Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > Binder Bench
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2004

Holley 5200/Weber jet info needed..

Have the Holley 5200 from Stovebolt and need some info.
It came with 170 jets in the primary and 125 for the secondary. Its dumping gas no matter how I tune it so I know it needs rejetting. What is a good base to start with? I'm at 0 sea level.
Its on a good BD264.

Also!

What do the two (2) screws on each side of the carb do? How do you tune them? I've been on the Redline Weber site and everywhere else and I can't find out. Are they air bleed screws.
Set the choke, idle mixture and speed but can't figure out what they do!

Thanks for any info

rick
Old 11-01-2004
Doug Shailor

Re: Holley 5200/Weber jet info needed..

Quote:
Originally posted by A120er
Have the Holley 5200 from Stovebolt and need some info.
It came with 170 jets in the primary and 125 for the secondary. Its dumping gas no matter how I tune it so I know it needs rejetting. What is a good base to start with? I'm at 0 sea level.
Its on a good BD264.

Also!

What do the two (2) screws on each side of the carb do? How do you tune them? I've been on the Redline Weber site and everywhere else and I can't find out. Are they air bleed screws.
Set the choke, idle mixture and speed but can't figure out what they do!

Thanks for any info

rick
Rick,

I don't know the answers to your questions but I do know that Holley sells an inexpensive service guide that includes the 5200. It's called Holley Service Guide No.1 (PN:36-70) for about $4. You can call them and order it. Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FMSC/FMSC.html

I checked the Holley List Number document for the 5200 and it is there but there is no rebuild kit listed. BTW, whenever you ask questions about carbs it is much easier for us to help if you mention the list number. That allows us to look up info specific to your carb not just the model (5200). Holley has about a dozen list numbers for the 5200.

If you don't know what it is check this web site for where it is stamped: http://www.carburetorfactory.com/illus1.html

If you will post the list number I can look in my Hygrade catalog to see if they make a rebuild kit for it.
Old 11-01-2004

Ask Tom Langdon. If you give him some data about your application, he is very supportive. Go to the website and ask the boss.
Old 11-01-2004

More info on carb and questions....

The carb numbers follow. On the top is says 6530. There is even a stock sticker listing the same number and date: 8/20/86.

On the bottom lip, it reads R-7559.

This is on a 1958 A120, with the BD264 straight six engine.

Travis, I'm still confused about the 'screws.' Are the screws jets that can be adjusted? These are on the outside of the carb.
Remember that this is the same carb 'everyone' gets from Stovebolt when they get the progressive carb.
The one on the secondary side has almost no adjustment. About a 1/8" turn so it might be stuck.

I know about the tubes & the main jets but I just can't figure out what these are!

If they are the idle screws, then what is the single one sticking out into the primary bore?

rick

1958 A120 4x4
BD264 bored .030 from I.H.
Weber Prgressive/HEI Dizzy (soon)
Springover

1974 Scout 2
Fast & Ugly

Still working on the Weber tuning procedure. Main jets,idol screws, air tubes, air bleed screws oh my
Old 11-01-2004

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin
weber/holley jets

Travis, can you post your jet specs for your 196, I about to install mine and was wondering about jet sizes. TIA
Old 11-01-2004
Doug Shailor

Re: More info on carb and questions....

Quote:
Originally posted by A120er
The carb numbers follow. On the top is says 6530. There is even a stock sticker listing the same number and date: 8/20/86.

On the bottom lip, it reads R-7559.

This is on a 1958 A120, with the BD264 straight six engine.

Travis, I'm still confused about the 'screws.' Are the screws jets that can be adjusted? These are on the outside of the carb.
Remember that this is the same carb 'everyone' gets from Stovebolt when they get the progressive carb.
The one on the secondary side has almost no adjustment. About a 1/8" turn so it might be stuck.

I know about the tubes & the main jets but I just can't figure out what these are!

If they are the idle screws, then what is the single one sticking out into the primary bore?

rick
Rick,

Well, I stand corrected about a Holley Renew kit being available. It seems there are a lot of Holley carbs that were used on IH vehicles that are not in the Holley List Number Document.

I did find one in the Holley Remaned listing for your carb list number (7559). It is Holley Renew Kit #3-728. You probably will have to call Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/) or Jeg's (http://www.jegs.com/) to get one. I seriously doubt they stock it and I would bet money they don't list it on the web sites. I had to call to get kits for the Holley 2210's used on SII's. They just have Holley drop ship it to you.

I also found that Hygrade (Standard) also has kits too. Theirs are 679A or 679B.

Personally I prefer to use Holley kits on Holley carbs. They may be a little more money but they have better after assembly adjustment specs and diagrams on how to make these adjustments.

I looked at the 5200 in the service guide I mentioned in my first post. I have a copy as it includes the 2210 and 2245 used on SII's. It has a number of pics and diagrams for your carb.

There is one idle mixture screw that controls fuel in the primary venturi. It controls fuel at idle and a little off idle. The secondary venturi does not have an idle mixture screw. If this idle mixture is the one with very little adjustment it may have a plastic limiter cap on it. That was common practice so folks couldn't mess with emissions stuff.

The other screw is a low speed idle screw. It appears to control idle speed probably AFTER the idle mixture screw has been adjusted.

I really recommend you get that service guide ($4 plus freight)and if it were my carb I would get the Holley Renew kit too because the later has the new gaskets you should use after you replace the jets and will also have all the adjustment specs too.
Old 11-01-2004

Thumbs up Thanks everyone..

Believe me, I can work on Carbs like the next guy but sometimes I go the 'need info now' route instead of stopping and thinking. I did read every post on the Binder & J.I. sites though and couldn't find the exact info i needed.

Doug. Service Guide is on the way and the kit too. It will help when I fine tune this baby like she never has before. Guess I need to order thoes jets too. Wouldn't mind to look at the jet/engine size chart for a guide.

rick

1958 A120 4x4
BD264 bored .030 from I.H.
Weber Prgressive/HEI Dizzy (soon)
Springover

1974 Scout 2
Fast & Ugly

Still working on the Weber tuning procedure. Main jets,idol screws, air tubes, air bleed screws oh my