I Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need help

I am new to this forum and I'm not a very good mechanic. I have 2 Scout IIs, a '73 with a 345 AT and an '80 with a 345 3 speed manual. My problem on the '73 is: When I drive it for a little while it will cut out and die and then I can't get it started again until it cools down ( like overnight). Like I said I am not a good mechanic and I can't figure out what the problem is. Somebody told me it might be the vaccum advance but I have no idea of how to fix it.
    If anyone knows what the problem might be or have any suggestions they are willing to share with another IHC lover please respond.
    Thank you,
    Bryan:confused:

I would first check the coil. see if it is hot to the touch when it quits. I have had this problem many times and that is usually it.
    Al

Comment

Thanks Al, I'll try that when I have time to run it. If it is hot what do I do? Buy a new coil? How much are they and where do I find them? Thanks again Al.
      Bryan.

Comment

A hot coil is a sign of it being bad, but on an IHC, it is sometimes hard to tell a hot coil from one that is heat soaked by the engine.

Another way to check the coil is to remove it and shake it. If you hear liquid sloshing around inside, the oil hasn't leaked out, which is good. IHC's are notorious for leaking the oil out of the coil, the lack of the oil causes the coil to overheat, and lose efficiency. This lower efficiency causes a weak spark which can lead to a stall, or poor running.

The description of your problem is classic for a coil that has leaked out the oil.

Binderin',

John
        : beer : Diamond power! : beer :
        If you have never used a search button.... DON'T POST!

Comment

Thanks John and Al,
          It is nice to know that I can come on here and get such knowledgible advice from real people such as yourselves who are not trying to squeeze more money out of dummies like me.
          Thanks alot and I'll let you know how the info you offered turns out.

Comment

I had the coil go out on my '79 Scout II. If I remember correctly, I experienced some backfiring and the loss of power. The day it went out, I was 40 miles from home. I got ahold of my Dad and he came with his Blazer and pushed me home. He had a tow bar on the front of his rig which he hooked up to my hitch. Atleast at a quick glance it looked like I was towing him. Good luck, signed Jon's wife, Caryn
            70 1300 4x4 Travelette,"Clifford",'75 200 1ton 4x4 w/service bed , '74 ScoutII,36x14.50 swampers ,AKA:Rusty ,SOA,RS,D44/D608hole/narrowed,divorced NP202,6 point cage to frame,'"79 SII(Wifes)SOA,304 , 4sp., 37" ProComps, 8000lb. Warn .73'1210 4x4Travelall,392,4sp.,barndoors , 8" lift in progress(She wants 38's). '64 1300 1 ton Travelette 4x4 "Tatonka".
            (2)1980 Scouts with consecutive serial numbers..

Comment

I had a failing gold box that made my truck do that. Combined with the hot start problem i was scratching my head for quite some time. Check the gold box and get a starter solenoid mounted somewhere other than against the exhaust manifold.

Comment

you might be looking in the wrong place...

I used to have the same problem when I was carburated (THANK YOU TBI!!!) My problem was actually 2 problems: Vapor Lock and Carb Boilover. You might wanna check your fuel bowl levels to make sure it isnt too high, because when that thing gets hotit'll spill right in. Not only that, but you might want to invest in a spacer for the carb. Theyre really cheap and make a difference. Or you could do what I did and make a heat shield out of sheet metal.

Comment

Well, I took the ciol off and shook it. I hear liquid sloshing so it is probably not the coil. How do I make sure my carburator it all set right? And how do I check my vaccume advance to see if all is well in that dept.
                  Thanks guys,
                  Bryan.

Comment

I agree with SKuri too on the carburetor and fuel. Not sure you could have vapor lock problems in December anywhere though?

When you have this problem open you fuel filler cap and see if there is a suction.

I have to ad that I had this scenario once myself and went through all the things we are talking about here. What it finally was is the last tank of gas I got was full of rust chips. As I drove the sock in the tank would accumulate enough that no fuel could get through. Let it sit and the rust chips would fall to the bottom. Over and over? Found it by driving then dieing then disconnecting the fuel line and cranking the engine over, no fuel coming out...
                    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Bryan, Being new to this forum myself, I have learned a few tricks that will help you find the help you are seeking.

List your vehicles information: engine size (i found mine on the block near the fuel pump{if you are looking at the engine from the front grill it will be on the left closest corner of the motor, approx. 1.5 inches above the top edge of the oil pan.}) If you are running a holley carb, the part number is on the front near the right top corner. The distributor and coil both have model #'s on them. Inside under the points or stamped into the metal section of the distributor and on the bottom end of the coil.

The Guys and Gals of this forum are sharp and knowledgable, but do like to get the right information out. So the more information you can post in regard to the components you have on your vehicle the better for all.

Local Parts stores or salvage yards that have cross-application software are the best for parts information. Napa I have read sometimes doesn't have the right parts listed. Good Luck
                      Travelaller aka Prof. Titanium Cranium

Comment

Thanks everybody,
                        I think I solved the problem, I changed the vaccume advance and it is running about 100 times better. My brother in law is somewhat of a mechanic and he and I did quite a bit of work on the old girl yesterday. We took the automatic lockers off and replaced them with manual ones because the right side was making a cluncking sound in 2whl drive. We replaced the front drive line because the u joint was vibrateing and wore out. And I replaced the broken lift gate handle. All of the parts we used were off of my '80 Scout which is in pretty bad shape and I figured that I could make one really good Scout out of two not so good ones. The next thing I want to do is look into which transfer case is better and switch them if I have to. Then I want to rebuild the 3 spd transmission in the '80 and put it in the '73 which has an automatic tranny.
                        Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Well if that is a 1980 Scout it may have the Dana 300 which is a lower geared low range which would be nice. But if you are really set on a manual transmission you should go to the trouble and get a four speed while you doing it. Won't set you back that much and selling the left over parts my help.

Also does the 1973 Scout have a Dana 44 front end? I think 73 came with Dana 30 and Dan 44. The 1980 should have a Dana 44 front differential. Check the gear ratio as well. The 1980 also had two degrees castor which is a bonus.

Here's a link to Dana 300 transfer case ID.
                          http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/18.htm#7
                          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Don't throw away the automatic hubs.
                            If you don't want them , send the parts to me. I still run them on the street scout.
                            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Mark,
                              The '73 has a Dana 44 front end. The axles are off of a 76 Traveller. Can you tell me why a 4 spd would be better than the 3 spd that I have?
                              Bill,
                              Sorry, I am going to keep the lockers for back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X