trans, transfer case, front and rear axle lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans, transfer case, front and rear axle lube

I was reading somewhere that modern synthetic or standard 50W oil is a good replacement for what the Scout 800 operators manual recommends, which is SAE 90, when lubing trans, trans case, front and rear axles. Can someone verify this or tell me where I might have been reading that.

Thanks,

Craig

If I could remember all I've read on this I should have put it on a web page!

First off things are different now then they were 30 years ago. Differentials need gear lube 80/90 seems to be the one of choice and easy to find. Almost all gear lubes synthetic or otherwise have EP (extreme pressure additives) which is good for differentials, but it is bad for syncros and other brass, copper parts in transmissions and transfer cases. That's were you heard to use 50w motor oil, dinosaur or synthetic for the trans and t case.

There is a good article written a few years ago on this at:
    http://www.oldihc.org/Rogue_Seven_Oh...ticle&artid=15

I run synthetic everywhere and have found the synthetic manual transmission and transfer case oil at Redline.

http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearoil.htm
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Scout Lube

Mark,

Thanks for the URLs. The "oil" post was quite good and I hadn't seen that website before.

Comment

Re: trans, transfer case, front and rear axle lube

Originally posted by Eagle-Mark
        If I could remember all I've read on this I should have put it on a web page!

First off things are different now then they were 30 years ago. Differentials need gear lube 80/90 seems to be the one of choice and easy to find. Almost all gear lubes synthetic or otherwise have EP (extreme pressure additives) which is good for differentials, but it is bad for syncros and other brass, copper parts in transmissions and transfer cases. That's were you heard to use 50w motor oil, dinosaur or synthetic for the trans and t case.

There is a good article written a few years ago on this at:
        http://www.oldihc.org/Rogue_Seven_Oh...ticle&artid=15

I run synthetic everywhere and have found the synthetic manual transmission and transfer case oil at Redline.

http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearoil.htm
        Hey Mark,
        I was searching the forum for the proper lube for my 64 S80 manual tranny and transfer case and I found this post helpful. I went to the redline site, do you use MTL for both the tranny and transfer case? How much should I order?

Matt F.
        Last edited by MBF80; 03-22-2005, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yup the MTL is for the transmission and transfer case. Do not use it in a axle!

5 quarts I think will fill them and leave a little extra. It is expensive but once it's in will outlast you! Picks up some MPG. The cheap way out is 20w-50 motor oil.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I run 80-90 or 90-120 gear lube in the diffs. No need to change that.

I had been running SAE 50 engine oil (Valvoline Racing) in the Dana 20s and T19s, but recently tried Mobil 1 20w50 in both the D20, the T19, and my T-35 5spd with good results thus far.

Didn't really help the T19, which is getting worn out, but it isn't hurting, either.

I'm going to buy a 5gal bucket of CD-50 next time, though. Synthetic over-the-road truck transmission oil that should work for 500k in the T-35 (not that I'll ever see that many miles) and just as long in the D20 and/or T19s.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Now I just have to find a place that carries the stuff.
              Matt F.

Comment

I use 50w motor oil in my T-19 and have had good results. The whine that I had in my transmission is now gone since I switched from the 90w that was in it.

Comment

I had a former Scout mechanic suggest running 140 wt Hypoid Gear Oil for my tranny. Hadn't seen any similar suggestions on the board, wondering the thougts are on this.

Comment

don't forget if you have a posi in either axle to check on make sure whatever oil you run that you don't need an additive for the clutch pac in the posi .some oils already have this additive in them and some of them don't .if the additive is not used and it is needed you can burn out the clutches in the unit
                    Steve Wright
                    503-829-6385
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.fixitwright.com/home.html

Comment

Originally posted by kingkonger708 View Post
                      I had a former Scout mechanic suggest running 140 wt Hypoid Gear Oil for my tranny. Hadn't seen any similar suggestions on the board, wondering the thougts are on this.
                      Have fun trying to shift on a cold morning.

Comment

what does shifting on a cold morning have to do with adding a posi additive? its only a few ozs. and will save your posi if that's the kind that needs special oil.i personally use 85-140 in all the rear & front ends i rebuild which has been literally 1,000's over the last 40 years and had absolutely zero problems but hey that's just me and you can do whatever you want .big tires ,little gears and a heavy foot off road needs heavier oil for the shock load and for the shear resistance it affords
                        Steve Wright
                        503-829-6385
                        [email protected]
                        http://www.fixitwright.com/home.html

Comment

Originally posted by stevesfixit View Post
                          what does shifting on a cold morning have to do with adding a posi additive? its only a few ozs. and will save your posi if that's the kind that needs special oil.i personally use 85-140 in all the rear & front ends i rebuild which has been literally 1,000's over the last 40 years and had absolutely zero problems but hey that's just me and you can do whatever you want .big tires ,little gears and a heavy foot off road needs heavier oil for the shock load and for the shear resistance it affords
                          Not a frigging thing. He was asking about 140w in his transmission, not his axles. Did you see the post that I was quoting? 140w oil when it's 10* outside is like tar and synchros won't slide throught it worth a crap.

Comment

Working...
                          X