Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > Binder Bench
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009

'78 Scout II Cummins 4BT Conversion

I have been waiting a long time to be able to say this: Welcome to the buildup thread for my '78 Scout II! The plan is to swap the Nissan SD33 and 4-Speed for a Cummins 4BT and ZF 5-Speed. Along the way; SOA, Driver's side drop front axle, Aftercooler, and probably many more unforeseen changes. I would appreciate any input that people have to offer, and would like to thank all of those that have answered my questions that allowed me to get to this point.

The Starting Point:
SD33, BW T-19, Dana 300, 31" tires, 3.54 gears, SUA
The (Hopefully) Finish Point:
4BT, ZF S5-47, NP 205, 33" tires, 3.54 gears, SOA

Quite the laundry list of things to do, but you have to start somewhere. At this point, I am still in the parts gathering phase. I am hoping to start the true conversion during this winter. However, I finally found a local person with a Chevy Step van (Who didn't want a gross amount of money for it), and purchased it. This thread is starting now so that I can detail the tear down of that truck as well.

I am working on figuring out how to post pictures. Once that happens, I will get some pictures of the scout as-is and the donor truck.

-

"A person can be smart, intelligent, ingenious. People are stupid."
Old 05-10-2009

'78 Scout II Cummins 4BT Conversion

OK: Pictures.

This was taken shortly after I got the SD33 back in for the second time. Long story... It is a Terra, converted from a Traveler by my Uncle. It has a 2" shackle lift, and 33" tires. Other then that, pretty well bone stock.

This is the van that I have bought. Got an absolutely insane deal on it. I have yet to bring it home because the previous owner still had gear in the back, and I am getting the starter repaired. Before anyone hemorrhages about buying a truck without driving it, I didn't. It has a 4-speed manual, so we pull-started it. The engine has 110,000 miles on it, and other than the starter, the only problem is a leaky seal on the injection pump. The van will probably be coming home next week, and the tear down will proceed as "time" (Read: "School") permits.

-

Old 05-12-2009
In the Land of Misfit Binders

Re: '78 Scout II Cummins 4BT Conversion

It sounds like you have it well thought out. I would recommend fixing the Killer Dowel Pin, replacing the rear main seal, and installing a 3200 rpm governor spring while the engine is out.
Old 05-12-2009

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have read and re-read your two builds as well as a couple of others, and I would like to think that I have things relatively completely thought out. Only time will tell! How hard of a job is it going to be to replace the rear main seal? Also, The tranny that I am planning on using is the one that was put behind late model powerstrokes. I am hoping that this means the gears are properly spaced for a diesel. It is a big block tranny though, so it will not fit the ford bellhousing that came on the 4bt, even if I had one. How much of a job would it be to fab an adapter instead of buying one? I have the tools to do it, but I don't know if it is worth the effort. Thoughts?

On another note: Are you coming to the Binder Bee in Brooks, OR, this year? I would like to have another look at your rig up close.

-

Old 05-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bladesmith View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have read and re-read your two builds as well as a couple of others, and I would like to think that I have things relatively completely thought out. Only time will tell! How hard of a job is it going to be to replace the rear main seal? Also, The tranny that I am planning on using is the one that was put behind late model powerstrokes. I am hoping that this means the gears are properly spaced for a diesel. It is a big block tranny though, so it will not fit the ford bellhousing that came on the 4bt, even if I had one. How much of a job would it be to fab an adapter instead of buying one? I have the tools to do it, but I don't know if it is worth the effort. Thoughts?

On another note: Are you coming to the Binder Bee in Brooks, OR, this year? I would like to have another look at your rig up close.

The big-block ZF is probably a wide ratio if that is what you are after. The diesel ZF would be a close ratio. They have different patterns. Either one would require an adapter to the ford flywheel housing. The rear main seal is no big deal to replace.

I would also recommend installed a remote ford style starter solenoid. The stock scout wiring doesn't seem to like cranking over those diesel starters without the extra relay.

I installed one engine with the ford style motor mounts and the other with the GM style mounts. The ford style was easier to work with. They are the same ones used on the first generation dodge trucks with the 12 valves. They are more compact and softer.

