intermittent trouble starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent trouble starting

I'm hoping somebody out there can help. For no apparent reason, my 1970 800A will sometimes refuse to start. Turn the key and don't even get a click; AMP meter goes all the way to D. Come back the next morning and it cranks right up. Over the last couple of months I've replaced alternator, regulator, battery, and battery cables. Problem seems to be worse when it's hot out. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

jc

Really sounds like a bad connection or a bad wire...since you've replaced battery cables, it's probably somewhere much more obscure....you've cleaned your engine grounds, yes?
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Ronnie, thanks. I hate to sound like such a newbie, but, what/where are the engine grounds? jc

Comment

JC70,

You might also want to take a look at this string. It might help.

http://www.justinternationals.org/Bi...=&threadid=599

Comment

Uhh....sorry...I wasn't very clear there, was I? I was thinking of where your negative batt cable attaches to the engine or frame, and if you have a ground cable between the engine and frame... Because you are showing full draw on the ammeter when experiencing the problem, I'm thinking you have a short (bad connection) somewhere. Like the other thread suggested, your bulkhead conn (center-pax side of the firewall, black plastic) might be the prob...also check all your starter connections.

Here's another thought....in a theoretical world, if it were a starter or solenoid problem, then you might at least hear it making noise when you tried it, but you're not....that might be another direction to look...(I wouldn't start replacing yet...)

What happens to other power users, ie lights/radio/flashers when you experience the problem? Is the whole truck dead then or just the starting circuit?

Time to break out the circuit tester....wiring probs like that can be real patience-twisters...

Ronnie:)
          Last edited by Ronnie; 07-15-2003, 05:07 AM.
          Lil Red Bus
          1967 800

Comment

any chance it's the key mechanism itself, ie worn out? Just an idea....R
            Lil Red Bus
            1967 800

Comment

What about a Hot-Start problem? You could add a ford Solenoid if that is the case.
              Brian Tucker
              Bennett, CO

Comment

Sounds like a battery cable problem to me> Check and clean all connections and try again.

Al

Comment

I don't think it would be the key mechanism being he gets a total draw when this happens. If it were the key switch he would see no amp-meter change.

If it were a bad connection in the battery cables would he still get the amp-meter draw?

Worse when hot sounds like a starter that has found it's ending! Most car parts stores will check them for free.
                  [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                  [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Im pretty sure its your starter and your solenoid. I had the same problem and I replaced the starter and it was fine. The starter is kind of a pain to replace by yourself so make sure you have someone to help you out...its very heavy and it helps if you have someone to hold it up while you loosen the bolts. Good luck :)

Comment

Re: intermittent trouble starting

Found this in the search and wondered if anyone knew what the solution was? Starter spins fine when bridging B to S terminal on solenoid and bulkhead connections look pretty good. This is on 75 Scout II with old style points ignition.

Comment

It is usually the solenoid. You can verify with a test light by checking for voltage at the solenoid with the key in start.
                        Walker
                        '67 scout 800
                        '67 Chevy C-10

Comment

I wasn't getting enough voltage to solenoid, installed remote solenoid, cranks fine now.

Comment

I have had a similar issue with my 79 Scout for the past 5 years. Occasionally when I turn the key to start, nothing, not a click, no solenoid noise, nothing. It will always eventually start and then be fine for a period. Replaced batteries, starters twice, battery cables, checked and replaced ground wires, cleaned connections and out of frustration taken the truck to the shop. Same results. The only thing I have not replaced is the switch itself as I understand you have to pull the steering column to access. Any Ideas? GK Texas

Comment

install the remote ford solenoid start switch.
                              jeffoh,'71-1210,4wd,396.6,727,3.73's,'74-150,4wd,392-727,'69-1100,304,bw,auto,4wd,( [email protected] )

Comment

Working...
                              X