How Many Quarts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Quarts?

I just picked up a Scout 2 with a 304. Did an oil change today but my new manual won't be here for another week. How many quarts of oil does a 304 take. I have my doubts about the dipstick reading. May not be the right one. At 5 quarts it barely registers.

Thanks,

SandRacer

Usually 6 quarts of oil in an IH V8. I run alot of highway miles, so I run 7 quarts just to make sure there is no starvation.

HTH,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I certainly does help. Wasn't sure of any risk in over filling it but sure don't want too little either. Just got rid of the points in favor of a Pertronix Ignitor and bolted on a new carb. Gonna take it out for its first off-road trial today.

Thanks again.

Comment

When IH designed their trucks and motors they had the "dumb" farmer in mind (Not saying farmers are dumb but usualy had little resources) anyway they built their motors to WORK all day and to be easy to work on (for the in field repairs) so it would be logical that IH wanted to use more oil for not only lube but as a coolant of some degree (however slight that might be). if you look close enough you'll see a lot of stuff IH did to help the farmer. the motor is set away from the firewall for easier access to the clutch slave cylinder and such. Better Go I've said too much.
        Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

Comment

I've read many articles on the IH motor starving for oil at highway speeds. Noticed by lifter noise. I and many others have been running seven quarts (one quart high on the dipstick) for years
          in the Scout II.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Yellowdog Maybe they made the extra capasity on the oil pan because, they were afraid city people would forget to check the oil because Internationals run so good. Yea six quarts and seven don't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Justfarmit
              Yellowdog Maybe they made the extra capasity on the oil pan because, they were afraid city people would forget to check the oil because Internationals run so good. Yea six quarts and seven don't hurt.
              Could be. I do know the three biggest lies are:
              1. the check's in the mail
              2. I will always love you
              3. and this is the biggy: "I know all there is to know about IH's"
              Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

Comment

Working...
              X