IH dizzy identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IH dizzy identification

I have an IH points type dizzy that I need to identify to see if it is a canidate (I HOPE)for points/dura spark conversion. The flat in the side has of the dizzy body has the following info.

IH symbol
    patent pending
    code 0864
    379282c91

Hope this is the one I need as I have completed the dura spark parts install, but my vac advance is going to retard the timing I think. I have read in the service manual about the model 1510 have two different rotations and vac advance cans.I know you need the 6cylinder dura pickup coil/base plate, but to hook up the vac advance that was on it I will have to flip it over and that will reverse the rotation (vac retard) of the pickup coil when vac is applied. Help this thing is about to drive me crazy. May just be I am looking at it to hard. What could the difference be. Did they move the vac advance and on the others? Any info or remarks about my intelligence is accepted. At a loss!!
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

I drilled a hole in the duraspark plate, near the 6 cylinder hole,(the duraspark plate I have has a 6 and an 8 stamped in it, on opposite sides) then got a self tapping sheet metal screw, made sure the IH vac advance will rotate freely on this screw. (I did use the 8 cylinder pick up)

Mine is almost ready, I just have to finish the wiring. I just haven't found enough time the past couple days.

Is your Scout a 6 cylinder? Where are you on your project? (As I too am in the middle of it)

possum scout

Comment

That is the correct distributor for this converstion.

http://www.justinternationals.org/ford-hei.htm

If you are not using it for Fuel Injection then leave the vacuum and mechanical advance in tact.
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Where is the 6cyl pickup coming from?

I never used a 6 cyl pickup so I'm not sure where it came from.
        unless that was in the old Jim Weed article on the prestolite conversion!!!

Binderman where did you read this at?

with all the talk about backwards adv and having to use screws for the vacuum adv it has me concerned because my original vacuum canister hooked right back up to the pin on the new DS advance plate.
        Anyone taking any pics???
        We can add more to the conversion article if needed.
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

????

Well, maybe it's different depending on what vehicle you get your ford parts from? I hope? I hope I didn't screw up or something?

I got my parts from an '81 Thunderbird, with an 8 cyl. I am not sure, as I was poking around so many vehicles, but I think the donor car had a carburetor. I know my thinking at the time was that since I was still going to use my carb, I'd get the parts from a vehicle with a carb.

Maybe there is a difference between the plate on one from a fuel injection and one with a carb?

I am grasping at straws here! Anyway, then I went to the parts store and bought a new "box" for an 81 Thunderbird.

I just tried to hook the vac. advance back up the way it was on the Travelall I got the dist. from, I still have my dist. in my Scout, just in case! I haven't hooked the new one up, maybe it spins different than I think it does???

:confused: possum scout
          Last edited by possum scout; 02-21-2003, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Re: ????

Originally posted by possum scout
            Well, maybe it's different depending on what vehicle you get your ford parts from? I hope? I hope I didn't screw up or something?

I got my parts from an '81 Thunderbird, with an 8 cyl. I am not sure, as I was poking around so many vehicles, but I think the donor car had a carburetor. I know my thinking at the time was that since I was still going to use my carb, I'd get the parts from a vehicle with a carb.

Maybe there is a difference between the plate on one from a fuel injection and one with a carb?

I am grasping at straws here! Anyway, then I went to the parts store and bought a new "box" for an 81 Thunderbird.

I just tried to hook the vac. advance back up the way it was on the Travelall I got the dist. from, I still have my dist. in my Scout, just in case! I haven't hooked the new one up, maybe it spins different than I think it does???

:confused: possum scout
            You did right getting it from a carb motor. The FI dist is different on the ford.

when you look at the top of the dist is the can on the right or left?

I think the dist plate I got had a pin on both sides so it would work either way.

I just want to be able to post as much info as possible. If you are running into trouble then someone else might!!
            we don't want that.

My last dist came from a van.

are you using the whole base plate assy with the advance plate on it.
            should be a round plate with a collar in the middle and the advance plate is held onto the collar with a thin wire snap ring.
            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Umm, I am pretty sure the can is on the left. I'll check for sure when it's day-light.

(currently I live off grid, battery packs, wind generator, and a gas generator, don't have out side lights.)

Yes, I used the whole plate assembly, just the way it came out. The only thing I did to it was drilling that hole.

possum scout

Comment

off grid

Umm, I am pretty sure the can is on the left. I'll check for sure when it's day-light.

(currently I live off grid, battery packs, wind generator, and a gas generator, don't have out side lights.)

Yes, I used the whole plate assembly, just the way it came out. The only thing I did to it was drilling that hole.

possum scout
                Now let me understand this......
                You work on your own scout, you live in the middle of nowhere(4 wheelin country), and you use windmills and generators and batteries so you can afford gas to drive a scout............
                and I'm married!!!!!

;)
                keep asking questions!!
                Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

;)

yeah, the other half finds me just a bit unusual too!

But I actually am hoping to move to Missouri. A little closer to relatives, and TREES.

The other half can't quite understand my relationship with my "silly Scout"!

When things are going good, I invite him to ride in the Scout, when things are, um, not so good, I work on my Scout. If there doesn't seem to be anything to do to it, I paint it

possum scout
                  Last edited by possum scout; 02-21-2003, 11:07 PM.

Comment

paint

;)

yeah, the other half finds me just a bit unusual too!

But I actually am hoping to move to Missouri. A little closer to relatives, and TREES.

The other half and I are actually on our 3rd or 4th try at making this thing work. Not exactly married anymore, but not exactly "not" either.

When things are going good, I invite him to ride in the Scout, when things are, um, not so good, I work on my Scout. If there doesn't seem to be anything to do to it, I paint it

possum scout
                    No big 60's flowers on the scout. maybe a band-aid.
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Well, no!

Actually a couple times I went a bit "nutzo" and did a camo job on it though!

Pretty darn good too, except it was kind of hard to find, and a dirtbiker almost ran into it!

possum scout

Comment

Well, no!

Actually a couple times I went a bit "nutzo" and did a camo job on it though!

Pretty darn good too, except it was kind of hard to find, and a dirtbiker almost ran into it!

possum scout
                        sweet!!!
                        don't get too many coats of paint on it. their already too heavy.
                        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                        X