I do plan on going down to the Binder Bee again this year. Are you going to have it done in time?
Old 05-13-2009

I am thinking the close ratio. From what I understand of diesels (And narrow power bands), that will be the more desirable way to go. As to the Starter Relay, I don't understand what you are suggesting I replace. The scout that I have came stock with a diesel in it. Could it be that problem has already been addressed?
You said something about the engine mounts. Are you talking about the rubber vibration absorbing part, or the shape of the steel part of the mount itself?
Also, on a completely different note; With a SOA conversion, what are the effects going to be on the handling? Assuming the higher center of gravity will create more body roll, what can be done to compensate?
Sorry for all of the newbie questions. I am starving for information. Unfortunately, there is no chance of it being done in time for the Binder Bee. However, I will be there with my Scout this time (Now that it is actually running).

-

Old 05-13-2009

Quote:
I am thinking the close ratio. From what I understand of diesels (And narrow power bands), that will be the more desirable way to go.
A close ratio would be nice. But if your transmission is from a 460 it would be a wide ratio.
Quote:
As to the Starter Relay, I don't understand what you are suggesting I replace. The scout that I have came stock with a diesel in it. Could it be that problem has already been addressed?
I'm suggesting adding a ford starter solenoid to reduce the current through the stock wiring harness.
Quote:
You said something about the engine mounts. Are you talking about the rubber vibration absorbing part, or the shape of the steel part of the mount itself?
Yes the rubber isolaters. The ford units are smaller and softer. You will have to make new upper engine brakets as well as the frame mounts. But you would have had to do that anyway since the engine brackets you have were designed to have the engine tilted to one side.
Quote:
Also, on a completely different note; With a SOA conversion, what are the effects going to be on the handling? Assuming the higher center of gravity will create more body roll, what can be done to compensate?
Sorry for all of the newbie questions. I am starving for information. Unfortunately, there is no chance of it being done in time for the Binder Bee. However, I will be there with my Scout this time (Now that it is actually running).
Use wider offset wheels and keep the stock shackle crossbar in the front and it should be fine. Mine handles great.
Old 05-17-2009
Addicted to Gear Oil

I'm fairly certain that the gas and diesel bell housing pattern is different on the ZF transmissions. If yours came from a PSD, then it should be close ratio.

I'm swapping a 7.3L PSD and ZFS5-47 into my S80. There should be a tag on the driver's side with the model and 1st and 5th gear ratio so you can tell if you have close or wide ratio.

I *think* you might be able to use the adapter from the back of a PSD to attach the ZF to your 4BT. IIRC the International/Navistar diesels have an SAE pattern and use a ~1" adapter to attach the ZF. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same SAE pattern as the 4BT. Might be worth taking a look.

Kinda hard to see in that pic, but when I pulled the flywheel to upgrade the clutch, it looked like the adapter was a seperate piece.

Quote:
ZF introduced the S5-47 in 1995 and was used in the Ford F250, F350, F450 and Super Duty trucks.

All gears on the S5-47 are fully synchronized with an input torque rating of 470 ft-lb

Standard gear ratios on the ZF S5-47:

Close Ratio - 7.3L Diesel
1st Gear: 5.08
2nd Gear: 2.60
3rd Gear: 1.53
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.77
Rev Gear: 4.66
Wide Ratio
1st Gear: 5.72
2nd Gear: 2.94
3rd Gear: 1.61
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.76
Rev Gear: 5.24

The ZF S5-47 main case cast number is 1317

1965 Scout 80- 7.3PSD/ZF/203/205 D60F/14BFF
Member: 4 Jackstand Wheeler's Association

Last edited by guidolyons; 05-17-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
I *think* you might be able to use the adapter from the back of a PSD to attach the ZF to your 4BT. IIRC the International/Navistar diesels have an SAE pattern and use a ~1" adapter to attach the ZF. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same SAE pattern as the 4BT. Might be worth taking a look.
That is a VERY interesting idea. It would save me machining or buying an adapter if it works. Anyone else have thoughts about this? One potential problem that I can see would be a starter. Is the PSD adapter going to change the placement of the starter on the 4BT, and if so, what could I use in place of it? I will peruse the internet and see if anything turns up about the bolt patterns. You would think if the solution was this easy someone would have done it already...

-

Old 05-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
I'm fairly certain that the gas and diesel bell housing pattern is different on the ZF transmissions. If yours came from a PSD, then it should be close ratio.

I'm swapping a 7.3L PSD and ZFS5-47 into my S80. There should be a tag on the driver's side with the model and 1st and 5th gear ratio so you can tell if you have close or wide ratio.

