high angle front drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high angle front drive shaft

I have a 4" lift on my scout II and i need to run a driveshaft with a double carden, does anyone know of a good place that can help me in obtaining one. thanks dave:confused:
    66 scout 800, sigpic74 4x4, 76 traveler, 70 scout v800, the stock keeps changing!!

Driveshaft Makers!

I would take it by double carden, in my lingo that means a shaft with a C-V Joint setup in it! They're are normally at least one or two of them advertised in the back of Off-Road, Four Wheeler, etc. Here's one that was in the back of an old Off Road that I had right here handy. It's a couple of years old though but, I think it should still work - maybe.

Gloeco, Inc.
    2417 W. Lincoln St.
    Pheonix, AZ. 85009
    (800)845-6326

Here's Another One:

M.I.T.
    Mechanically Inclined Technicians
    1112 Pioneer Way
    El Cajon, CA. 92020
    (619)579-7727

Hope this helps! Unless I'm a total dumby and didn't understand right to begin with!:) Hey - I see your a fellow Hoosier too!
    Last edited by inotestine; 01-23-2003, 06:00 PM.
    Ike. "They call me Hoss."
    Scout Nut!!!!!!!
    '68 Scout 800, '86 F-250 6.9 4x4, '94 Chevy 6.5L T/D 4x4 E/C, '87 Chevy 3/4T 4x4 "Show Truck", '85 Chevy 1T 4x4
    "IH - To drive anything else would be uncivilized!."

Comment

driveshaft

I was told you could take one from a 73-83 ch*vy, with a double carden and have it shortened. I have 26 1/2 inces from flang to flang. Just a thought
      66 scout 800, sigpic74 4x4, 76 traveler, 70 scout v800, the stock keeps changing!!

Comment

Tom Wood's custom Driveshafts out of Odgen, Utah made a rear driveshaft for me. He was less expensive than buying it locally including shipping. Why do you need one for a 4" lift. I have a springover 3/4T chevy axle setup and I run an adapted scout rear d/s that has been cut down to the right length on the front, with no problems. I only run 4x on the trail.

HTH,

Jeff
        Last edited by Jeff Eggemeyer; 01-23-2003, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Re: Driveshaft!

I would think that it could be done that way. I'm not exactly positive but, I wouldn't know why not. Although I'm not familiar with the yoke setup on the transfer case. if it's the same design/type as the cheby hookup! I have a '68 800 and I just happen to have that vintage of a shaft laying around here and that's what I was considering trying to do in my situaton. I want to put a 4" lift on my 800 but, they tell me my draglink might be a problem - as far as clearance. And that a 4" lift for my little binder - just springs goes for $400.00! They say the 4" on an 800 is a real kidney puncher too!
          Scout Nut!!!!!!!
          '68 Scout 800, '86 F-250 6.9 4x4, '94 Chevy 6.5L T/D 4x4 E/C, '87 Chevy 3/4T 4x4 "Show Truck", '85 Chevy 1T 4x4

Comment

There is a guy in our club that has an 800 with a springover. He used regular scout II springs and the D44s, which required changing the spring hangars, etc. Just an idea. I have ridden in his and didn't notice the roughness compared to a regular 800, non-lifted version.

Jeff

Comment

SOA!

The SOA isn't a bad idea but, I don't think that I really want to tackle all that much work! My 800 is already half done. I just bought it about a month ago and the PO had already done the rear end. It kind of reminds me of a midnite wrencher job done with blinders on! I'm not too sure that the job is at all good and it appears as though he started the front end and nothing worked in the dark so he put it back together. I don't think I'm up to cutting off the knuckles and trying to get all of that stuff right. I'm not looking to put 35's on it or anything like that. I just want some 31 x 10.50's or so on it. I'm going to use it for tooling around some and trying to plow some snow too! Don't think that big of rubber would do me any favors in the snow - besides that the plow hookup would be 3' in the air. My wife of 5'2" couldn't get in it, let alone want to drive it with them on there either! :)
              I was hoping to find a 4" lift that wouldn't be too much trouble to install and not give me too many problems with the steering that I could enjoy.
              Gotta Go - Just got paged to an explosion for the VFD - Be back on later!
              Last edited by inotestine; 01-23-2003, 06:43 PM.
              Scout Nut!!!!!!!

