Anyone have full cage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have full cage??

My Scout has the factory roll bar in it. I dont trust it to protect me in a rollover and was wondering if any of you guys had the smittybuilt front cage or the d and c full cage and if you had any pics of them. Does the smittybuilt front cage fit the contour of the windshield and door pretty well. Think the factory bar with the front cage would hold up to a rollover if i attached them to the frame?? Thanks

I have seen pictures of roll overs where the windows did not break or roof collapse on a Scout II without a roll bar.
    I have also seen pictures of a Traveler roll over three times with just the factory roll bar inside the fiberglass roof and the passengers were fine. Roof was destroyed.
    So I think the Scout II with a factory roll bar is pretty safe.
    Rusty floors could be a weakness.
    All depends on what you do to need a full cage.
    Maybe some others will share their views.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I think I saw the same clip as Mark where a Scout II was flipped off a moving skid. That thing nearly rotated upside down in the air before landing on the roof and rolling the rest of the way over onto its wheels and it still remained intact for the most part. There is a picture in one of the offroad magazines that shows a Scout II that rolled on a hill and it seems to have pulled through in a condition that would have left occupants in good shape. Adding a cage to the existing rollbar would increase the safety factor as well as stiffen the rig but I think a wiser investment, depending on how you use it, is a good set of seat belts. A three point belt is a big plus and, if you can swing it, a 5-point is the best. The best cage made won't help you if your sliding out of the lap belt. Like Mark said keep an eye out for rust because if the body is severely rusted the cage won't help and if you have a cage made that covers the front of the cab spend a little more and make some grab handles for inside. I've seen a few injuries where as the vehicle tipped and the occupant grabbed the rollbar around the outside. Rough on fingers!

Comment

Re: Anyone have full cage??

Originally posted by Benjitis
        My Scout has the factory roll bar in it. I dont trust it to protect me in a rollover and was wondering if any of you guys had the smittybuilt front cage or the d and c full cage and if you had any pics of them. Does the smittybuilt front cage fit the contour of the windshield and door pretty well. Think the factory bar with the front cage would hold up to a rollover if i attached them to the frame?? Thanks

This was a factory rollbar installed in 1976...

60+mph, full roll.. David walked away, and ran track the next weekend.

Factory bar mounted to the floor isn't as inferior as the rollcage salespeople might want you to think.

That said, I have two Smitty SC88 front 'cage kits.. and now really don't plan on using any of 'em, since I bought a bender (assuming I eventually buy tube for the bender..).

I did test fit 'em a few times.. but it's been so long ago I remember little of it.

Comment

Well, if the factory bar holds up in a highspeed roll, than i think i will just buy the front hoop instead of getting the full cage from d and c. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, Tom Mandera, does the Smittybuilt front hoop have a bend in it where the windshield agles down to the floor??

Comment

Glad you got the information you wanted but maybe you should check with D and C they do have a better design in their front cage so switches and glove box are still useful.
            Here is a link to their Scout II cage page.

http://www.dandcextreme.com/product.asp?pkID=48

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
            [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Benjitis

Oh yeah, Tom Mandera, does the Smittybuilt front hoop have a bend in it where the windshield agles down to the floor??
              I know I took pictures once upon a time.. ;)

The SC88 kit has two side "L" bars, and one top/cross bar.

The "L" bars have two bends.

They come 90-deg off the main rollbar hoop, then bend to follow the windshield, then bend again to aim for the floor.

Pat Decker (Hooper) used the SC88 kit on his SSII and has posted pictures on the BB before.

-Tom

Comment

Cool. I'll search for Hoopers pics. The switches and glove box wont matter with the cage. I have a custom aluminum dash and dont even have a glove box. My headlight switch is mounted closer to the steering wheel then the factory position.

I cant find those pics of hoopers cage anywhere on here
                Last edited by Benjitis; 03-27-2003, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X