Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interchangable parts 266-304

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • interchangable parts 266-304

    I have a 266 304 and 345 I know by looking at the binder bullitin what I can swap between the 304 and 345 but I was wondering if I can swap the crank and the heads between the 304 and 266 or just one of those I bought a scout that needs a motor and if those parts will interchange i can make a motor out of the 2 I have and be on the road, well off road also lol.

  • #2
    Re: interchangable parts 266-304

    Originally posted by Mike Leis
    I have a 266 304 and 345 I know by looking at the binder bullitin what I can swap between the 304 and 345 but I was wondering if I can swap the crank and the heads between the 304 and 266 or just one of those I bought a scout that needs a motor and if those parts will interchange i can make a motor out of the 2 I have and be on the road, well off road also lol.
    You can swap the crank and rods between the 266/304, though you should have things balanced while you're in there - the 304 uses a larger piston which has a different weight.

    The heads would swap, but why? 266 valves are not available (or real hard to find), along with 266 pistons. I don't think either offers a compression improvement.

    In any case, the 266/304 share rod length and crank stroke.

    Comment


    • #3
      re 266-304

      I just need the heads because both my 304 heads are cracked on 2 cylinders. I just wanted to know if the crank would work so I know if I have a spare. I like to keep parts that are useful but what is not I don't need just sitting around collecting dust so I scrap them out. I should probably just sell the 266 to a die hard 266 fan but I doubt there are many of those guys out there. If parts were avaliable i would keep it to use at a later date. It is in great shape but if it is going in something of mine it i going to be rebuilt so i know what I have and waht to expect. Thanks for the info.

      Comment


      • #4
        The way I understand it they bored a 266 to make the 304 stroked the 304 to make the 345 and bored the 345 to make the 392. So it seems to me the cranks from 266/304 interchange as do the heads
        Carl in Idaho

        Smile this is as good as it gets

        Comment


        • #5
          thats not true yellowdog .............the 345 has a longer stroke but i belive that made the engine wider? becuase of the deck height the block is wider not real sure the 392 i believe has a longer stroke than all of them? the 345 cannot be bored that muck it will puncture the water jacket its been tryed

          http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/7.htm


          BB faq has a good write up on that same thing go there
          Last edited by shutterfly; 05-22-2003, 08:54 AM.
          www.rogue4x4.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shutterfly
            thats not true yellowdog .............the 345 has a longer stroke but i belive that made the engine wider? becuase of the deck height the block is wider not real sure the 392 i believe has a longer stroke than all of them? the 345 cannot be bored that muck it will puncture the water jacket its been tryed

            http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/7.htm


            BB faq has a good write up on that same thing go there
            On a simplistic level, yellowdog is right.

            The 304/266 share the same stroke, but the 304 has a larger bore.

            345/304 share the same bore, but a longer stroke - because of the extra stroke, they used longer rods and a taller/wider block (basically, they took the 304 block and just continued it up )

            The 392 and 345 share the same physically sized block, same stroke, but the 392 has a larger bore.

            So, starting with the 266, they punched it over for a 304, stroked it to a 345, and punched it again to a 392.

            BUT.. these blocks are not the same. They're all very similar (same "family") but each one is also very different.

            You can't build your own 392 by punching a 345 out. The factory used a different casting for each one.

            Problem with 266 heads on a 304 is the smaller valves will impede breathing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tom Mandera

              So, starting with the 266, they punched it over for a 304, stroked it to a 345, and punched it again to a 392.

              BUT.. these blocks are not the same. They're all very similar (same "family") but each one is also very different.

              You can't build your own 392 by punching a 345 out. The factory used a different casting for each one.
              So there all different?? What about interchangability?? Can one pull a 266 and drop in a 392 or any combination in between??
              Carl in Idaho

              Smile this is as good as it gets

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yellowdog
                So there all different?? What about interchangability?? Can one pull a 266 and drop in a 392 or any combination in between??
                Externally, they're all pretty much the same.

                Pull a 266, drop in a 392, no problem.

                Only a couple minor things.

                Your 266 belts will be too short for the 392 accessories.

                The block is a bit wider. If you have a *tight* engine bay, it'll be tighter. Likewise, the exhaust manifolds will be a little wider apart, and the exhaust will need to be pushed/shoved/bent just a little.

                Also, the new motor is taller, so if you ran a "big" air cleaner before and it "just" cleared the hood, it won't now.

                Externally, that's about the extent of the problems you'll encounter.

                Just wanted to point out that while they're very similar in many aspects, they are NOT the "SAME"

                Comment

                Working...
                X