4-speed vs auto tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-speed vs auto tranny

i have a 1974 scout II with a 345 v-8 and a 4 speed tranny. i am thinking about having putting an auto in it but wanted to get some advice from the pros first. this is my daily driver and not looking to turn this into a serious off-roader but would like to hit some trails every once in a while. would love to hear all of your opinions.

thanks
    joe

Big BAG-O-WORMS

You will never get 2 people to agree on this one joe...
    My opinion....
    I love automatics with a good shift kit in it. You never have to worry about using the clutch on the hills or rocks.

If you have a stick now, then take it off road and try it in different situations to see how you like it.

Then maybe drive a buddys scout w/auto from the scout club you belong to and see how you like it.

Then go from there.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Less filling! Tastes great!

I am an automatic kinda guy too Joe.
      If ya got it keep it and find something else to spend time and money on.
      Service a shift kit and a cooler is about all you need to do. They seem to break less drive-line parts too!
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

tranny

Well just to give you a little info from the other side, I have changed all of my scouts to sticks. I like the durability of the manual trans and the abilitly to push start the scout if problems occure. Tire size and gear ratios will play a big part in your decision. If you don't match the gear ratio to the tire size your running you will burn up lots of tranny's. Heat is not a friend to auto's. On the other hand as the others have said, if you don't want to use the clutch and do some shifting the auto is the way to go.
        Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

thanks for the input guys. don't mind the shifting. my main reason for wanting to put the auto in is because i will be doing a lot of highway driving in it and thought it would be easier. know anyone in spokane that does good clutch work? i keep grinding when i go into 1st and rev and it is hard to get into 2nd. also, what time are your meetings at sharis?

thanks again
          joe

Comment

Club meetings are the second Friday of every month at Shari's Restaurant at 320 N. Sullivan Rd. Spokane, Washington we start getting there at 6:PM, BS, have dinner, have meeting, BS and usually empty out by 9:PM

Before you go putting a clutch in there remember it's winter and gear oil is thick. It may just be that or an adjustment. A synthetic gear oil may fix that too. Make sure it is rated for transmissions! Some synthetic gear oil has harmful additives needed in the differentials.
            [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

another question i have mark is i am running regular tires on it now and will be putting 33s on it once it get to that point. i want to do the distr. conversion and efi then body work then interior and tires and wheels last. if i put the auto in will i have to do something to it later once i put the 33s on?

thanks for the info mark. my trouoble with my clutch started when i had the engine swapped and they had to move the tranny up a couple of inches. do you think i am looking at bigger problems than just cluth?

Comment

also, i tried to adjust the clutch when the problem first started but i adjusted it as far as i could and still nothing. also, when putting it in 2nd it seems to go in a little easier when i give it a little gas.

any ideas would be helpful.

Comment

I also favor Autos. IMO with an Offroad Valve body and a 12" TC with a reversed shift pattern it can't be beat.

Plus I have a two feet not 3

Comment

Your should have a T-18 in your scout which means a non synchro first gear. I would expect some grinding if not stopped when shifting into first gear. I would suspect that the rest of you problem is linkage related, since they moved your tranny forward and that's when the problem started. What you need to do is lengthen the linkage rod that goes through the floor by cutting it and welding a piece in the middle. That should give you the length to adjust the clutch. The yoke that hooks to the frame is not adjustable and any movement of the engine and tranny will cause length problems.
                    Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

thanks for the tip todd. will probably try it this weekend if i get time.

Comment

Unless you can drive an 18 wheeler. Or you know how to double clutch.

Double clutch:

Shifting down

1. Press Clutch in pull out of gear.

2. let clutch out rev motor to high RMP

(To get an idea drive that speed in 1st gear look at a tach. You will need to rev a little more.

3. Smoothly push clutch in and slide into gear at the same time while giving some gas (or it will jerk)

Takes some practice but it's kind of fun,

Hope I got that right. (Sitting at desk pretending to shift LOL)

Comment

thanks n2. that is how i have to drive it now. i have decided on going with the auto. should have enough money by val. day to get it done. wife said it would be my val. day present!!!!

lucky me!!!!!!!!

thanks for all of your advice and opinions guys i really do appreciate it.

joe

Comment

WOW! What a woman!

Joe make sure you talk to Jon at the meeting on Valentines day.
                            He has everything you need.

Comment

if i can make it i will. if not can you have him e-mail me? [email protected].

i have someone that can do it for me for about $700. tranny, kickdown, and installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X