Help! New scout has some problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! New scout has some problems

Finally found a scout, and it is about what i was looking for. I get to pick it up on next monday. The main problem is that gas tank leaks when its full, any suggestions? Also has a flat tire and has been sitting on the tire for 3 months, is this tire dead? any risk of a blow out? It was somebodys mud truck, so there is mud everywhere, suggestions on cleaning the engine? do i need to change the diff/transmission fluids? The mud was deep enough to get inside the cab. The smog pump is gone, does this need to be replaced to pass emissions tests? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Don't know what year your Scout is but if it's a Scout II they have several lines for fuel, vapor, vent and even more on California and 79-80 emissions vehicles. Check them all out. You'll have to use a lot of water to get all the mud off first. I use water on my motor to when it gets muddy. Careful with the carburetor and distributor.

The tire will probably be OK. Use your judgment when you fill it with air, see if it has any separation of tread, does it feel smooth when driving etc...

YES on the fluid changes on a new vehicle. Fluid is cheap. Even more so if there is that much mud. Both differentials, transmission, transfer case, power steering and the motor.

Don't know about emissions?
    Good luck, let us know how the story unfolds?
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

If it had a smog pump, does that mean its one of the emissions vehicles and has all the rest of the mess that goes with it? or was that standard in 79?

Comment

Well you still haven't told us what kind of vehicle you have but by your last post I will guess it is a 1979.
        Yes 1979 all had air pumps, catalytic converters,EGR and other stuff. It really isn't bad stuff just more of it. Emissions tests depends on your state.
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Sorry! Its a 79 Scout II w/ hard top, faded army green w/mud. 32 inch tires, dual exhaust, 345, automatic transmission, fairly solid body, and a drivers side door that doesnt close like it should. Any ideas on that? Passenger door closes flush.

Comment

Could be a lot of things with the door. There are a load of adjustments.
            Does the Scout have a lot of rust?
            Especially around the body mount under the drivers side carpet? When you lose that mount do to rust the body will sag and create door problems. Hope yours is something different.

Comment

No, the body had a little rust, but it has been fixed. By fixed I mean new quarter panels, and new metal welded in other places. The frame appears to have little rust as well. The door almost closes at the latch, and bows out near the bottom. Its almost like the door is warped. I am thinking I may need a new door. Anyone in North Carolina know if a scout will pass emissions without the smog pump? Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X