chimera scout II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimera scout II

Hey guys, I hope someone is willing to lend some advice here. I can understand any reluctance. I got a great deal on 72 scout II - 304-auto, but I was really helping out a friend financially. The body and hardtop are in really fine shape but that is about it. The engine is completely clogged with gunk and there is no carb, alternator, or starter. I can't afford to put scout parts back. I a strong 79 terra and that's my baby. Anyway, my pal is going to give me either a chevy or ford engine and tranny and help me with all the labor. I didn't restore my terra. I just improved it. Can anyone help me with how the front diff. is going to contended with and does this make one combo more logical than the other.
    Once I get that windfall I will probably rebuild it fully international, but for now anything helpful toward this hybrid would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James a.k.a. Terra79

Everything will depend on what motor and tranny.
    assuming all come from 4wd trucks.....

Ford- if the original came with a dana 20 TC then it would not be too bad. early bronco? or complete with 205 TC from a mid to late 70's F150.
    on a traveller you have room to mount a divorced TC under it so you mount any engine and tranny and just use a U-joint to connect to the TC.

Chevy- could use the jeep wagoneer tailshaft from the turbo 400 they used with the dana 20 TC and put it in the a regular turbo 400 with a SBC in front. or buy the adapter.

Chrysler- they made the 727 automatic so you can just pull the tailshaft out of yours put it in the chrysler 727 and use the motor of your choice.340,360, 440!

Don't forget the drive shafts! shift linkage, motor mounts. crossmember,....................................

for the money and time you put into the swap you could just go to northern auto parts and get a rering kit for less than $200 and still be all IH!!!!

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

What is a divorced transfer case.Let me make sure I understand the reply.I can use my t.c. on a t h 400 if i use a wagoneer t h 400 tailshaft.I can use my t.c. on a early bronco tranny.I didn't understand about the 70's model ford f150 tranny and t.c.

Comment

if the tranny and tc are one then they are married.....so... if they are seperate they are divorced!!!! neat huh.

some of the longer wheel base trucks used a divorced tc. so you just mount it on it's own cross member and make a really short drive shaft to go from any tranny you have to the tc. make for an easy engine swap cause all you need is the right yoke that goes in the back of the tranny.

now for the wagoneer...sounds easy but try to find a wagoneer the TH tranny and dana 20 tc. thats the hard part. I want one to put the 6.5 turbo diesel in front of it for my scout!!!

the late 70's ford truck was just to say it is a good package with the np205 tc. nothing easy about putting it in.

Something else you can research...70's jeeps used the dana 300 tc. which is a little different than the scout dana 300.
        so look at all the sbc conversions for the jeep using the dana 300. might be better to pick up one of them!!!!

when all is said and done...you can make anything fit in your scout. but I don't think you will be better off than just doing a rebuild on what you already have!!!!

nothing is going to be a bolt in swap so don't think you can grab any of these parts I have talked about and just bolt them together and be done. it won't happen. BTDT
        It's always the little things that will get you.

good luck.
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

I can't afford to put scout parts back.
          You may want to rethink that statement very carefully before you go ahead with this project.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I have to agree with Eagle-Mark. Sounds like you have never done a swap like this, and have no idea what you're getting into. You say the carb, alternator, and starter are missing. The alternator is a standard Delco, available for less than $50. The starter is also only about $50. You should be able to find a decent carb for well under $100. When you say "The engine is completely clogged with gunk" I assume you mean the typical sludge found in older engines. It was probably running with that "gunk" in it the last time it was shut off, so I wouldn't worry about it. Get it running and use some good motor oil in it and it will probably clean up within a couple of oil changes.

If you can't afford those things, you certainly can't afford a complete engine/trans swap. I think you underestimate the difficulties and expense of a swap like this, even if the engine/tranny are free. You will spend far less money, and far less time, fixing what you have.

On the other hand, from the wording of your post I suspect you already have your mind made up and are just looking for validation of your decision to do the swap. It's your truck, do what you want. But I don't think you're going to convince anyone here that the swap will be easier and cheaper than repair. It won't be, by a long shot.

