Suspension lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension lift

I want to install a new suspensioin lift for my 78 Scout Traveler. Can i put a 4" Skyjacker lift front and rear without changing anything else like steering linkage, or axle angle etc. I only want to put install a suspension lift and not have a domino effect of other things that I need to do. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I have a set of 4" lift springs as well as extended shackles and the only thing I needed to change was the brake hoses. They just barely reach the axles so I picked up a set that were 6" longer. A bit of an overkill but the future plans call for a SOA and I didn't want to have to buy them twice. Otherwise the only other change I have heard of doing is a dropped pitman arm and it seems most Scouters I've talked to prefer not to use it.

Comment

Might be easier if you decide what size tire you want to run then go from there. I've got four inch over Skyjacker with Nitro shocks, two inch over shackles (remember you will loose approximately three degrees castor when using two inch over shackles, Scouts have 0 to begin with which isn't enough) to run 33X12.50-15 tires 10X15 wheels on my Traveler. Needed extended brake lines for that. Still needed more room at full flex so I added a body lift. But then still had bump steer and needed a drop pitman arm. Didn't like the steering so I added four-degree shims for castor. Then the driveline would bind at full droop so I had to twist the front end and add CV joint drivelines. It gets good flex now but was a lot of work. Front tire stuffs all the way in the wheel well and rubs front fender while off-road but does not show in the picture on the ramp.

On the other end when I did my wife’s Scout II I used a two-inch over Skyjacker with the Nitro shocks new standard shackles (no change in castor and much less flex) and ran a 33X10.50-15 on a seven inch wheel and it drove great. Slight rubbing would be cured by a two-inch body lift but we never got that done. Maybe with a two or three inch body lift it may have done well with 33X12.50-15 tires on eight inch wheels? No where near as much flex for off-roading.
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for the great information. I currently am running 31" tires, and may upgrade to 33" down the road if $$ permits, but in reality I have quite alot to do before then. I do not need a rockcrawler, since I use it mostly for a commuter and trips onto the beach. I really do not want this project to snowball where I need to change castor, drivetrain etc and prior to your messages I was thinking a mandatory 4" lift and an inch body lift. maybe a 2" lift and 2" body would get me there as well....just still trying to figure in out. On your traveler, does the back sit lower than the front? I have seen that on a couple of scouts and they added a leaf.

Comment

Supposedly Skyjacker springs are for a Scout II no top, no spare tire and no load so I added the leaf before I installed them.

Trick if your using the two inch Skyjacker lift is the second or third leaf from the old Scout II front springs works perfect for the extra leaf in the rear.

My opinion of the Skyjacker springs is that I like the softer ride than offered by Trailmaster or Rancho.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

So my question is ....would you recommend Skyjacker 4" lift or go with something else. I have heard mixed reviews on the Skyjecker brands.

Comment

I like them a lot!
              Like I said the easy way was the two inch but the four inch may be easier without the extended shackles.

Comment

I also use the Skyjackers and approve of them entirely. I like the extra flex they provide as well as the smoother on road ride. The only issue I've had with them is when I tow my travel trailer. The cure was a set of bolt on helper springs to stiffen them up. Takes 30 minutes max to take on or off and keeps the Scout level while towing.

Eagle-Mark makes an excellent point of using 4" instead of 2" springs and avoid the longer shackles. It is my opinion that this is the area of greatest compromise to handling. If it can be avoided it would probably be for the best. If you decide to stick with extended shackles try not to go over 2" longer than stock. Had a friend try a cheap driveway lift on his traveler by using 5" longer shackles. A week later it was in the ditch and on it's roof. Not so cheap in the end.

Comment

For drive-ability I think the only way you can have a safe driving street vehicle with two inch over shackles is to do a front end twist. If not your really looking for a bad handling truck, bigger tires even worse.

Hey I tow a travel trailer too!
                  Do you use a weight distribution hitch? If not and you try one you'll never tow without it again. They are great!

Comment

I have the same hitch along with the anti sway bars. It works great, my only problem thus far has been a blown out U-joint. Because the distances I've been towing with the new job I bought a 1990 Ford F-250 diesel. In the end it's more efficient and less destructive on my Scout. I own a 26' Prowler and loaded it weighs in around 7000lbs loaded.

Funny thing about that u-joint though is that I thought it was the transfer case that went and started looking for a new one. I've already wiped out 2 D20's and this acted much like that. I found someone with an engine, tranny, and transfer case for sale in Missoula for $250. Much to my surprise it was a 392 complete except for carb and alt, a 727 auto, and a D300. Shelled out the cash, loaded up, and drove away with a big grin.

I'll be in Thompson Falls over the next few weeks so I hope to run over to Post Falls for your meeting this month. Would like to meet some folks as well as become a member.

Comment

Rough Country lifts

I too am looking for a 4 inch lift for my Scout I recently acquired. Does anyone have any info, good or bad, on the Rough Country lifts? I know they are some of the cheaper lifts, but I'm a college student and can't really afford that much. Or should I just go with Skyjacker and end future headaches? Thanks guys.

Comment

I like my Skyjacker lift and Nitro shocks.

Comment

Rough Country Lifts

I bought 4" Rough Country lift a year ago. They ride like the name suggests for a few months until they soften up a little. Other than that they are great. With the top off the back end sits a little high. 32" tires fit no problem. I needed a longer brake hose for the rear, the front hoses I bent up at the caliper. Needed front caster shims to tilt the axle FORWARD, believe it or not. The front u joint was completely bound up. I still have plenty of positive caster. Drives great.
                          Last edited by CSmith; 10-20-2003, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Lift kit

OK, so now I am down to 2 different lift spring kits. Skyjacker or Triangle. They both offer a 4" lift. I have heard that Skyjackers sit lower on the back then front and that Triangle brands are very rough riding.

any opiinions between Skyjacker and Triangle lift spring kits.??

Comment

kind of a silly set-up, but I am running 4" Skyjackers on the front and Triangles on the rear(SUA), and 33"x13" shoes. I chose the Skyjackers on the front for flex (seemed to flex more than the Triangle fronts, and I got a smokin deal on them). And the Triangles in the back minus the bottom leaf for support. I dont expect any issues, other than tire rub, but that can be taken care of with a sawsall ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X