Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > Binder Bench
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS CHATROOM FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010

Holley 2300 problem

To start off I would like to give you some history about what is going on with my Scout and what i have in my Scout. My Scout is a 1976 and has a 304 with a T-19 wide range. So far this is what I did. I had the distributor rebuilt totally with a pentrincs ignition and new holly 2300 carb. About 4 months ago I started to have a carb problem. It would sputter, cough and just would not run right while I was going up an incline while driving. I had a guy in the club go through it and change the jets and stuff to get it to run better. While he was doing that I decided to replace the floors and body mounts in my scout. So it sat for three months while I was working on it. When I drop the skid plate and tank I noticed that the fuel line was crimped for some reason. So I thought that this was the problem of the carb. I ran new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump thinking this solves the problem even though I got the carb worked on. So after getting the floors and body mounts finished I went to Terra Del Sol. The scout ran great with out a problem until I was coming home I started to drive up the same incline thats when it started again sputtering coughing and what ever else I forgetting. Just like before.

So here is the $5.00 question Am I looking up the wrong tree thinking it's the carb? If it is the carb what can I do to fix it; and is there anything on the carb that I can check to see if it is the carb?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010

Re: Holley 2300 problem

Check the fuel pump pressure and the float level in the carb. If you have filters in the fuel line, be sure they are clean. What was the reason for changing the main jets in the carb? The stock jets would be the #62 in a 350 cfm or #52 in the 275 cfm Holley 2300 carb for sea level operation. One # smaller for each 2000 ft increase in elevation, but the jets work well enough to cover a 4000 ft range of elevation. Check the power valve, get a #6.0 for the 350 carb or the 8.5 for the 275 cfm carb.
Bill
Old 03-11-2010

Thanks for the help Bill. On the fuel filter I had changed it when I changed the fuel line. How can I find out what jet I have in the carb right now? Is there a number on the jet or is it a diameter that I can mic to find out what it is? I was running from below sea level to about 4200 feet to and from the ride.

I was thinking about changing out the float to one that is four wheel friendlier. If I do this what float should I get for a Holley 2300 350 cfm?

On the power valve how do I check it to see if it is good or bad?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010
Growing the french fries you love!

just throwing out ideas here...fuel tank not venting properly, vacuum/vapor locking? Maybe wrong fuel cap or something screwed up with the emmisions?
Old 03-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 Scout RT View Post
Thanks for the help Bill. On the fuel filter I had changed it when I changed the fuel line. How can I find out what jet I have in the carb right now? Is there a number on the jet or is it a diameter that I can mic to find out what it is? I was running from below sea level to about 4200 feet to and from the ride.

I was thinking about changing out the float to one that is four wheel friendlier. If I do this what float should I get for a Holley 2300 350 cfm?

On the power valve how do I check it to see if it is good or bad?

Thanks
The main jets will have the #size stamped into the side of the jet. Don't try using a 'wire' to get the size. Below sea level to 4200 ft is just about max for one jet size but as you aren't staying at either extreme, I will suggest a #62 for the main jet in a 350 cfm 2300. Do use a low restriction air filter (K&N). I think you will find that advancing the base timeing for the higher elevation will eliminate the need for changing the jets for the range you covered. Just will have to turn the dist back to the position for your final use. The center hung float seems to be more friendly than the side hung design for bumpin and shaken! I like the brass float, but I have a 68 Travelall 4X4 with the 304A block. The carb is 'side hung' off a Ford at the wrecker about 25 years ago, and it doesn't get the rough rides. If the power valve was bad or the main body of the carb is warped, the motor would run 'rich' from fuel. Wouldn't idle well either. If the engine idles correctly, the power valve is probably good enough. As the 350 cfm carb is really over capacity for the 304 engine, you should be able to use a later opening power valve = less than a 6.0 valve. When it needs to be replaced, look for a 5.0.
If the carb is good, check the ignition. Make sure the mechanical and vacuum advance is correct and the shaft is relatively tight in the housing. Plug wires and the #sparkplugs. The #5 and #7 plug wires should be kept apart. New wire kits include a 'long' wire for the #7 plug. The #7 can be run around the back side of he carb and then down to the plug. (but I don't do it)
Bill