How to get 16" wheels for my Scout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 16" wheels for my Scout?

I am trying to get 16" wheels for my Scout. The other half got 16's for his dodge(8 lug), and he got them for $37. But when I went to buy the same type for my Scout (dodge 5 on 5.5), he said $50! I felt he was "working" me, so I just walked out, politely.

Anyone know what 16" wheel from which vehicles will fit the Scout? (dana 44 front and rear)? and am I right, it's 5 on 5 1/2?

possum scout

wheels

your right it's 5 on 5.5
    I just picked up some of the stock ram 1500 10 hole 16 X 7.5 inch rims for 15 a piece at a yard but the center hole is way too small and took a lot(days) of grinding. I would think if you could find the 4wd rims maybe the 5 spoke chrome ones. the center hole might fit.
    I know the later ford went to metric and are said to be about a 1/8 off.
    All the other ford 1/2 ton trucks were 5 on 5.5 till they went to metric. if you can find some after market 16's.

Also watch the offset. the back spacing is reall deep on these and I had to grind on the unused end of the pitman arm.

good luck.
    Let us know what you find.
    steal the ones off the other halfs dodge!!!!!
    elves!!
    Last edited by Bill usn-1; 02-22-2003, 01:47 PM.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

possum scout
      I ran into a situation somewhat like yours. Someone who had my pickup before me put a 3/4 ton rear under it. That means I have eight hole and 33s 16.5x12.5 ,which fill the wheel well and looks good. But the tires are real exspensive. So I have quite a few 15s the same 33 15x12 and thought I could just go buy a rim with 8 holes. NOT The tire man could have saved me a lot on aggravation if he would have just told me, if it was put on a stock vehicle you can get it here. Otherwise it is special order, and they could get them for about $50 a piece. Might as well go with a mag by then. I don't remember ever seeing a 5 hole in 16, they were always put on 1/2 tons. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure someone has seen what you are looking for. Because If I say they ain't made they usually are.
      Dan

Comment

Don't know why you want 16 inch wheels but they came stock on Scout 800's I am told by Jon who has them on his Scout II. Only because he got a free set of 16 inch snow tires from me. Usually the 16.5 was for bigger brakes associated with 3/4 ton running gear. 16 replaced that size and now the tire shops consider 16.5 to be a split rim only and a 16 to be non split, but we know that not to be true.
        The 15 inch rim with the same size tire like 33X12.50-15 would be a better choice for off road do to bigger side wall for low pressure. The 33X12.50-16 or 16.5 has less of a sidewall and will come off easier under low pressure (yes I have done it).
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

why 16's? I'll tell ya...

I wanted the 16's, higher load range. Availability of used tires, etc. Stiffening up my highway ride. I was going to keep my Stock rims for 4 wheeling. Just change my sets over for the different uses.

possum scout

Comment

Working...
          X