Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh, darn this brake system! I need help/ advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh, darn this brake system! I need help/ advice please!

O.k., We have redone everything with my brake sytem, lines etc.

I still have the same problem though, the rear brakes don't work, they won't lock up in gravel.

My pedal is still sort of soft, and when it feels like it's reached the end of the push, a couple seconds later the pedal goes down another half inch.

The new wheel cylinders, (auto zone purchase, 1000 miles ago) had rust in them. Hubby cleaned them up when we replaced all the lines and other components, and thought they would work, but maybe we need new ones again?

Anyway, we replaced everything, and the brakes acted just the same with each and every change we made!

What could possibly be wrong?!

We are not ruling out that any of these replacement parts could have been a lemon!

Anyway, I asked the same question on binder bulletin, and was asked about my "combination valve" or my proportioning valve.

My husband says that my proportioning valve is basically just a brake light switch, and he doesn't know what this "combo valve" is?

He has done brakes on countless other rigs, but my Scout has him stumped?

Also are the Master cylinder and prop valve the same on all Scout II's?

Mine has power brakes, ( I don't know if they all do?)

Thank you,
    possum scout

(p.s., I am starting to panic, we are supposed to be moving to Missouri in just a couple of weeks!)

Re: oh, darn this brake system! I need help/ advice please!

Originally posted by possum scout
    My husband says that my proportioning valve is basically just a brake light switch, and he doesn't know what this "combo valve" is?

That's somewhat accurate if you have a drum/drum brake system, although it triggers the brake warning indicator light on the dash, and not the brake lights. General Motors calls it a combination valve, and most others call it a proportioning valve. Same thing, different name. If you have disc/drum brakes, the combination or proportioning valve does just that. It is designed to proportion pressure differently to discs than drums, maintaining differing residual pressues front and rear.

It will not be the same on all Scout IIs. A drum/drum system will not have a proportioning valve, but a distribution block with a switch in it. A disc/drum system will have a proportioning valve. The two look very similar.
    Last edited by DrMaserati; 05-19-2003, 11:36 PM.
    Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
    --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
    76 Scout II, 345, TF727
    65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
    48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

I would look at bleeding the brakes again.

Rememer air is compressable fluid is not.

Also I hope your hubby did not use wd-40 on the cylinders. That may have contaminated the fluid and it eats up the cups inside in a few months. Brake fluid only on a brake system.

New wheel cylinder might not be a bad idea. They may have been bored out to far if they are a reman. part.

There is something in the manual about pushing and holding a small button that is on the front on the proportioning valve while bleeding. Might look into that also.

The master cylinder might also need to be bleed first and then on from there since the whole system has ben opened to the air.

These are my thought on this.
      Good luck!

wp

Comment

Working...
      X