Front Leaf Spring Reversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Leaf Spring Reversal

Got a few questions! First off I just registered in the forum and its nice to see so many with my same interest. I am currently restoring my '79 Scout II. I am in the process of reversing the leaf springs on both axles. I have come across a problem with the front axle/right spring. The differential housing is covering the axle where the spring perch should set. Is there a special mount that will fit over this housing, or does anyone have an idea or know how to beat this problem? My next question is about the steering rods. In order to reverse the springs, the front right once again, the rod is in the way. Would it be a smart idea to alter the shape of the rod, or has anyone seen whether or not the spring sets in between the rods well? Obviously I have just begun to work on this and would like any recommendations.

What you're trying to do is called a Spring Over Axle (SOA) conversion. It is very common. There is no special mount or adapter for what you are doing. You will need to have a machine shop machine a new spring perch at the right side of the differential housing.

There is a wealth of info available at the Binder Bulletin if you will go there and do a search for SOA. Here is a link to exactly what you are talking about in their FAQ section.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/16.htm#3

This is not as easy a project as it may at first appear because there are so many variables involved. Doing it right is a lot of work and pretty expensive unless you have all the skills and equipment to do everything yourself.

Good luck and happy reading.

JP
    Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
    --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
    76 Scout II, 345, TF727
    65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
    48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

SOA

Here are a couple of pics how I did mine. I ground it round then used 2 in box 6 in long for the new perch. Made them longer than stock to reduce spring wrap on accelleration.
      There are a couple more pics at
      SOA

Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
      HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
      May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'm actually in the process of building a mount over the differential. So thanks to the advice of both of you, I will grind the differential housing down a bit and then build up the opposite side to make them even. The guy that I am working with is actually a mechanic for a major motor company, so we have all the necessary connections. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions.

Jared

Comment

Instead of building up the low side.
          Just make the radius in the spring perch on that side about 1/2 inch shallower. or make the high side 1/2 deeper. Either way I would not recommend adding something to it to build it up to match the high side.

My .02
          Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

You are going to cut & turn the knuckles while you are it, so that it will maintain proper caster and drive decently while keeping u-joints in the driveline, right? If you aren't planning on it already, I would strongly encourage it, as you won't be happy with the results until you do it...

Ronnie
            Lil Red Bus
            1967 800

Comment

Working...
            X