X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRENCH MAN
    replied
    Re: intermittent trouble starting

The actual switch can be replaced without pulling the column, you just have to do a head stand while you unscrew it!
    I bypassed the bulkhead connector on my Scout and totally eliminated this issue!

Leave a comment:

• waynehill
    replied

What Jeff said, this finally solved this issue, exactly same as yours. Voltage was dropping on starter wire to solenoid from 12 to 6 under load(don't know why). Remote Ford style install now cranks every time without fail.

Leave a comment:

• jeff campbell
    replied

install the remote ford solenoid start switch.

Leave a comment:

• GK Texas
    replied

I have had a similar issue with my 79 Scout for the past 5 years. Occasionally when I turn the key to start, nothing, not a click, no solenoid noise, nothing. It will always eventually start and then be fine for a period. Replaced batteries, starters twice, battery cables, checked and replaced ground wires, cleaned connections and out of frustration taken the truck to the shop. Same results. The only thing I have not replaced is the switch itself as I understand you have to pull the steering column to access. Any Ideas? GK Texas

Leave a comment:

• waynehill
    replied

I wasn't getting enough voltage to solenoid, installed remote solenoid, cranks fine now.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied

It is usually the solenoid. You can verify with a test light by checking for voltage at the solenoid with the key in start.

Leave a comment:

• waynehill
    replied

Found this in the search and wondered if anyone knew what the solution was? Starter spins fine when bridging B to S terminal on solenoid and bulkhead connections look pretty good. This is on 75 Scout II with old style points ignition.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im pretty sure its your starter and your solenoid. I had the same problem and I replaced the starter and it was fine. The starter is kind of a pain to replace by yourself so make sure you have someone to help you out...its very heavy and it helps if you have someone to hold it up while you loosen the bolts. Good luck :)

Leave a comment:

• Eagle-Mark
    replied
    I don't think it would be the key mechanism being he gets a total draw when this happens. If it were the key switch he would see no amp-meter change.

If it were a bad connection in the battery cables would he still get the amp-meter draw?

Worse when hot sounds like a starter that has found it's ending! Most car parts stores will check them for free.

Leave a comment:

• Al Evitts
    replied
    Sounds like a battery cable problem to me> Check and clean all connections and try again.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Brian Tucker
    replied
    What about a Hot-Start problem? You could add a ford Solenoid if that is the case.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied
    any chance it's the key mechanism itself, ie worn out? Just an idea....R

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied
    Uhh....sorry...I wasn't very clear there, was I? I was thinking of where your negative batt cable attaches to the engine or frame, and if you have a ground cable between the engine and frame... Because you are showing full draw on the ammeter when experiencing the problem, I'm thinking you have a short (bad connection) somewhere. Like the other thread suggested, your bulkhead conn (center-pax side of the firewall, black plastic) might be the prob...also check all your starter connections.

Here's another thought....in a theoretical world, if it were a starter or solenoid problem, then you might at least hear it making noise when you tried it, but you're not....that might be another direction to look...(I wouldn't start replacing yet...)

What happens to other power users, ie lights/radio/flashers when you experience the problem? Is the whole truck dead then or just the starting circuit?

Time to break out the circuit tester....wiring probs like that can be real patience-twisters...

Ronnie:)
    Last edited by Ronnie; 07-15-2003, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    JC70,

You might also want to take a look at this string. It might help.

http://www.justinternationals.org/Bi...=&threadid=599

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ronnie, thanks. I hate to sound like such a newbie, but, what/where are the engine grounds? jc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X