Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Classifieds > IHC Parts Wanted
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS CHATROOM FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2004

Split Rim wheels

I know that a bunch of people have disposed of their Split-Rim Wheels in favor of the more popular (and safer) Budd wheels. I have decided to keep my originals, but would like to have a spare in case one of mine goes flat while I'm driving around. If any of you have replaced your wheels and they'll fit my 1965 Loadstar, I am interested...

These are 6-lug rims, 19 1/2 inches over the spread and fits an 8.25X20 tire. Any leads would be appreciated.

Last edited by PENNTELLECT; 11-10-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2004

split rims

i've got some here in ohio,$50.00 ea.,w/tire--jeff
Old 11-11-2004

Jeff,

What condition is the rubber in? Think it'd be worth my while in shipping to leave it on or take it off? Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance: Penntellect@aol.com
Old 11-12-2004

split rims

what size holes are they for the studs?3/4" or 7/8"?jeff
Old 11-29-2004
partedout

split rims

i know most folks work real hard to make their rides original. but the thought of putting split rims on the road, is dangerous! i have had a lot of 1rst hand interaction with them. in 1982 four after NHTSA, ISSUED A PRODUCT RECALL AND NO REPLACEMENT ORDER, I WAS A TIRE AND ROAD service man,for city of tulsa ok we had a hot box, a truck that has a propane tank and burners to keep asphalt hot in an oven in back. taking an easy offramp on intersate 44, it suffered wheel separation at less than 25mph. the truck rolled and burned two friends to death& fried the third. i have also had catostophic separation, while letting the air out of one for tire demounting. i had that one in a cage. At 60 lbs. psi, an 8.25x20 tire that experiences C.W.S. (catostrophic wheel separation) Has enough force( ENERGY) to lift a 8000 lb. truck 8 feet in the air. they truly are an idea who time has passed. the replacement Safety Rim, is called that because it is. Here is the address to the largest new wheel manufacture in the world. (www.accuridecorp.com/ ) go there then to the safety guidelines, Thanks for posting , i dont want to p--s on anybodies parade,( by not using the split rims, the life you save may be some elses.)
Old 12-02-2004

Split rim

Hi I also have split rims on my 1951 L-160 and they are in good condition I recently had a tube repaired by a local tire shop with a safety cage but they had never seen a wheel like mine. It has a solid ring and the rim is split thru were the valve stem exits the wheel so to remove the tire you collapse the rim and remove the ring. Well any way they would not inflate it without it mounted on the hub? Is this an odd rim or did all old internationals have these?
Old 12-02-2004
Smile this is as good as it gets

Re: Split rim

Quote:
Originally posted by Redtoolman
Hi I also have split rims on my 1951 L-160 and they are in good condition I recently had a tube repaired by a local tire shop with a safety cage but they had never seen a wheel like mine. It has a solid ring and the rim is split thru were the valve stem exits the wheel so to remove the tire you collapse the rim and remove the ring. Well any way they would not inflate it without it mounted on the hub? Is this an odd rim or did all old internationals have these?
You have the first split rims or the older version of what we think of as split rims I had a 53 Ford 2 ton come in with those kind on them. I'm surprized your tire man even touch it.

Repeat after me "You cant save them all, You cant save them all, You cant save them all"
Old 12-03-2004

Re: Split rim

Quote:
Originally posted by Redtoolman
Those wheels have been ilegal to use since the 60's. NEVER TAKE ONE OFF THE HUB UNLESS THE TIRE IS DEFLATED! DO NOT EVEN LOOSEN THE BOLTS, THOSE RIMS WILL SLIP AND KILL YOU. I would look around and find the later wheels with the split ring and throw those old wheels away. Even better would be to find a set of the modern drop center wheels for your DAYTON hubs. They should be easy to find at any heavy truck salvage yard. Those old split wheels will even come apart when properly bolted to the wheel. The little bump or dimple in the split gets worn and lets the rim slip, acts as a ramp to let it slip EASILY!!!They have killed more people than all the other styles of split rims put together.
PARTS FOR 2 other SCOUT80's
1954 IH 300U tractor
Member Senora Desert Scouts

Last edited by TimS; 12-04-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2004

Thanks Tim
You may have just saved a life. I did not know this about them and I will be on the lookout for some replacments
Redtoolman
Old 12-10-2004

Thanks for being smart, I had a friend killed by one of those when I was young and he knew what he was doing. When you find the new wheels take a torch and destroy those split rims so some fool cannot use them.
PARTS FOR 2 other SCOUT80's
1954 IH 300U tractor
Member Senora Desert Scouts
Old 03-15-2005

Re: Split Rim wheels

if you have any pictures of what a split rim looks like that would be great. i'm sure my truck has them on it, and iam curious about putting the new type on them. does any one know a price range for the new rims, and are they the same size?
Old 03-15-2005

i believe stockton wheel sell modern replacements for these rims. brad
Old 03-26-2005

I have a set of 15" split rims that are coming of my 1970 Travelall next week if anybpdy wants them.

Drew Elson
Kerrville.TX

210-478-7985

(is there any other kind?)
Old 05-24-2005

I have a 1966 International pickup truck, 1200A, that has 16" split rims. I would like to change these to tubeless rims. Does anyone have a set of these? I can get regular, after-market rims, but I want to keep my original hubcaps.
Old 05-24-2005

do you need 6 lug rims?if so,you'll prolly have to go with after market rims,jeff,they just aren't around,non-split rims,6 lug. : innocent
Old 05-24-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66International
I have a 1966 International pickup truck, 1200A, that has 16" split rims. I would like to change these to tubeless rims. Does anyone have a set of these? I can get regular, after-market rims, but I want to keep my original hubcaps.
There is a guy over on Oldihc that couldn't find any 6 lug tubeless he ended up special ordering some. Cost him big Bucks $$$$$.
I have CRS real bad and don't remember where or for how much, Sorry

Repeat after me "You cant save them all, You cant save them all, You cant save them all"