Comment

lift

If your not looking for much lift and want to drive it on the street than why not just stick to a body lift. I would think the 31's would fit fine and you maintain the stock ride. they can be 1", 2", or 3" and with new body and suspension bushing should give another 1".
                just a thought.
                Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

A thought!

Well, I'm back - No Explosion though! Some lady thought she heard an explosion and then she thought she could see an orange glow in the distance. Don't know what she heard but, what she thought she saw was a flag flying in one of those mercury vapor (orange glow) night /security lights in the distance in falling snow.
                  The body lift wouldn't be a bad idea I guess but, I've got one on one of my other trucks and really wasn't impressed with it much. It sqeaks and it was more work than I thought it was worth at the time. I'd like to have about 4" inches of lift. Was told a SOA
                  was about 6". I was thinking 4" would be just about the right amount. MR. Scout out in OR. has a 2.5" complete with shocks for $655 but, I wasn't really wanting to spend quite that much. Maybe a 2.5" plus, what we used to call a "traction lift" if there still around would work alright too. I don't even know if they're available anymore? At least the traction lift wouldn't sag!
                  Scout Nut!!!!!!!

Comment

Front drive shaft ?

Every since i installed a Skyjacker 4" lift, i also have a 3" body lift with 35" tires. When i hit a dip in the road especially at around 60-65 mph i get a grind sound from the transfercase. Also when i decelerate lightly i get a grind sound from the case. This is at any speed. I have changed the transfercase 3 time, rebuilt the transmission, front axle w/traclock unit 4:10, and rebuilt the rear with detroit-locker. I can not seam the find the problem. From looking at the front shaft lookes like it it at an uncomfortable angel, also i have about 3 degrees positive on the front axle to improve tracking, drives really nice. Is it possible the front shaft is putting the output yoke on the trancase in a bind, or accelerated wear on the bearing the yoke goes into. btw its a dana 20 and 727 trans. problem seems worse when the front hubs are engaged. Thanks dave

Its in the blood forever..........

Comment

u joints

When I did my SOA, I raised the frame and let the suspension droop. I could not install the front driveshaft at certain places in the rotation do to binding. The most was at the TC yoke. Had to pull out the die grinder and bits and make a little room for the u joints to rotate smooth. Had to do a little on the dif end also. I don't run a CV joint on the front since I really don't drive on the hi way in 4WD.

HTH
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Ok bill, I never made any clearance on either end, maybe thats why when i hit a droop in the road the suspen. is dropping and that is causing the noise, but i wonder why when i go about 35-40 mph and just let off the gas, when its in 4-wheel and it make a grind nothing long just a 1 sec noise.

74 Scout II ugly green, 399 v8,650 holley,727,dana20,detroit locker 4:10, and terrible.very terrible mpg!!!!
                        Last edited by dave; 01-24-2003, 05:49 PM.

Comment

twist

Do you have soft springs? Could the weight transfer of the scout be causing the springs to twist a little and therefore cause the u joints to bind? With out being there it's hard to tell. If they are binding at all I would think there would be a shiny spot on the metal somewhere. Pull the front shaft...inspect both ends and the yokes on the TC and Diff...jack it up by the frame so the front hangs then put the shaft up in place and rotate it. Look for anything that might be too close. How bout the spring bushings? loose?
                          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                          Learn to do it right.

Comment

drive shaft

Yes bill, I have the skyjacker softride springs, i beleive they have the teflon in them. All the busings are new, poly also. Rancho 5000 shocks and a steer-strait as well installed.

Comment

3*

How did you get your 3*. If it is shims then the large end would be in the back causing the pinion to rotate down away from the TC and putting even more angle on the joints. If you cut and turned the yokes on the axle then you should be fine.
                              If it is shims ...have you tried to remove them to rotate the pinion back to stock? I just assuming with 35's that you don't drive it everyday on the street. You could probably get away with removing the shims if that's what you have.
                              That's assuming I not backwards on my caster!!!!!!
                              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X