Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Classifieds > IHC Parts Wanted
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010

Exclamation Fan Clutch

I have what I believe is a 1974 improved cooling 392 v-8 motor. It has a bad fan clutch. Its the old style with the screw on nut which measures about 30 mm and has 3' across the bolt holes. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to have my one of my local parts warehouses grab a couple off of the shelf to compare to see if I can get one that works. As I am new here, I would appreciate any honest help there is.

I am hoping to solve this issue as this is the only thing from me driving it.

Thank you

1969 1200 pick up
Old 11-09-2010

Re: Fan Clutch

I have seen these for sale on ebay. New old stock.

You can help yourself by looking up the IH part number in the IH Parts Manual for your truck.
Many replacement parts manufacturers will cross reference their P/N to the IH P/N.
Old 11-09-2010

I also have a 74 with a 392 and it needed a fan clutch also. Instead of oaying a fortune for one, I just bought the new water pump and fan clutch from SSS..easy to do..
Old 11-09-2010
'78 Scout II Traveler

I had the same problem with my old truck. I took off the clutch fan and put electric fans on instead.
Old 11-10-2010

I have looked at the electric fan option and but because the previous owner has cut out part of the front where the radiator bolts on (its now almost from inside wheel well to inside wheel well), its going to cost me about $500 for a cheaper fan set up plus then the temp switch and other setup stuff. Any ideas where I might find an inexpensive yet trustworthy electric setup?

What about if I just weld/glue the clutch fan solid so it runs all the time like a regular fan? I have a doouble pulley setup currently. I had also though about cutting the fan clutch off and welding a plate to mount the fan onto and just doing away with the whole clutch setup?

I didn't realize that no one makes them any more. I'm hoping I haven't looked in the right place yet.
Old 11-10-2010

Just get the bolt on style water pump then you can run either a conventional style fan clutch or a fixed fan. The new water pump, clutch and fan blade will run less than the big nut fan clutch if you can find one.
Old 11-10-2010
'78 Scout II Traveler

I have had great luck with the summit racing push fans. Not only do they work better I think, but they clean up the inside of your engine bay. I have found full sets for about $200-$600 depends on how nice of a one you want. the only problem with the fan running all the time it takes a bit longer for everything to warm up especially in the winter.
Old 11-10-2010
'78 Scout II Traveler

just went online and found fan clutches for about $30 for the 392
Old 11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjerbeck View Post
just went online and found fan clutches for about $30 for the 392
That is for the conventional style fan clutch not the big nut style like he has, which run much more when you can find them. Which is why it is cheaper to spring for the new water pump that can use the $30 fan clutch. The only problem is the OE fan has 6 bolts so you'll need to head to the wrecking yard and find the right diameter fan from a GM or Ford with the same 4 bolt pattern as the $30 universal fan clutch. You can buy them new from some of the fan clutch companies.
Old 11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That is for the conventional style fan clutch not the big nut style like he has, which run much more when you can find them. Which is why it is cheaper to spring for the new water pump that can use the $30 fan clutch. The only problem is the OE fan has 6 bolts so you'll need to head to the wrecking yard and find the right diameter fan from a GM or Ford with the same 4 bolt pattern as the $30 universal fan clutch. You can buy them new from some of the fan clutch companies.
Thanks Eric. Any suggestions? The only ones I remember being around was Fitz in Woodinville where the crap factory is now.
Old 11-10-2010
Growing the french fries you love!

Info for what it's worth...

If the clutch can be opened up, and it's just missing the magic mojo juice inside, you can get it from Toyota. Apparently some of the old Land Cruisers had serviceable fan clutches. It comes in 3 or 4 different thicknesses. I had to rebuild a fan clutch on an 85 Chevy Kodiak with the Cat 3208 engine, the fan clutch was unobtanium...got lucky and just ordered 3 tubes of silicone, opened it up, and put the stuff in along with a new o-ring. Last I checked it was still running.

Just an idea for what it's worth. Can't remember the part number, but any good Toyota dealer should be able to locate it (just ask for the parts guy with the most experience)

mf
Old 11-11-2010

There is still a few junkyards up in the Lynwood area including a Pull-a-Part or similar self serve yard. Otherwise it's head to the Kent Valley with Green River, Budget, or Southend all offering self serve.

You want to get one with the same diameter and at least as many blades as the one that is on there now.