X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T19 Tranny fix is easy...

Hey All,

Just thought I'd pass on some fyi...

IF you have some trouble shifting into 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th, and have been thinking about tearing into the T19 tranny but have been afraid to - it's an easy fix... (and I believe most of the manual tranny's in the Scout are similar)

I've always been afraid of tranny's as I didn't really understand them. I found out it was pretty simple if you break it down and think about it for a minute. (at least for the manual ones anyway)

You need a couple things. Gear puller (8"), and a bearing puller (that will fit a 4" bearing). Don't get an expensive bearing puller. I bought a bearing splitter/puller from NAPA for $59. Later, I was at Shucks. They have a bearing puller on it's rack for 5 bucks that would have worked just fine. Heavy duty snap ring pliers also are a must, some of those rings are VERY thick (you want the kind that will open a ring that doesn't have a loop-hole on each end of the ring).

Be careful with the bull-gear nut on the back side. Mine stripped a little as it came off, and after having put the tranny all back together I thought I had forgotten something, so the second time I loosened it, I really destroyed it.

Have some uninterrupted time once you start stripping gears off, set everything aside in order of removal and putting back together is a breeze. I thought I forgot one of the snap rings behind the bull-gear, but it didn't require one.

I replaced front and rear bearings, needle bearings, and brass stop rings for all 4 gears. I could have replaced the reverse gear on the mainshaft, but it was only chewed a tiny bit, so figured it'll last. Whole job, less travel time for tools, post office shipping time for the VERY-SPECIAL-SO-DON'T-MESS-IT-UP-'CAUS-IT'LL-COST-YA bull-gear nut, took about 6 hours. I could probably cut that time in half, but I like to really clean the guts of the thing as I take them out.

Just passing it on,

Bill

Note on the bearings... In my tranny (T19 from 1980 Scout) the front bearing is thicker then the rear bearing by about 2mm. One tranny shop I had called for parts didn't really know about that, the place that I actually went to did, and he only told me about it as a side note. He gave me 3 bearings (two thin, one thicker) and said just to bring the one I don't use back.
Working...
X