Should I prep for removing top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I prep for removing top?

I just bought a 78 Scout II XLC, and I plan to remove the top, permanently. I'll just park it in the garage and take it out if the weather and wife allow.

Is there anything I should know about before I take the top off? I.e., will the doors shut properly still? It does have a little rust in the floor pan (not toooo bad), including some under driver's side floor mat. Is the top all that's keeping my new baby from collapsing?

Thanks. It's nice to finally join the group.

You shouldn't have any problems with flex with the roof off. I've had mine off from mid spring to late fall for the past few years with no problems. One thing you should do prior to driving it without the roof is install at least a showbar if not a cage. Failure to do so may produce some very unpleasant repercussions in the event of a rollover.

Comment

Benjamin,

Yes, you should prep for the removal of your top. By all means check out all of your 8 body mounts prior to removal of the top. Ensure that they are sound and not rusted out. If they are, your door will not close properly and the body will eventually collapse in the middle. I bought a 79 that the body had done this, couldn't shift it out of first gear because the body was preventing the linkage from working properly. The body is strong enough to support occupants inside, if it is solid, without the roof on it. I run mine from Easter to the second week of September with out the top on it.

Definately look into at least a factory roll bar, if not a full cage. Keep your family safe at all times.

HTH,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Jeff. What if the body mounts are not completely solid? Should I weld some square tubing to the underside of the body to strengthen it in order to prevent it from collapsing?

Comment

Just welding a square tube on the bottom will not really support it. You need to replace the mounts that are rusted, do it right the first time. Definately easier. Check out Scott's website for a little bit of how-to.

HTH,

Jeff

Scott's web site

Comment

Working...
          X