firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firing order

I need to know where the firing order starts on the distributor cap on a 304 I have a 1980

I looked in my manual and can't find where it starts on the cap but it does say the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 and it is right hand rotation.

If you bring the number one cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke, where the distributor is pointing is where number one should be.

Remember that when setting timing to use the number 8 cylinder. Nobody ever told me why IH used 8 instead of 1 though.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Re: firing order

Eagle mark, I have a 304 in my 1980 scout and 345 in my 1977 Scout, while troubling shooting a problem, I decide to swap distributor between engines. What I found is that they are not the same, and I had to index the wires counter clockwise two terminals when going from the 304 to 345. Go figure. : coco : The 304 #8 T.D.C rotor points to the radiator. The 345 # 8 T.D.C. rotor points to the drivers fender. : bonk : Maybe somebody can set me straight here, where does your rotor point when #8 is T.D.C

Comment

It all depends on where you stab the dist when installing it, where # 8 points, ie; bring #8 to TDC compression stroke, put the dist in & turn the rotor to any position you like & where the rotor is pointing when fully installed > that is #8. When the teeth mesh (dist to cam gear), that will turn the rotor 1-2 terminals more because the dist gear is spiral helical cut, BTW.

# 8 could be 12 o'clock, 1:30, 3, 4:30, 6, 7:30, 9 or 10:30 (w/12 straight at the rad), it doesn't matter as long as you follow the firing order/rotation from there.

HTH,

: beer :
        SSV

GBA!

Comment

I guess i need to spin the oil pump a bit then:)

Comment

Originally posted by R290
            I guess i need to spin the oil pump a bit then:)
            Yes you prolly will & ya got me there for not mentioning it. : doh : : kewl :

Long flat-bladed screwdriver will do the trick. : thumbsup

: peace :
            SSV

GBA!

Comment

Working...
            X