Need tech tips on 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tech tips on 304

I am getting ready to purchase a 1975 IH scout W/304 v8, 4 sp man trans. Part of the deal is the guy has another 79 for extra parts. vehicle runs great my plan is to rebuild the other 304, want to go 4bbl card and hei, and headres. Are these parts available and also any other recomendations welcome on complete resto. Thanks Zeke

Zeke,

I see that you're in CA. As a 1975, the Scout will still need to pass a smog inspection which includes the visual inspection. Any changes woud have to wait until after the inspection.

That said, headers and HEI are available. IH never made a 4 bbl intake manifold for the 304 and neither has the aftermarket.

If you look through some of the strings in the two main forums you'll find lots of useful info to get you started.

Good luck!

Comment

I have property in az I will probably register it there, I don't think they are as strict, I think i am definately am going to go Hei poss FInjected and headers. MSDvsGm conv. holleyvs afi efi system. any input would be much appreciated

Comment

Zeke,
        I think you will find the majority on here will say GM EFI.
        The only real question is do you want full computer control or just the fuel and run a regular distributor.
        Both of mine are full computer control. Fuel and timing.
        I ran and still run one of my systems on the duraspark conversion distributor. The other I run on one of Marks GM conversions.
        For cost I like the ford conversion. For packaging I like Marks better.

They both work fine.
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Is the AfI injection sytem computer controlled, cost? What computer controlled system are you running on your vehicle?

Comment

I run the GM TBI system.
            It's basically an 88-91 chevy truck V-8 system.
            It's basically the same system AFI uses for the basis of his system. He has a lot more years playing with them than I do!!
            Check the AD for AFI at the top of the page and the FAQ on the main FI page.
            You can get there from the little logo at the top of this page.

good luck
            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Re: 304

Originally posted by zeke
              I have property in az I will probably register it there, I don't think they are as strict...

Assuming you're not licensing in Phoenix or Tucson metro areas, then you are correct....in those counties vehicles 1967 and newer have to pass emissions....it's all about revenue!!!
              Lil Red Bus
              1967 800

Comment

Re: Need tech tips on 304

Originally posted by zeke
                I am getting ready to purchase a 1975 IH scout W/304 v8, 4 sp man trans. Part of the deal is the guy has another 79 for extra parts. vehicle runs great my plan is to rebuild the other 304, want to go 4bbl card and hei, and headres. Are these parts available and also any other recomendations welcome on complete resto. Thanks Zeke
                FWIW, your 304 won't need a 4bbl - your heads will likely be the bottle neck even with a 4bbl intake.

Just to try things out, I went from a 500cfm 2bbl to a 600cfm 4bbl on a 2-4 adapter on my highly modified 304.. my max RPM did NOT change. Still in the mid-to-low 5000rpm range.

As such, I've decided to hold off on getting the modified 4bbl intake, and instead run the engine as-is.

To fix my RPM ceiling problem (I need 6300rpm with my current setup to at least have a comparable trap speed vs. a certain EB I race..) I'm going to have to go to bigger heads - I don't think there's anything left to be gained with the 304 castings.

(This motor is 10.25:1, cammed, LS6 valve springs, extensive head porting, lightened reciprocating assembly, polished and lightened rods, recurved Pertronix equpped distributor, etc.)

In short, I have yet to see a streetable (or race) 304 that NEEDS more than the 2bbl intake will flow.

Comment

Working...
                X