Best way to get the most heat out of a scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get the most heat out of a scout

I have the same heater core 1974 vintage, Is it worth changing it out for a new one for more heat, it dosent leak, but i live in Indiana and it gets kinda cold at 7:00 am every morning going to work, Is there any other tricks.
    66 scout 800, sigpic74 4x4, 76 traveler, 70 scout v800, the stock keeps changing!!

Here is what I did and I delivers more heat than my 2003 F150. i use the stock core BTW

Project Heat Wave.

Part 2 will be installing the correct Switch because this is a varied motor a SII motor is a 2 speed. This works but the motor is on high all the time.

The SII motor is grounded with a wire. the Bronco is grounded thru the motor.

I love this mod I have heat that is nice a cozy in -10 deg F. (hasn't gontten colder yet)

OH! I also change thermo's in the winter to a 195 Deg F and to a 180 Deg F in the summer. An easy job.

Last edited by n2ihc; 01-26-2003, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Best way to get the most heat out of a scout

Originally posted by dave
      I have the same heater core 1974 vintage, Is it worth changing it out for a new one for more heat, it dosent leak, but i live in Indiana and it gets kinda cold at 7:00 am every morning going to work, Is there any other tricks.
      You may flush out the heater core just to check.

Also, in '74 they had two different cores.. a 3-row and a 4-row. After 75, they're all 3-row.

I yanked out my leaking 3-row from my '77 and swapped in a 4-row (and the whole heater "box" assembly) from a '72 and heat went up.

That core has now failed, and it's getting recored at the moment.. 4-row..

With the 4-row, a 195 RS 'stat and my soft-top that leaks like crazy.. once the rig is warmed up, my boots will smoke and my toes are uncomfortable.

If you want "quick" heat in the morning, install an engine coolant heater and plug it in over night.. the heater will work the moment you turn the key.

That said, I might have to look at this Bronco cage conversion..

Can I use my stock SII blower motor with the Bronco squirrel cage?

Comment

The cage is not from a bronco. It's just a part i matched up for my idea from Autozone. The motor is from a 80,s bronco. I belive I asked for a 85 bronco motor. Just took a guess and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by n2ihc
          The cage is not from a bronco. It's just a part i matched up for my idea from Autozone. The motor is from a 80,s bronco. I belive I asked for a 85 bronco motor. Just took a guess and it worked.
          OK.. and here I was just harassing a buddy that races a Bronco about his left-over parts (heaters add weight, y'know).

Will the Scout motor work with the cage you bought?

If so, I may just buy the $16 cage and carve on my heater box while I'm working on it.. since I'm R&Ring the heater core anyhow.

I don't NEED more heat.. but why not?

Not ready to tear into reducting things though.. except maybe to duct-tape over the hole that likes to make my right foot toes smoke..

Comment

Yes it wil work with the OEM motor.

Comment

heat for the scout

N2IH, thanks for the tips, I have ordered a new 4 core radiator and installed a 195 thermo tonight and bought the fan and motor, i will be installing it tomorrow, after i make an adapter plate at work. I hope it works, the fan was 13.99 and the motor was 22.97 at autozn. I used a motor for a 81 bronco, i will post the part number for it tomorrow so others can use it. dave
              66 scout 800, sigpic74 4x4, 76 traveler, 70 scout v800, the stock keeps changing!!

Comment

Originally posted by n2ihc
                Yes it wil work with the OEM motor.
                Cool, thanks.

Now the next obvious question.. what's the advantage to the Ford motor, other than NOT being $50 like the new stock Scout motor I want to re-use..?

Comment

Stronger faster

Comment

part numbers for heater

Here is the part numbers for the conversion, i got the parts from autozone. As followes

Blower motor is: PM350-Siemens about 23.00$

Fan: 35601-Factory Air about 13.99

just give them the part number

Dave...
                    thanks in regards to N2ih

Comment

thanks for the info dave and n2ihc. going to autozone in the a.m. to pick up motor and fan. just one question. how did you do the modification to the backing plate? i can't tell from the pics and can't find any info in the directions.

thanks again
                      joe

Comment

backing plate

Joe, all i did was take the original plate and used a protractor to make a circle about 1" bigger than the plate, then cut it out and then cut the inside of it out so the original backing plate fits into it, i just laid it down and used the wire welder to fasten, but you can also use screws, just pay attention not to get the screws to far or youll hit the fan, also i used a cereal box cardboard to make a template first, just to get the right fit. It works really good, n2ihc had a good ideal going there!!

Comment

its working

I would say i have at least twice the amount of air flow than the stock motor had, were cooking now!!

Comment

Cool!

Yea that protractor idea rules can I use that on the mod page? all I did was use a spare A/C bracket and cut out the center. Kinda hooky so I was going to find a better way to do it b4 i added that part.

Now if you get a switch like a Scout A/C type S/w then it will be multi speed. that is going to be part II one of these days. ;)

Steve T

Comment

Oh yea and def 2x speed. Windows def right up! and Ahhhh so nice. I wanted the max air flow cause I am modding the vent also so it will have 2 dash vents. Mama like to stay warm.

(I wish she would hold a pan of muffins or something. So we'd have something to eat when we get where we are going!) ::Snicker::

Comment

Working...
                              X