fuel tank leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank leak

i have a bad gas leak that appears to be coming from the top of the tank. is anyone familiar with this? is it a common prob? what do i need to do to fix it? thanks...matt

Depends on where it is coming from.
    Could just be a hose cracked or it could be the cork gasket on the sender. You will need to drop the tank to replace the cork gasket on the sender, unless you have an access plate on the bed floor.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

There's so many places up there that the only way your going to find out is to pull the tank.
      Some things to look for are :
      1. O ring around the sending unit.
      2. fuel line from the sending unit.
      3. Vapor lines on the drivers side to the vapor recovery tank. I'm not sure what years have these but my 77 and the wifes 79 both have them.
      4. Also take a look under the straps.
      5. When you do get it out look inside the tank for a lot of rust. I had mine fixed twice before I gave up and got a good tank.
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Your right mark.
        It is an o-ring on the scout.
        Just did a 302 HO in an early bronco and he had a gasket.
        DOH
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Be careful when re-placing that o-ring with one of the same thickness. Standard o-rings are not thick enough (don't ask).
          I just got one from Super Scout and it is a square ring not a round ring.

If I remember correctly the 33 gallon tank has a gasket instead of an o-ring so you you were still right Bill.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X