Kinda hard to see in that pic, but when I pulled the flywheel to upgrade the clutch, it looked like the adapter was a seperate piece.
The Ford "7.3" apps used a "460" bellhousing that is what you have on the one pictured, The IH "444" apps used a SAE bellhousing. The 4BTs that were swapped into Ford chassis have a "460" bellhousing. Those that went into Chevys had a SBC bellhousing. The 6BT used in Dodges have a Chrysler pattern bellhousing, and of course there are also SAE bellhousings for the BTs.

Since Bladesmith's came out of a Chevy chassis it will have the SBC bellhousing on it. You should be able to find someone who will trade for a 460 pattern unit though. Then with the right flywheel/clutch set up it will be a bolt together deal.
Old 05-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The 4BTs that were swapped into Ford chassis have a "460" bellhousing.

No, they are the small block pattern.
Old 05-17-2009

So, just to summarize what has been discussed: The piece that connects the PSD block to the large block ZF S5-47 will not bolt on to the block of a 4BT. Correct? I kind of thought that might be the case, otherwise the adapters would not be necessary. What a pity that block bolt patterns aren't relatively standard. It would make life so much easier...

-

Old 05-17-2009
Addicted to Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The Ford "7.3" apps used a "460" bellhousing that is what you have on the one pictured, The IH "444" apps used a SAE bellhousing.
Yeah, know that's not the SAE pattern bellhousing, I could see what looked like a SAE pattern on the back of the block, it looked like that adapter is a seperate piece that comes off.

I'd pull it off and take a picture, but I finally got it installed in the Scout and I'm not takin' it back out.

1965 Scout 80- 7.3PSD/ZF/203/205 D60F/14BFF
Member: 4 Jackstand Wheeler's Association
Old 05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
No, they are the small block pattern.
The most common are the SB, but I have seen a 4BT to 460/7.3 trans adapter on E-bay, and it looked to be OE Iron unit. I guess it could have been a FordCummins.com unit but those are aluminum and expensive, so I don't think the guy would have let it go for only ~$150 IIRC.

Quote:
So, just to summarize what has been discussed: The piece that connects the PSD block to the large block ZF S5-47 will not bolt on to the block of a 4BT. Correct? I kind of thought that might be the case, otherwise the adapters would not be necessary. What a pity that block bolt patterns aren't relatively standard. It would make life so much easier...
Correct the 7.3/444 adapter only fits it and the MV 404/446.
Old 11-22-2009

OK: Time for an update!
I have been busy on this project as time has allowed. So far this is what I have done:
-Scrapped out the bread van
-Chopped and installed a 6BT manifold
-Installed a Vacuum/Power steering pump
-Bought and installed 24v adapter plate and flywheel
-Bought 2002 Ford intercooler
-Bought Dodge NV4500
-Bought Ford Driver's side drop NP205

Finals week for school is the second week in December. As soon as that is done, the current engine/tranny/t-case will be out and the new one will start going in! I decided to go with a Dodge tranny because it was going to be less expensive, and I could use stock Dodge parts from the engine on back. The For tranny set up would have cost me about $2000 for the adapter plate and a transmission. This set up is costing me about $1000. If my calculations are correct the entire swap is going to cost me about $2200. Not too bad, especially considering that it should pay for itself in 3-4k miles!

-

Old 11-22-2009

Teardown of the truck:

All I can say is that I would never consider tearing down one of these trucks without a Sawsall, and I highly recommend having air ratchets too.

As the seat still being on it suggests, I did take it for a spin without the body. Perhaps not one of my more intelligent choices, but it sure was fun!

-

Old 11-22-2009

A few more:

This is the engine after being pulled and cleaned of grease a bit. With the installation of the new adapter plate the starter is now on the other side. If you look just to the left of the engine, you can see my Ford NP205 sitting on the floor.

This is the chopped 6BT manifold with the turbo resting on top of it. The new manifold moves the turbo mounting point up and forward giving me more firewall clearance. I really want to have the shift levers for the tranny and t-case come out of the stock locations, so I need to get the engine back as far as possible. Moving the t-case shifter to the opposite side is going to need some clever linkage, but I am determined to have the interior look stock.
Hopefully I will have another update within the next week or two. I need to stop slacking.

