, testing or reprogramming.

There are a few BB members who are part of the Content Team over there that also frequent this website. They may want to chime in.
Old 01-22-2009

I keep getting a "Down for Maintenance" message that also states "Will be up later today"... Been like this for 3 days now, but I reckon they are getting some of the bugs worked out of the new system (including the ability to re-subscribe).

Best of luck to the content team and the webmaster to get everything running again.
'66 Scout 800 Sport - Parts (Frame & drivetrain only)
'63 Scout 800, Dually - (SOLD)
Old 01-22-2009

I thought I was the only one who couldnt get in there for the last three days.
Old 01-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
I keep getting a "Down for Maintenance" message that also states "Will be up later today"... .
I am getting the same message
Old 01-22-2009
Ruler of Binder Fantasy Football League

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Shealy

I am happy to pass this information along from the staff at the old Binder Bulletin, we are working hard to get up and rolling again, we look forward to seeing you soon.

The Binder Bulletin has been shut down due to differences between the site owner and the staff. Attempts to reconcile certain issues ended in impasse, and as such, the site has been turned off until further notice.

The Staff of The Binder Bulletin have left the site and are working very hard to bring you a new, and fresh idea for International Harvester focused forums that will dispense with paid memberships and other aspects of The Binder Bulletin that many had issue with.

The Binder Bulletin may return some day, but the staff that operated it will not be the staff that runs it in whatever incarnation it may be in at that time and will operate without their assistance or endorsement.

The new forums will come on line shortly.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

The old staff of the Binder Bulletin.

1980 Scout Terra
1977 Scout II Midas Street Machine

Member-Southeast Binder Association
Moderator-Binderplanet.com

Charter Member of the South Carolinians for Palin 2012
Old 01-22-2009

Thanks Bruce. Nice to know and was wondering what was up. Will be waiting for it's return.
Old 01-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Shealy View Post
I am happy to pass this information along from the staff at the old Binder Bulletin, we are working hard to get up and rolling again, we look forward to seeing you soon.

The Binder Bulletin has been shut down due to differences between the site owner and the staff. Attempts to reconcile certain issues ended in impasse, and as such, the site has been turned off until further notice.

Oh boy...

Bruce, would you please send e-mail to everyone in the BB about what's happened? I've been trying to get on for several days, trying to wrap up a conversation about a potential Scout II build with someone in Dallas. I'll PM you who it is.

Thanks for the heads up.

Stephanie
Old 01-22-2009

Wow, that's not cool if all the years of archives get lost to the community over some disagreement.
Old 01-23-2009

Yeah, I really really hope there's gonna be some way to access the threads that are on the old BB. It was, no it still is, my favorite binder site and had a wealth of information I still need...

By the way, there is a feeling of deja vue here... Didn't something similar happen to this site a couple of years ago?
Old 01-23-2009
Lithopedion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpy View Post
Wow, that's not cool if all the years of archives get lost to the community over some disagreement.
Sounds like a problem like the one 5 or so years ago. If it is, it is more than 'some disagreement' and I for one support the desire to take the money out of the argument whether it is on the old BB or on this newly constructed site. I hope there is a regular posting of progress somewhere.
Old 01-23-2009

wow,
any idea how long the changes are going to take?
wow,
charlie
Old 01-23-2009

well if the site doesnt come back will i be getting my dues back...this sucks
Old 01-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Shealy View Post

The Staff of The Binder Bulletin have left the site and are working very hard to bring you a new, and fresh idea for International Harvester focused forums that will dispense with paid memberships and other aspects of The Binder Bulletin that many had issue with.

The Binder Bulletin may return some day, but the staff that operated it will not be the staff that runs it in whatever incarnation it may be in at that time and will operate without their assistance or endorsement.

The new forums will come on line shortly.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

The old staff of the Binder Bulletin.
Don't know if you can/should talk about it here, But who is the owner of the Binder Bulletin?

Also who "were" the staff.

Is the Binderplanet.com (in your sig)going to be the new site?
Old 01-23-2009

WOW...I truly hope for the sake of the IH community all that historical knowledge/information is not lost due some "disagreement"...that would be a severe disservice to the good folks of this community, a community that already has limited resources...work it out fellas.
Old 01-23-2009

It has always irk'd me how 'the politics' bring down a community. I do my best to support my family and help the community. Obviously I've done some things right, and alot of things wrong. Others are better business people ~ Some are not. People bitch and moan. Others sing praises. Frankly it sickens me that we let the differences of the few, upset and destroy what we've built, what we've worked so hard on.

