SOA or SOL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA or SOL?

How can you tell if an SOA has been done properly.

I just bought a Scout from a guy who did it himself, and though he seemed pretty competent, it clunks a little from time to time when cornering. I suspect the front axle may not have been twisted, as that driveshaft's angle looks really sharp. Any way to know for sure?

Ben.

well i dont know about the drive shaft but i do know that on some corners my scout clunks to been told its the sping bushings in the frame but i dont know for shure.....have you had a chance to take it off road.....if so did you get axel wrap in the back i'm going to do a soa and am kinda trying to find out what to expect....thanks...mort

Comment

Benjamin and Mort,

It is easy to tell if you need new spring bushings. Look at the spring eyes and the bolts that hold it all together. If the bolts are in the middle of the spring eyes, all is ok. If not, meaning the bolts are closer to the bottom of the spring eye, then you need new bushings. At this time, I would also install new shackles, because the holes through them are more than likely oblong.

HTH,

Jeff

Comment

The guy that did the SOA on my '78 replaced the bushings, beefed up and extended the shackles, and lifted the body an inch. I only plan to put 33's on it, so I am wondering if it is advantageous for me to try to reduce the height a little.

Are there any benefits to lowering it slightly? Will that reduce the front axle angle and possibly prevent additional wear?

Thanks.

Ben.

Comment

Working...
        X