X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd Munns
    replied
    oil pressure

Everyone is right the scouts have always run low oil pressure from the start. A good check is installing a manual guage and the thicker oil will help especially after years of service. The oil pressure guages aren't very good. You can get a little more flow out of the oil pump by removing the cotter and puting a washer up against the spring in the pump. Your scout it probaby just fine. Lifter noise is also common. As you know any dirt that gets in there can cause problems, but I have also seen lots of cupped lifters and bad cam lobes. Sometimes you also can get some noise out of the rocker arms if they are worn out. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I had the same ploblems with my '73 Scout II, because I put alot of miles on mine I put a new sender on(help a little) for the tick I ran engine flush and then changed the oil and then to bump up the pressure a little more I ran heavier oil. The lifters are hydrolic but there is also a spring inside. On my '77 Terra the springs collapsed on a couple of the lifters so I had to replace them.

Leave a comment:

• JerryD
    replied
    My gauge on my '76 was doing exactly the same thing. Went to NAPA and got another sending unit, now it reads normal. The sending units have a diaphragm inside that apparently lose their elasticity or something. Try that. I think it was $15-$20. This assumes the gauge is working! :) Me? I didn't feel like pulling the dash, so I rolled the dice & was right.

As far as the lifter, try and isolate the noise with a stethescope to see which one is causing the problem. I'm currently dealing with the same issue on this as well! Anyway, the Service manual is your friend so get one from one of the lightline dealers if you haven't already. Sometimes the lifters are dirty, other times there could be debris, so IMO you really should investigate WHY it's noisy so you don't get a nasty suprise down the road.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: new owner questions

Originally posted by jgrog76
    i have a few questions about my new 77scout II. the oil pressure on the stock gauge reads around 1/4 of the way up on start and while cruising. while idling warm goes down to the last mark next to the L. just was wondering if that was normal. also i have a lifter that seems to not hold pressure. sometimes it will click on start but go away and then while cruising on the highway the sound will come and go. is there a way to see if the lifter is just clogged with gunk without replacing it? also will it cause a problem with the engine other than the noise? can i leave it that way and not harm anything? will heavier oil help solve the problem. last question is what should the timing be set at for the 304.
    I have read that Scouts are supposed to have low oil pressure, not sure on the numerical reading though. BTW, mine reads 1/4 on the guage as well;) I cant answer your lifter question, and Im not gonna try. And lastly, timing on your engine is 0*. I have mine @ 3* before, because mine ran rough at 0*.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic new owner questions

new owner questions

i have a few questions about my new 77scout II. the oil pressure on the stock gauge reads around 1/4 of the way up on start and while cruising. while idling warm goes down to the last mark next to the L. just was wondering if that was normal. also i have a lifter that seems to not hold pressure. sometimes it will click on start but go away and then while cruising on the highway the sound will come and go. is there a way to see if the lifter is just clogged with gunk without replacing it? also will it cause a problem with the engine other than the noise? can i leave it that way and not harm anything? will heavier oil help solve the problem. last question is what should the timing be set at for the 304.
Working...
X