Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"valucraft" brake shoes...should I use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "valucraft" brake shoes...should I use them?

went to buy brake shoes for the rear of my Scout, and the parts guy sold me these, they are glued on.

They are "Valucraft" brake shoes from autozone.

Are they any good, or should I take them back and get different ones?

possum scout
    Last edited by possum scout; 03-13-2003, 06:35 PM.

I prefer the bonded shoes over the rivet. If I wear thru at least it hits flat metal and not the rivets!
    We have all seen that.
    As for brand, if they work then they are good ones.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

As for the air in the lines problem... something I ran into a couple weeks ago was a guy who changed the MC and could not get the brakes to bleed properly. After almost a whole bottle of fluid I asked if the drum brakes were adjusted before he started.
      He gave the deer in the headlights look.
      So after adjusting the brakes they bled perfect and worked fine.
      Moral of the story... if the drums are way out of adjustment you can use all the fluid in the MC piston and still not apply the brakes. So your pedal will never get hard.
      HTH
      Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
      HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
      May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill usn-1
        Moral of the story... if the drums are way out of adjustment you can use all the fluid in the MC piston and still not apply the brakes. So your pedal will never get hard.
        HTH
        The rear has been serviced, new adjuster lever installed. Other half says brakes are STILL not right!

Well we went over everything again, the two front bleeders will squirt almost to the rear tires with 1 pump, the rear passenger squirts all the way to the diffy, the rear drivers side has a 10mm bleeder and that sucker requires opening a lot more than the other side to get it to make it halfway to the diffy!

I don't know. He says the pedal pushes too easily, that there is zero resistance. But all the brakes appear to be working. He just doesn't like the way the pedal feels. He says it is "too soft"??!!
        It does stop much better, but I am told my pedal is STILL too soft?
        He doesn't cause whiplash anymore, but he says that is only because he works hard at it, and that if he wasn't it would grab too hard?

IS a "soft pedal" unsafe?

The spouse is an experienced driver, he says through work he has driven hundreds of different vehicles and he doesn't like the "feel" of my Scouts pedal! He says it "feels unsafe".

I on the other hand have been pretty true to my scout for over a decade, so I don't feel there is anything wrong, but I could just be used to it?! oh, and it has only had the new power assist unit for a fairly short time, and the other half hadn't driven it until a week ago. The last time he drove it I didn't have a power assist.

Sorry to be bothering all of you, but as we are too remote, we don't have anyone else we can ask. We can't fetch a neighbor to try them and give an opinion.

possum scout
        Last edited by possum scout; 03-13-2003, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X