disc brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc brake conversion

I am in the process of putting disc brakes on an 800 with an s2 axle. The hard lines on the 800 are smaller than the s2 hoses for the discs, the connection I mean. Is there a known line application that will fit this such as a CJ5 with discs or do I have to fab up some connectors? This is not what I want to do and I am sure someone else has done this conversion.

Al

I have seen one done and they just ran a new line from the master cylinder down to the front axle in the middle with one flex line. Then had a hard line to each wheel. It worked great when flexing suspension. The reason I say that is the stock master cylinder will not be able to handle the new calipers on disc brakes and I have never seen discs without power assist.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

[The reason I say that is the stock master cylinder will not be able to handle the new calipers on disc brakes and I have never seen discs without power assist. [/B][/QUOTE]

In 1967 I bought a Plymouth Barracuta, 383 V-8, 4 Speed, with Disc brakes...no power booster (no room for it). Higher peddle pressure than power brakes, but great feel and good stopping.

Now that I think about it, non-power disc brakes might be just the ticket off-road........

Mickey

Comment

That may be the option to have a proper master cylinder for disc's?
        Eric just did rear disc brakes and the stock Scout II would not handle them.

http://www.justinternationals.org/erickincel.htm

Whatever does happen we are talking about brakes, talk a lot to the counter man and even some e-mails to the manufacture.
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I like the idea of running a line to the front and then going to the wheels with a hard line, however how do you hook up the hard line to the calipers? Discs have a block and bolt thing not a line into a wheel cylinder. I think from past experience that if I remove the residual pressure valve the stock M/C will be fine. There are many OE systems with non power discs so I don't think that is a problem. Thanks for the input it is a possibiity.

Al

Comment

Working...
          X