Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > Binder Bench
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS CHATROOM FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010
Growing the french fries you love!

Scout II fuel gauge weirdness--advanced question

I've done troubleshooting on fuel gauges several times...this one has me stumped. When I bought the Scout, no gauges worked. The temp and oil pressure gauges were sender issues, they now work perfectly. Still no fuel gauge. If I disconnect the wire to the sender and short it to frame, the gauge does not move--but a mutimeter reads only 5 ohms resistance (basically a closed circuit). If I hook the fuel gauge to 12 volts and very briefly energize it, it moves up to full easily. Took apart the gauge pod, everything looks great. Dash wiring does not look bad (and anyway, I've got a circuit to the tank). Voltage test at wire from CRV to gauge pod looks good, voltage goes up and down in the 5 volt range. Resistance through the sender would make it appear the unit is working properly, or at least working to a certain degree. Ground for gauges is good, the panel lights work, no other issues...This is kinda the last accessory repair I have.

I don't want to just start throwing parts at it, as I don't think that's the issue. I've seen wires carry voltage but no amperage, but those were starter solonoid energizing wires that were eaten up with battery acid. This one really has me stumped...a fuel gauge doesn't draw any amperage, so it should be working. Should I consult a priest or does anyone have even a guess where to start?
Old 08-03-2011

Re: Scout II fuel gauge weirdness--advanced question

Did you ever find the problem? I'm troubleshooting a similar issue. Replaced the CRV, about to drop the tank and pull the sender, but I really don't want to.
Old 08-04-2011
Fell off an International Turnip Truck

Check the sending unit side of the gauge for the pulsing 5 volts. If your wire is making good contact to the gauge, the voltage will be present all the way to the sending unit (voltage with no current on an open circuit). A ground at that point should peg the gauge.

If you have voltage in to the (+) side of the gauge, but not at the (-) (sending unit wire) side of the gauge, your gauge is defective. The internal resistance of the gauge is about 13-15 ohms on all the ones I have checked.
Old 08-04-2011

I used a 9v battery to check the gauge, and it worked. My multimeter shows oscillating voltage when I connect one end to the # 36 wire and the other to a ground, so I guess that leaves the sender? It's just strange it failed so abruptly.
Old 08-04-2011

It is common for the sender to lose the ground on the fuel tank. You may just have a bad ground. It could pay you to check the sender with an ohm meter to find out.

I cleverly painted my travelall tank one time so that it would last longer. Then I found out that the straps against the bare metal provided a ground for the sender. Seemed a bit less clever an idea after that...
Old 08-10-2011

Small hijack here with a question? Can the gauge be bad (internal ) and still show a reading at the rear wire that the sender plugs into? I get a pulsing light at the rear and my sender shows to be good and when I ground the pulsaing wire the guage will not show a reading? thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2011

Yes. The gauge can be defective in that manner, but don't rely on a test light. You really do need a meter.

If you ground the gauge, it should peg. Make sure it's a good ground.
Old 08-12-2011
Growing the french fries you love!

never did figure it out, I ended up moving and sold the Scout. Other than something weird, like wires corroded inside the insulator (which I have seen on tractors), it had to be something with the gauge. Definitely one of the weirder problems I've come up against over the years.