72 Scout II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Scout II

Well, it's taken a few years but I got the wife addicted so now I'm not alone in this addiction. Just bought Tammy a 72 Scout II we're the third owners we bought it from the son of the guy that bought it from the factory. Paid $400, two months ago he wanted $1000 he has $500 in the brakes.

With that all said I have a few questions, the handle on the back glass is missing how hard will it be to find another and how hard is it to instal.

It's missing all the mirrors I have some more modern mirrors for it. It has a 304 4 speed would that be the T-98 I haven't looked at the axles yet.

Oh, I want to put some bigger tires on it but not too big (I think it be a little awkward for the wife to pack a step ladder along in her daily adventures) What size would be best without any suspension mods?

Later on I'll be looking for a fender
    Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

T-handle isn't hard to find if you buy one new at one of the Scout vendors but it will be a tad on the expensive side. Used ones are somewhat difficult to find but I'd give it a shot looking through the local wrecking yards. You may also want to post a request in the PARTS WANTED section. As for changing them out it requires only ten or so minutes and a screwdriver.

Your axles are most likely a Dana 30 up front and a Dana 44 out back. I've seen up to 31 inch tires on a stock Scout II as long as they weren't too wide (under 10 inches). Remember that regardless of what your told should fit all depends on the condition of your springs and body bushings. Worn bushings and/or sagging leaf springs will reduce the size of tire that will fit. If you know someone that can loan you a set of tires in the size you want try them out. I'm running a 4 inch spring lift and a 1.5 inch shackle extension and I clear my 33x12.5 BFG's for the most part. When I get into some major articulation then the rears grab the inner fender a little. SOA is next I guess!

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks a bunch

I put the outside mirror on and Tammy put on the inside mirror today.

Discovered it has a motorcraft carb with an automatic choke with a cable half way connected gotta figure it out.

I'm havin a blast
      Carl in Idaho

Comment

I have a used T-handle if you need one. I decided to ditch the top on mine and I salvaged some of the parts. Let me know if you are interested.

Scott

Comment

YellowDog,
          The only other time I have seen a Motocraft carb. on an IH, the motor was blown from running lean.
          That is not the correct carburator. As a matter of fact a two barrel carburator off a four cylinder Pinto will bolt up among others. The Pinto carb. has primary and secondaries.
          As for the back door parts Jon has everything you need...
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Guys
            Thanks for the replys so I guess I need a Carb I have a Holly off a 266 would that be a problem on the 304? and that T-handle is missing the guts also (I think) There is just a hole in the chrome thing I don't know.

Gonna work on it tommorow (Monday) my day off
            Carl in Idaho

Comment

If the T-handle is there and just missing the lock core, it's a simple, fairly cheap fix. Any good, well stocked locksmith should be able to put a core in it.
              Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
              --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
              76 Scout II, 345, TF727
              65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
              48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

There is just a chrome plate with a hole in it.
                Carl in Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle-Mark
                  YellowDog,
                  The only other time I have seen a Motocraft carb. on an IH, the motor was blown from running lean.
                  That is not the correct carburator. As a matter of fact a two barrel carburator off a four cylinder Pinto will bolt up among others. The Pinto carb. has primary and secondaries.
                  As for the back door parts Jon has everything you need...
                  I ran a Motorcraft 2bbl on my first race engine.. ran great until I blew the motor up from too much heat, then swapped the carb onto Engine #2. Worked great there, too, until I cracked the carb baseplate when installed the 2" carb spacer..

Had a Motorcraft 2bbl on Michelle's 800's 304 for a while, too, until one day it just stopped cooperating. Worked fine right up until then, though.

My first Motorcraft had the airhorn shaved and other modifications to improve the flow.. supposedly a pretty popular thing at the time.

-Tom
                  We Race Farm Equipment

Comment

Working...
                  X