-

Old 12-13-2009

Steering Issues

I am finally to the point that I can start fabbing engine mounts and a trans crossmember. I am going to do the SOA first, mostly to get the extra clearance underneath. What I am trying to figure out is how to measure for the correct placement of the new spring perches, and what I am going to need to do for steering linkage. With the perches, can I (At least on the back axle) just put the new perches in over the old ones and measure from the tips so they are parallel? Will that give me the pinion angle that I am looking for, or do I need to have the trans in first so that I can gauge the angle for the pinion off the trans output? How do I measure for the correct angle on the front axle? Finally, what needs to be done about linkage for the steering? I am not sure if I need to find a drop pittman arm, or what is going to be necessary. I would really appreciate input from CSmith, as he has done two of these, but I welcome any ideas.

-

Old 12-13-2009
Loose Binder Nut

Sounds like some good progress so far.
I can't be much technical help but know the basics.with the rear axle setup you need to keep the ujoints(pinion and tcase) within 3 degrees of eachother to avoid vibrations.
As far as steering you can use a Z-bar setup(I got one from Damian at D&C Extreme and works great), or hi-steer using flatop knuckles. People generally point the front pinion towards the transfercase to avoid extreme angles , then use CV joints to lesson the vibrations , but this may require a "cut&turn" of the axle if extreme.I would recommend preping the front axle housing and mockup the angle, which would be better if you knew where the tcase was going to be.
Goodluck,Jon.
70 1300 4x4 Travelette,"Clifford",'75 200 1ton 4x4 w/service bed , '74 ScoutII,36x14.50 swampers ,AKA:Rusty ,SOA,RS,D44/D608hole/narrowed,divorced NP202,6 point cage to frame,'"79 SII(Wifes)SOA,304 , 4sp., 37" ProComps, 8000lb. Warn .73'1210 4x4Travelall,392,4sp.,barndoors , 8" lift in progress(She wants 38's). '64 1300 1 ton Travelette 4x4 "Tatonka".
(2)1980 Scouts with consecutive serial numbers..
Old 12-13-2009

Get the drivetrain installed first so you know where you transfercase outputs will be.
Old 12-20-2009

Ok, this is probably going to be a long update, as I have been working ALOT over the past week. Lets see if I can do this chronologically...

First, I cleared out the engine bay of that wretched Nissan Diesel!

Then I installed the new clutch and pressure plate. I suspect that the clutch is some sort of upgraded clutch because it looks nothing like the stocker!

Next, I got out the Advance Adapters kit for Dodge NV4500-Ford NP205, and made the necessary clearances. I wish they would have just made the adapter plate another .6 inch thicker so there would be no need to modify the tailhousing or cut the mainshaft. If somebody knows why they didn't, let me know!

-

Old 12-20-2009

Next I got the trans hooked up to the engine. It was very nice to be able to use all stock Dodge parts!

Slid the engine in to check clearances and measure for engine mounts. The shift lever was easy to place in the stock location, and there is still plenty of firewall clearance.

These are the mounts. I am using the Chevy Lumina (Anchor 2548) mounts. They took quite a bit of head-scratching to get right. They still have a bit of trimming and finish welding before they are done, but this is the general idea. (Passenger side first, then drivers side)

This is the first time that I bolted the entire drivetrain together at the same time. You can see the old trans and t-case in the background. The new drivetrain is only 4 inches longer than the stock setup.

Tomorrow I hopefully will get the mounts finished, and get the trans cross member fabricated. Then, I can do the springover and get drivelines and such made. I don't think it will be finished by Christmas, but should be done shortly thereafter. Merry Christmas Present to Me!!

-

Old 12-21-2009

It looks good. How soft are the lumina mounts? Your engine looks like it further back than mine. How much room do you have for the turbo downpipe?
Old 12-22-2009

The Lumina mounts aren't what I would call "Soft", but you can tell they are liquid filled. For an engine mount, I suppose soft would be an apt term. They are big though, and should be plenty stout. I fully expect them to absorb alot of the vibrations.
As to the downpipe, I think I have a whole lot more room than you do. With the chopped manifold and the starter located on the other side, the only thing that could present problems will be the heater fan housing. Even that shouldn't be in the way.
I am going to finish the trans cross member tomorrow, and then the engine should go in for good. Hopefully have that all done tomorrow.

-

Old 12-22-2009

Very cool build man I have a 80 terra and would love to do this swap also. Keep up the good work