tilt column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt column

how hard is it to swap a non titl steering column with a tilt steering column?

thanks

joe

Re: tilt column

Originally posted by joe
    how hard is it to swap a non titl steering column with a tilt steering column?

thanks

joe
    If your doing a scout to a scout it's just a bolt in operation.
    Just make sure the wheel is cntered before you start and when your done.
    Theres about 4 or 6 bolts, I'm not looking at it right now! The bolt on the coupler/ujoint/rag joint, depending on where you seperate it at, and the wiring plugs on the top side of the column as you lay under it on the floor by the pedals.

If you do an after market or another make ...then all bets are off.
    But I'm sure one of them will fit.
    Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will tell you that an AMC Pacer or gremlin or maybe a J**P will bolt right in!!!!!
    Or something like that.

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

thanks bill.
      i do beleive it is from another scout a 78 i think. i might as well work on mine until i leave or sell it!!

Comment

anyone care to chime in on the usefulness of a tilt column...? i know what the difference is suppose to be, but i'd like to hear if anyone thought it was worth it. comfort isn't an issue at the moment and unless handling is much better, which i don't see how it could be...i may just pass.

Comment

Totally for comfort and preference. If yours is good as she sits - no reason to do it.
          - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
          62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
          My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

Comment

depends how tall or heavy you are

Comment

Originally posted by Jensers View Post
              Totally for comfort and preference. If yours is good as she sits - no reason to do it.
              what i thought, thanks bro.

Comment

I don't' care for them! The tilt column in my Scout is a POS! it's coming out for a straight column, My Jeep has one in it, I moved it once to see it move and haven't moved it since in the last 12 years!, the GF's new POS FJ-40 has on in it, it's coming out for the OE column!, I don't even remember if my Olds has one in it???, if it does I never move it.
                My personal opinion of a tilt column is they are just more crap to break!
                ASE mastercertified engine machinist (gas & diesel)
                Brake & Alignment tech (ricer to class 8)
                AMC's rule more than IH's

Comment

How are those statements even relevant?

If the column is installed and it is never moved then it is exactly like a fixed column.

And if it's not moved, then what extra parts are going to break?

But even so, you will get another column and tear yours out just because it's a tilt unit and you don't personally like them.
                  That really makes perfect sense and great use of time.

I'll be looking for them in the for sale forum cause my 800 could use a tilt column.

I like mine because I actually drive my scout. Sometimes thousands of miles at a time.
                  I like to adjust the wheel to different positions of comfort as I drive.
                  It also helps to give a clear line of sight for the gauges when people of different hieghts drive the scout.
                  Yes my wife and kids drive my scout.
                  Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                  HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                  May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                  Learn to do it right.

Comment

Don't use the steering wheel to climb into your rig and the tilt column will last just fine!

Comment

The column in the Scout IS trashed, from the PO so it's against the dash or in your lap, the one in the Toyota is against the rollcage or in your lap, just went out and looked at the Olds, it does have one and is flopping around from the PO dragging themselves in and out of the car, never found any reason to move one and as CS pointed out people use them to winch themselves up into the trucks, I've fixed probably 20 of them at work and only two non tilt columns and they were both column shift manuals.

I guess that since I've seen and repaired so many and with the associated cost of the replacement parts that I personally wouldn't take the time or effort to replace a functioning straight column with one.

Joe, as Bill stated, it should bolt right in.
                      ASE mastercertified engine machinist (gas & diesel)
                      Brake & Alignment tech (ricer to class 8)
                      AMC's rule more than IH's

Comment

it will bolt in but, we put a 79 or 80 tilt in our 74 and the main connector is slightly different , i shaved some plastic, or it would not have gone together, we havent tryed it yet either ,hope this helps
                        my name is scott,,,,,,,,, and im a scout-a-holic

Comment

Working...
                        X