steering problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering problems

I have 7 1/2" of lift,even before I added the lift the scout like to sway alot. I added sway-away bar, 2 steering stabalizers, camber, caster are set perfect. I have new axle's,bearings etc.(Dana 44). Changed gear box and everything up front at least twice.I have 5 scouts in the family from bone stock to lifted,all seem to have the same problems.Any ideas would be appreciated. E-mail please at [email protected] . Thanx a million!

James,
    7 1/2 inch lift: 5" with SOA and 2" body lift? To get the caster right you would have had to have the front axel cut and 'twisted', I assume you have done that. The biggest improvement that I have seen has been by installing a 'straight steering brace'...a peice of plate that ties the steering box mounting load to both frame rails. If you have 2* to 4* negative caster, and a steering brace, you should be able to cruise I5 with one finger on the wheel......watch for the cross winds.
    Mickey

Comment

Mickey thanx for the info,I'ts a spring under.3 1/2" springs, 2" shackle,2" body lift.I have 33" swamps on it with alot of clearance.I did not cut and twist axle I used U-jointed front driveshaft to keep angle right.I dropped tranny and t-case down just a bit to keep angle reasonable.So your saying my gear box is moving or my frame is flexing or both. And that plate would prevent this? Also, I had alot of body roll with leaf over. reply [email protected] Thanx.

Comment

James,
        All Scout II's, except for 1980, came stock with 0* caster, in other words the kingpin axis was verticle. For stability, almost all vehicles come with 2* to 5* of negative caster (this has the top of the kingpin behind the center of the spindle) to enhance straight tracking. To achieve the necessary negative caster, you have to break the welds on the axel tubes and have a jib to hold everything correctly to re-weld. Most 4 X 4 shops do this operation regularlly.

I am currently using a 1980 Scout front end. These came with 2* negative caster and my Traveler with 4" SUA and a 'straight steer' tracks very well. Get your front end 'twisted' and add a 'straight steer', the Scout will handle very well with 33" or 35" tires.
        Mickey

Comment

James,
          One more thing, dump the 2" extended shackles. The shackle extensions on the front introduce alot of instability and don't provide much effective lift. Stock shackles, and a little front lip trimming, and your 33's will clear fine.
          Mickey

Comment

Thanx Mickey for the info. I'm going to check it out and get back at ya!

Comment

Originally posted by littledog1
              If you have 2* to 4* negative caster, and a steering brace, you should be able to cruise I5 with one finger on the wheel
              Mickey
              I think you meant to say POSITIVE caster. With that much negative caster it would be a nightmare to steer. Very unstable.

JP
              Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
              --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
              76 Scout II, 345, TF727
              65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
              48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

JP,

Your correct , NEGATIVE CASTER, ie. the top of the kingpin behind the bottom of the kingpin, when looking forward from the drivers seat.

I have seen several Scouts with 5*+ negative caster looking for stability at the cost of turning response. I don't think you want to go over 4*, my stock '80 with 2* tracks pretty well.

Mickey

Comment

Working...
                X