Accelleration hesitation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelleration hesitation.

Anyone know why my 345 (2-barrel Holly) with the 727 auto likes to hesitate for a second when I depress the gas pedal before the Scout begins to accellerate?

Sounds like engine may go to temporary lean condition.With engine off and air cleaner removed look down inside carb while a friend depresses the gas pedal.(Don't do this to many times or engine will gett flooded with gas and will be hard to start.)You should see a small stream of gas in carb air intake area.If you don't the accellerrator pump system in the carb may not be working and you will need to rebuild carb.
    Other items to check would be plug gap and spark quality at the spark plugs,spark timing,make sure fuel is fresh ,add some fuel system cleaner to the gas.

Later

Comment

rebuild carb its the accelerator pump

Comment

Where can I get a kit to rebuild the carb?

Comment

napa or an autopart store

Comment

rebuilt mine not to long ago took an hour and cost 20$ plus an air filter make sure u have some carb cleaner ......check your vacume lines that could help you out by eather changing them or do what i did and bypass them all and just cut them short an plug um all up ;)
            www.rogue4x4.com

Comment

How would I bypass all the vacuum lines and plug 'em all up? And what repercussions would that have?

Comment

well.......most of those lines are for cold starts sends warmer air to the carb for quicker warm ups and stuff but mine were ALL cracked and dry rotted so most of my lines i cut the ends clean and one i plugged with a bolt the others i just plugged them to each other (its hard to explane)

say you have one line going to a little sensor on the fire wall and then you have another line going from that little sensor (or what ever it is) back to the carb that means you have 4 connections for 2 lines right i took the first line and by-passed the little do hicky thing and pluged it into were the 2nd line goes into the carb that way i have 2 connections.........cut it by half ...... i had around 10 hoses i pulled OFF so each hose has two ends that's 20 connections i eleminated making things simpler and all those little leaks i might have had! were plugged.

NOTE: IF YOUR VACUME LINES ARE OK AND THE CARB KIT FIXES THE PROBLEM I WOULD NOT REMOVE THEM THAT'S JUST WHAT I DID AND I GAINED EASIER STARTING AND BETTER IDLE FOR DOING IT
                www.rogue4x4.com

Comment

Before you go re-building your carb what Holley do you have?
                  There are some helpful hints to ID your carb here:
                  http://www.carbs.net/CarbID/HolleyID.htm

I agree with shutterfly on the vacuum hoses.
                  They mostly are to help run better cold and if your rig is a driver they work good when operational...
                  I replaced my vacuum lines one at a time and they were in worse shape than they looked. That was a huge improvement as to how my truck ran.
                  Replaced the pre-heater hose from exhaust manifold to air cleaner as well, made small adjustments to the choke and high idle only first thing in the morning.
                  Run really good now but still a little sluggish. Then rebuild the carb to freshen things up.

For the holley 2210 you can get a rebuild kit from NAPA but no power valve which I found NOS cost of both was $62 plus new bushing on the throttle shaft $40 and I still had a 2210..

The 2245 is supposed to be a better two barrel but I have never had one.

The 2300 design will bolt on but looks like the traditional Holley design and runs excellent out of the box (rebuilt) but some have said does not produce as good a fuel mileage as the 2245.

Hope that helps!
                  [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                  [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Well, gentlemen, I certainly appreciate the advice. When I bought the scout, it came with a spare carb, so I guess I'll ID both carbs, and rebuild the one with the better reputation.

As for the vacuum hoses... I'm not quite sure I know what you mean, shutterfly, about reducing the number of connections in half, but I'll scrutinize the whole set up when I get a chance. But if the whole point of them is for cold starts, then I don't suppose I'll need them around at all, since I'm moving it from Washington to Hawaii in a couple of months. Not too many cold starts in the old girl's future....

Comment

sure thang

well its kinda hard to explane easier done than typed but i took about 10 hoses of mine that would have been hooked up so each hose has two ends so thats 20 connections minus 3-4 or so that stayed there and well the less conections the less the chance that there will be leaks! but even if you leave them on take them off one by one and eather replace them or check for holes and cuts an dry rot! vacume leaks=HP & TQ loss not to mention hard starts bad idle loss of mpg wich is very important these daze

that will be one rusty scout in hawaii!!!!! lol jk

my best friend moved to kauai spelling sorry 2 years ago from here were i live are you moving to stay or a summer place or what?
                      www.rogue4x4.com

Comment

A semi-permanent move, but one never knows how that will go. We'll see. But I am the most excited about owning a Scout in Hawaii, as the last time I was there all I could think was that a Scout would be the perfect Hawaiian ride. You are right about me having to keep an eye on the rust, though....

Comment

Working...
                        X