JP
            Jim Price

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
            --Albert Einstein

78 Scout Traveler, 345, TF727
            76 Scout II, 345, TF727
            65 1200 Pickup, 304, T-19, 4x4
            48 KB-8-F, RD-450

Comment

Okay, let me state the obvious. I have no experience with drivetrains persay beneath the gas pedal. I can replace auxillary equipment and do serivce, but I am a feared of the rest. I read all the magazines I can. But when it comes to bouncing ideas off friends about 4x4's and internationals especially, I get the same old blank stares. This is where I am. Over the last few years I have saved the money I would have made in new vehicle payments with the goal of restoring my terra. And since it has given me no major trouble, I have not had to dip into these savings (Further evidence I should stay IH). All the parts that were missing from this 72' scout II I would have replaced new anyway. The body is tight and I want to invest in a paint job before cold season. Really what I am looking to do is completely rebuild it into a new old truck. Then I can decide what to do to it on the trail after considering what it has cost.
              When I said that this engine had gunk, I meant to say that I can barely see the rocker arms for the gunk and I know that ain't gonna thin down. I need to run it to check the transmission and the rest I guess. I just hate to install new parts and pull them back out. Ultimately what I want this scout to be is a city scout most of the time. What gears can accomplish this the best? The tags on the tc's read 4313 above 3?31. I don't know what it means. I would like to be able to travel 70 mph and yes, decent gas mileage would be nice. My terra drinks like a fish above 50mph. Can I convert or replace the intake for a 4-barrel? Is there a way to convert the 3 speed auto into an overdrive or near it? And lastly, what about converting the rear drums to discs? I have checked this board over the years but I have never put anything into motion until now. I need advice and feedback along the way. I thank you that have replied so far.
              Terra 79'

Comment

You said, "When I said that this engine had gunk, I meant to say that I can barely see the rocker arms for the gunk and I know that ain't gonna thin down. "

When I bought my '73 it too had so much "gunk" you couldn't see the rockers. In fact, there where carboned chunks of crud mixed in. It was so bad that I considered draining the oil and refilling the engine with deisel and running it for a few minutes to clean it out.

Well, I did drain the oil but refilled it with a good quality oil. Amazingly, you could see the gunk starting to disappear as I was pouring the oil in.

After a couple oil changes, the rockers are bright and clean. Even though the Scout is my daily driver, now, I've only put about 1400 miles on it. It just continues to amaze me and run better and better as time passes. Obviously, I didn't wait 3000 miles for those first couple oil changes.

A couple of other Scout folks that drop by the garage occassionally, chalk the gunk up to the previous owner using a particular brand of oil.

Give the old IH a chance. It may just surprize you how inexpensive it is to get it going.

FWIW I kept looking over at the 330 HP crate 350 in my son's old El Camino and just waiting for any excuse at all to swap it into the Scout. That was, until the old 304 came back to life and I started fiddling with things like a new carb and upgraded ignition. I must admit that the old IH has impressed me.

Good luck!

Comment

Even if the IH motor full of gunk was no good I think you could still rebuild it cheaper than doing a motor tranny swap.

If you decide to put the parts on it needs and it does run there are many engine flush chemicals on the market. I used the Amsoil engine flush. Then filled with Amsoil Synthetic 10/40 and Amsoil filter. The synthetic oil cleans much better than dinosaur oil. I ran it for about a thousand miles and it was black. Changed the oil and filter and it lasted about three thousand before it was black. Changed it again and now I have just under six thousand and it's getting close to black. This oil is designed for twenty five thousand miles or once a year, you still need to change the filter every three thousand.

The tag on your differential 43 13 is the ring gear teeth (43) and the pinion gear teeth (13) which does end up to be 3:31. Very nice gear ratio for fuel mileage with up to about a 31 inch tire.

The intake manifold on a 304 is different than 345 or 392 and can not be interchanged. The 304 never came with a four barrel and no one makes an aftermarket for it. If you are looking for a fuel mileage rig the 304 two barrel would be the best choice. There are several options of good carburetors for this motor the best in my opinion is the Holley 2300 which may be on there.

I've never seen a way to change the auto transmission to overdrive but someone has talked about changing the converter to a full lock up but I have no knowledge of this.

Warn make a bolt on kit for the rear disk brakes.
                  [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                  [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                  X