Road Trip Home!! ID - MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip Home!! ID - MN

I was just out in Cooeur D' Alene Idaho looking at a job, (I'm hoping to move here this summer)
    Any way, while I was here,

I purchased a '71 1210 4x4 over in Spokane, I'm headed out for Minnesota tonight!! So if anyone sees a Primered black w/ green bed old binder pickup on I-90/ I-94 give me a wave, if ya see me on the side of the road HELP!!!

My cel is 612-770-1280 (currently turned off to save my battery but I'll check it every 100 miles or so),

the truck runs great but the gas guage doesn't work & I only got one 16 gal tank, + a 5gal back up in the bed....
    The truck comes with an extra cab, doors, front clip, 1/2 ton axles, a 345 core, & boxes & boxes of parts.....
    that's all stayin' in the guys garage untill Aug. when I plan to move out here (I hope)

Had a great weekend with EagleMark & the Just IH guys, sure hope ya got your binder going Nate....

So I off 1400 miles to go!!

Wish me Luck!!

Darren Y.
    To many Binders!!, let me know what you need, I selling parts!

On the Road again....

with a 345, I've been averaging ~10+ mpg
    I'd hate to think what it would be loaded!!
    just over 9hrs & I'm in Billings, MT ---- from Coeur D' Alene ID
    not to bad ~1/3 the way there!!

wish me luck alls well so far....

Darren Y.

Comment

He was way to happy to be driving back instead of the return flight.

Truck was a driver with very recent tune up, lube, wires, alternator, starter etc...

Heres a digital picture in the dark and then lightened up. Notice the flames reflecting from the flash.

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Made it!!!!!!!!

All's well, I made IT!!

I pushed through into N. Dakota yesterday, but as the sun was fading so was I, I
        stopped in at my Grandma's place In Edgeley (~40 miles South of Jamestown)
        after 21 hrs/ ~1100 miles in that 3/4 ton I was beat (literally!) N.D. roads &
        Interstate are some of the worst I've ever driven on!!
        I would have liked to post last night but my grandma just upgraded to color TV 4
        or 5 years ago.... I think she gets 4 or 5 channels, = no computer access!!

Got a late start Wed. morn, I sat around chatting with my cousin for a while, we
        only see each other every few years as it is....

any way he told me a short cut that would take over an hour off my drive, I
        didn't sleep well & wasn't looking forward to the 400+ miles that I had left, so I
        was really excited to make it shorter... lets just say somewhere in him giving me
        directions or my writing them down on a piece of scratch paper we got our left &
        rights backwards...... so I ended up adding about 40-50 miles & just over an hour
        to my time....

Lack of sleep was hittin' me hard I was stopping at ever rest area in between gas
        ups about every 120- 140 miles,, i was definately way beyond just being tired!!
        So I stopped off at a couple places I knew & just walked around got a bite to eat
        & took my time on the last 200 or so miles, met up with some freinds right before
        I got home ended up going to dinner with them & then sitting around BSing about
        how crazy they thought I was, untill I started to feel myself start to knod off, So
        I figured it was time to make those last 15 miles....

1460 miles, 133 gallons of gas, $220 in gas alone,
        avg. 11 mpg!!,
        I left with no tools other than a rool of Duct tape, some zip ties, my leatherman,
        & a newly purchased fire extinguisher. I also had an extra 5 gal of gas, brake
        fluid, pwr steer fluid, carb cleaner/(starting fluid), & water ......

As I stopped for gas I picked up a few tools here & there, some elec wire, a
        voltage tester, some fuses, a flashlight etc....

Its hard to see how many miles you've driven when the dashlights don't work!
        Best deal of the trip was a 4 cell Maklight (sp?)
        flashlight (the really good ones) for $20, there was a whole bin of stuff marked
        way down at this truck stop, all of which was listed under 'damaged' in the case
        of my light the pkg was damaged but the light worked like a charm!!

This was one heck of a risk, but that's what was so much fun about it, I buy this
        truck from a stranger who just went completely through in mechanically basically
        replaceing almost every thing that could be.....

this truck runs great!! the only oil that leaked was when the hose came off the
        flame arrestor (hose was to big) it splattered a little oil on that side of the motor,
        nothing big just a mess....

would I do it again, hell ya! but I probably would have thrown a bunch of those
        parts that came with it in the bed to soften the ride....

Oh yeah!, the radio broke aftin the 1st 100 miles just the sound of that 345
        purring......

Darren Y.
        Home & all accounted for!!

(thanks 4 the pic Mark!)

'71 1210 4x4
        '77 Terra (rust-free!!)
        '72 Scout II (currently stock)
        '72 Scout II (project) SOA/RS full width GM axles 38" tires, lots of trimmin'!!
        Parts!, Parts!, Parts!

Comment

found a '61!

Jamie,
          I found a '61 on my trip contact me for details....

Darren Y.

Comment

Re: On the Road again....

Originally posted by darren y
            with a 345, I've been averaging ~10+ mpg
            I'd hate to think what it would be loaded!!
            just over 9hrs & I'm in Billings, MT ---- from Coeur D' Alene ID
            not to bad ~1/3 the way there!!

wish me luck alls well so far....

Darren Y.
            OK, You're in trouble now, Darren.

Drove right by and never stopped to say "Hello"!

A *little* detour that, by the way, cuts about 5 miles off the trip, and you could've swung by my place.

Next time.. coming across I-90.. you need to take a detour around Butte. Coming east, you jump off at Garrison Jct just before Deerlodge.. that puts you on US-12. Less than an hour later, you're cruising through Helena.. another half hour and you're into Townsend, MT where you stay straight and magically you're on US-287 that, 30 minutes later, dumps you back onto I-90 at ThreeForks.

Coming the other way.. reverse those directions.

10mpg is about average.

My '74 200 Travelette (tired 2bbl 345, 4.30 gears, 235/85-16 tires) will do 11-12mpg empty if I drive right, and got 9.5mpg loaded (14,000lbs) going to RMIHR last summer.

We'll see how the new hotrod 392/4bbl combo will do next month.. assuming I finish putting it together. :P

-Tom
            Helena, MT

Comment

Well I got into Butte at 6am,
              but I would have loved to stop by, had I thought of it.....
              Next time my friend, next time,
              only I"ll probably be loaded, haulin' stuff west....
              (hopefully!?)

need any parts?

Darren Y.

Comment

Working...
              X