1976 196 4 cyl problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 196 4 cyl problems

I have a 196 with a standard transmission that cranks up fine and will idle all day without any problems, but when you run it up and hold the RPM's it lasts about 30 seconds or so then backfires a little then wants to die. Just had the carb rebuilt. Put new plugs and rotor button on. Timing? Float sticking? The backfiring is out the exhaust and sometimes the carb. Any help would be appreciated. Jim A.

From what your telling us it seems to be running out of fuel.
    Enough to idle but when using more you have your problem.
    The reason I say this is the backfire carburator and exhaust. That is a result of running lean.
    Few things to look at:
    1. Fuel filter. Cheap enough just replace it but when you do look inside to see if it is dirty.
    2. When it happens again run to the fuel cap and take it off. Does it have a vacuum. I believe all Scouts prior to emissions have vented caps and if it's from CA. or 79 newer you have lots of vents and charcoal canister.
    3. Fuel pump pressure.
    4. Visual inspection of fuel lines to see if anything is bent, broken, kinked etc...
    Hope that helps!
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
    X