Reversing an SOA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing an SOA?

The guy I bought my Scout from did an SOA, but there are some funky things going on with the steering and front drive shaft, so I think I am going to put the springs back under the axle until I have the money to do a proper SOA (luckily the guy left the old spring perches on the bottom of the axle). Can anyone tell me if I'm not thinking it all through? This is what I believe I'll need to do:

-Remove driveshafts (I have two shorter ones for replacement already)

-Jack up frame, remove shocks (I need to change them anyway. Any suggestions for what new shocks to get?)

-Remove springs, move them to bottom of axle

-Install shims (I heard that Scouts behave better (especially when you have extended shackles like mine) when you put shims between the leaf springs and the axle. Is that correct? If so, then what degree of shims should I look into installing, and where should I get them?)

-Put a spacer between the passenger axles and the leaves (what is that for anyway)?

-Replace homemade dropped draglink with a stock one.

Anything I'm not thinking of?
    Sorry this is so long. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ben.

More or less I am going to ask a question with this input to your question. Was the knuckles turned while the soa was done? If so what will that effect when you put it back sua? Will shims even be needed? Hate to bring up more questions for you to answer when you are here looking for answers. Wish ya luck!!!
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

And if the knuckles weren't turned that me be all that's needed to drive good?

Is the pinion pointing toward the transfer case or level with ground?

What I'm getting at is it may be cheaper to just fix (finish) what the previous owner did not...
      You will need a CV joint front drive-line.
      You will have to grind a little on the automatic transmission for it to clear, manuals are OK.
      You need a proper drag-link. Not home made quality. To avoid offending anyone that has the ability to properly weld at home, you are exempt from my comment. This is a job for the top guns!
      If you check our sponsors we have at least three that fabricate and sell them.

Then you fixed a couple problems and have a spring over..
      You have to look at shocks also, if I remember the stock bottom out?

Hope that helps!
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

The whole grind on the tranny thing kinda scares me. Has anyone not come up with a better solution than that? Seen a website/pics of a tranny grind job and it looked like a good place for a crack/leak to start as he had ground a LOT off of the tranny. May change my mind on the SOA with auto thing when I build me up a mudder/crawler/beater! Sure like an auto though!!!! Will look for website and post pic when I find it, it's bad!!!! Benjamin I wish ya luck!!!
        My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
        LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

I did a SOA on my trail scout and never ground on the tranny at all. In fact, I still run the stock front drive shaft. I don't drive on the highway in 4wd so I do not worry about a little vibration. How much can you have at less than 10 mph?

I did make my own new perches out of 2 in box. they are 6 inches long to prevent spring wrap and I drilled 3 sets of locating holes. center, 1 in fwd, and 1 in back.
          I run mine 1 inch back to center the 35's in the wheel well and it also moves the driveshaft back in towards the TC. eliminates the need for a new shaft!!!
          I run a 1 1/2 body lift(3 in cut in half) and stock shackles in the front.

SOA

Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

That pic looks familiar. Wife did a pretty good job with the camera that afternoon.

Bill Are you happy with your auto in the trail rig? I know you went through it. I was strictly a standard tranny man until in tech school when I failed my first auto tranny class and decided I needed to learn a little about them. When i started the class all those parts scared me I guess. Once you figure out the basics, they are pretty much alike. Do you know of a t/c that will bolt up to a 504 allison?
            My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have anything to remind me what I broke those parts on!!!! :eek: :o

Make sure you take her all the time.

I'll be honest...since my days of working on boats for a living and pulling them up the ramps, it only took one burned clutch and needing three feet to work the pedals correctly, to prove to me the auto is the way to go.
              you also get torque multiplication with the converter.
              I guess with 4.88's and a 4:1 TC you would have a slow enough crawl ratio so you could just put it in gear and just crawl without needing to use the clutch much.

to each his own, but I luv autos!!!

Never had an allison. I'm sure there is one out there.
              whats it in? travel-all?
              would it be easier to swap in an 727?
              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

If I am correct in thinking that the pinion is the piece connected to the back of the pumpkin, then no, it is not pointed at the TC. The guy who did the SOA claimed that in order to maintain correct geometry with steering, handling, etc, the new spring perches should be mounted EXACTLY parallel to the old ones on the bottom of the axle, thereby keeping the diff in the exact same position. This puts a really steep angle on the front driveshaft.

I don't believe that the trans has been ground on at all.

How can I tell if the knuckles have been turned or not?

Comment

I would assume that if the perchers were put back parallel to the stock ones then the knuckles were not turned either.
                  So your back to your first question. Do you reverse the SOA or finish it right.
                  What are you planning to do with the scout.
                  I see a lot of guys running the 4 in springs in the front and the SOA in the back just to make it easier to lift.
                  Scouts have bad caster to begin with so if you really want to fix the steering than I would say have the knuckles cut and turned.
                  And if you do then have the SOA perches re welded in the right position to point the pinion yoke at the TC.

Then you have lift and good steering.
                  The labor will cost you but it will limit the need for more parts.

New lift springs will cost you but labor will be cheaper and you still have scout steering and high angles on the driveshaft.

My .02
                  Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                  Learn to do it right.

Comment

Binderman,
                    Don't worry about the grinding. Mine has been fine for a year know. You are only taking off the lip on the pan and a very small amount of aluminum from the transmission. Just enough to clear the larger CV joint.
                    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                    X