Petty. Its just petty. With no disrespect to Ceasar or the loyal senators. I surely hope that after everyone has calmed down enough to see clearly that you can look back and state that NOT ONLY was your cause just ~ BUT YOU DID THE RIGHT THING AS WELL.

As for disagreements with 'paid' members. I believe that a person should be able to support a good cause. In an arena such as this, some may not have the knowledge to, but they can support $20 at a time. What harm is it to want to contribute? What harm is it to give? To truly cross the line from free-loader to an active community member? I believe that if there is any problem with it, that its NOT with the giving of it, but rather, what is happening with the money.

As for the loss of information. If the BB's information is lost. The blame falls squarely on the heads of those who took it down. Personally, I put DAYS/WEEKS worth of HOURS on the MiniBuilds I did in my forum there. Now that time and energy that was spent to bring the masses the info is lost. And at the moment, I'm not even sure I'll get it back.

Last edited by Damian G; 01-23-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2009

Bruce,

Thank you for the updated information as to the site status.

I, and others as shown above, can only hope that the wealth of information and FAQ's are not lost.

It was always nice to check out BB and get hints on keeping mine up to tune and attempting to assist others on their quest to keep the ol' iron running.

Bill
'66 Scout 800 Sport - Parts (Frame & drivetrain only)
'63 Scout 800, Dually - (SOLD)
Old 01-23-2009
Webmaster

Yes - we had a problem here a few years ago.

Justinternationals.org and BinderBulletin.org (See Tom's Later Post to Correct Me - Thanks for the Info Tom) were both originally club websites.

In our case there was a time when there was a question of ownership. The Just Internationals the club retained ownership and control of the site and database. All of the brouhaha Led to a hiccup of about a week, but no harm done.

As far as BB is concerned - Several years ago the BB developer implementing the supporting members (Which was - at first - a totally voluntary donation with no additional privileges added or revoked if you were or were not a supporter).
I am not 100% sure what happened after that point, but from what I gather, it appears that Bill started to approach members of the site that were frequent posters and implementing them as moderators to monitor and develop the site... I think - by and large - these moderators have done a good job from what I have seen over the years.

But now there is a misunderstanding - hopefully they can get it sorted.

As far as this site goes:
Justinternationals.org, or justih.org is, and will forever be, a club website that is owned and operated by members of the Just Internationals club. The site - and club - are not for profit, and all of my time and the moderator time is donated as a service to the club and the IH community. We offer up the site to all the IH community as a free service to aid with the restoration, maintenance, and build-up of IH products. We also enjoy having a community where people can share their adventures and ideas.

If someone from BB doesnt agree with my comments above - please feel free to correct me.

As a side note - to run this website has a actual cost of about $100 per year - perhaps less. All donations from advertisers on the site are put to and included in the raffle at the BinderBash or Christmas Party. I spend - perhaps - 1 hour per week on maintenance to the site because I personally approve all the members to try and keep spammers away. The moderators also probably devote a similar amount of time each week. Just wanted to give you an idea of what it takes to run a forums site so you can make your own decision on how far your donations go.
Old 01-23-2009

I have to echo the sentiments of Damian G above. The politics is always the most frustrating aspect of any group endeavor. To me this sounds like a classic case of 'creative differences' and I just wish it could be left at that, and that alone. The dissenting staff can establish their own site, the BB can continue to operate and the marketplace of consumers (us) can decide which we prefer to use.
The idea that Mr. Thebert might approach the BB as a business proposition doesn't discomfort me in the least. The phrase "for profit" isn't a dirty one in my vocabulary. The site might be great because of the unpaid contributions of its staff and members, the efforts of Mr. Thebert or (more likely) the combination of the two. Whatever the reason, the BB has become a real community that I've come to enjoy and rely upon. The human capital alone of all the hundreds or thousands of members across the country, reading and contributing to one site is incalculable and likely hard to replicate.
I don't want to say much more than that without more information. It's very easy to overreach in one's comments without sufficient information - and this is a veritable information vacuum. I can only hope that the old BB and, at the very least its archives, are soon restored in some form or another.
Closed Thread