SOA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA questions

i just bought a 74 scoutt II with an SOA the rear axel seems to move side to side when i hit large bumps in the road i tried new bushings and shocks but it still didnt help, and is there anybody that sells traction bars for scouts? thanks....

Are you sure that it's the rear axle and not the front causing your problem? Were the knuckles rotated when they did the spring-over? Is the caster actually close to correct? Is everything tight that's supposed to be tight on front & rear? What's the condition of your steering? Are you getting bump-steer?

In direct answer to your question, I don't know of anybody building traction bars, because nobody's using them on semi-stock suspension setups such as yours. However, you could ask John @ Back Country Binders or Damian @ D & C, I'm sure somebody could make you some if it was a cure-all. Also, a traction bar is generally used to control axle wrap, as opposed to side-to-side movement.

Good luck...Ronnie
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Re: SOA questions

Originally posted by Mort
      i tried new bushings and shocks but it still didnt help
      When you say bushings do you mean on the shocks or do you mean spring bushings? Spring bushings are the ones that would control side to side movement of the suspension. And does it have the original spring shackles, or has someone put longer ones on? That can also contribute.

But it sounds more like you are describing bump steer than movement in the rear axle. I think Ronnie is closer to the actual problem. Your Scout had zero caster from the factory, and SOA or not, as soon as the springs sag a little, you're into negative caster. Steering is not good on a brand new Scout, and gets worse as things wear.

Other things to check are tie rod and drag link ends. Wheel bearings. Check to make sure the steering box is tight on the frame and that the frame is not cracked or flexing at the steering box.

While all of those things are important factors, the most effective thing you can do is have the knuckles on the front axle cut and turned to give at least 4 degrees positive caster. I would suggest going to 6 degrees if you have power steering. It will make for a very stable vehicle.
      Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
      --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
      76 Scout II, 345, TF727
      65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
      48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

it was coming from the front had some bad steering issues, almost all the tie rod ends were bad and the frame was cracked, thanks for the help. positive caster is that where the knuckels tilt forward?, because the axel was twisted when i got it but not shure how far...thanks...justin

Comment

Working...
        X