Binder Bench

Go Back   Binder Bench > Main Tech Forums > IH Truck, Travelall, & Travelette
Home Register PhotoPost FORUMS FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007

{Cease fire, boys!} IH or Holley distributor?

Update: I was only wondering if one had a better spark curve, or inherent problems, or whatever. I only referred to one of them as an IH distributor as the rotor and other internal parts had "IH" cast into them. Did some research and came up with my own conclusion. Thanks for the input.

My '73 1210 is due for a tuneup, I am currently running the Holley distributor, but I have an IH distributor in my collection of treasures. {What my wife calls my junk collection}. Before I order my ignition parts, would I be better to keep the Holley or go all IH, all the time?
It's a 392 4v 1210 Camper Special, with a standard transmission.
They are both points ignition, which is my favorite, but is one better than the other, or are they much the same.

Last edited by cutter; 02-07-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2007

Re: IH or Holley distributor?

Holly was a stock part. And it depends on the system you want to run???

If you want to run Points or upgrade to electronics???????

just my ...02 cents worth
Old 01-26-2007
the only peice that won't rust on my ih

Are you sure that the other dist. isn't a prestolite? If you want to stay with points, might as well just keep the holley in b/c it was there from the factory and that way you don't have to do extra work out in the cold changing dist. and screwing up the timing and freezing your butt off trying to get it right again.
inconclusion, I'd just stick with what's in it unless you're going to go to electronic ignition.
later,
robert
Lots of red tractors
Old 01-29-2007

Not a fan of the Holly, just buy a Edelbrock 1404 if you have a 345 or a 1406 if you have a 392. Dont buy any of the acessories except rods and jets for your altitude and call it done. If you have an auto a few hand bends get the kickdown working right.

78ScoutII 345, 36s 4.56 gears
72 Travelall 1210, 35s, TF727 AT 392
68 Scout 345/T19W/D20 on 38s
66 800 152 T18 stock resto
62 80 SOA trail rig on 33s
74 Terra D60s, SOA +4" on 39s, hyrdo crawler
63 C120 4x4 daily driver Chevy axle conversion
74 Scout II SOA Trail rig

Current Builds:
53 Bel Aire 350/TF400 hotrod (in progress!)
75 ScoutII trail/family rig
Old 01-29-2007
Beware the Monkey!

Send a message via AIM to SCscoutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVScouter
Not a fan of the Holly, just buy a Edelbrock 1404 if you have a 345 or a 1406 if you have a 392. Dont buy any of the acessories except rods and jets for your altitude and call it done. If you have an auto a few hand bends get the kickdown working right.
How does this have anything to do with his questions about distributors?

We need to know what distributors you have. IH never made their own distributor for the IH SV engines. Take a look at my thread I made over at the Binder Bulletin HERE and tell us for sure which distributors you have. After that we can tell you which would be better to run.
Old 01-30-2007
the only peice that won't rust on my ih

Look, I'm telling you that he has a prestolite b/c they have ih stamped on the dist. tag. And he wants to keep it points, the holley that he is currently running is points, why change to a different dist. if all he wants to do is keep using points? Now if the gold box died for the holley and he had a prestolite, that'd be different, but it isn't the situation here so I say stick with what's already in there unless your current dist is shot.
later,
robert
Lots of red tractors
Old 02-02-2007

Quote:
How does this have anything to do with his questions about distributors?
Easy...I wasnt paying attention again.

78ScoutII 345, 36s 4.56 gears
72 Travelall 1210, 35s, TF727 AT 392
68 Scout 345/T19W/D20 on 38s
66 800 152 T18 stock resto
62 80 SOA trail rig on 33s
74 Terra D60s, SOA +4" on 39s, hyrdo crawler
63 C120 4x4 daily driver Chevy axle conversion
74 Scout II SOA Trail rig

Current Builds:
53 Bel Aire 350/TF400 hotrod (in progress!)
75 ScoutII trail/family rig
Old 05-04-2009

After reading this, I'm a bit confused. I have a76 with the Gold box and my distributor has IH stamped ion it. I thought that if yo had the Gold Box that meant you were running the Holly set up, untill recently when I took the dizzy to auto zone and he said the nuuber was a Pretiolite number.

What is going on here. I need to rebuild the dist and need to figure would what parts I'm looking for and than what Pertronix I need to order.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-05-2009
Beware the Monkey!

Send a message via AIM to SCscoutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaanmp View Post
After reading this, I'm a bit confused. I have a76 with the Gold box and my distributor has IH stamped ion it. I thought that if yo had the Gold Box that meant you were running the Holly set up, untill recently when I took the dizzy to auto zone and he said the nuuber was a Pretiolite number.

What is going on here. I need to rebuild the dist and need to figure would what parts I'm looking for and than what Pertronix I need to order.

Thanks for the help.
Does your distributor actually have a gold box on the firewall that is connected to it? Until we get the wiki back up you can take a look at this old thread on the BP to ID your distributor.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...al+distributor
Old 05-05-2009

Thanks for that link that clears all my questions up. No I just need to see if they make the newer Pertronix II or III for my GB dizzy.
Old 05-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaanmp View Post
Thanks for that link that clears all my questions up. No I just need to see if they make the newer Pertronix II or III for my GB dizzy.
Last I checked they only offered the Pertronix I, which has no advantage over the Gold Box, so if your GB is working switching to the Pertronix has no advantage. If your Gold Box is dead it can be replaced for less than the Pertronix I if you shop around.

Now if your are looking for an upgrade, something that will fire a coil with a higher potential output and/or longer spark duration or the GB is dead then there is a much cheaper option. Not a direct bolt in but it will fire a better coil and won't fry if the key is left in the on position w/o the engine running like the GB or Pertronix I.

Here is how to mount the pickup.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=67537
Since you have the GB distributor you just need to raise the existing reluctor per "Dennis' E-Bay" distributor.

How to wire it up is here.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48435

The "now how about something easier" is the current preferred option.

The things to watch out for are #1 to get the center metal piece in the Chrysler pickup located in the same place as where the small dot is on the Gold Box's pickup. That keeps makes sure that the rotor will be in the same place when the spark occurs. #2 proper polarity of the pickup wires to the GM module. To verify set the timing mark to where you want to run the timing, say 5btdc and line up the tooth of the reluctor with the metal pole piece in the pickup. Tighten the dist start the engine and check the timing with the light it should be the same, if it is off by ~20 degrees you need to swap the wires.

All in all depending on where you shop it is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a Pertronix and the parts are available anywhere should something fail, no waiting for parts like with a Pertronix or GB.