electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronic ignition

how do you know if you have the prestolite or some other electronic ignition module. i have a coil and two wires going into a firewall connector coming out of the distributor. no outside box anywhere i can see.

Here is a picture of a Holley. Holley must have made them but I have never seen one with Holley on it.

And here is the Prestolite distributor.

Also the kind of vehicle would help if it's the original motor...
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

it is a 77 scout with a 304

Comment

ignition

Originally they came with a tag on the side of the distributor that identified which one it was. Also the Prestolite has the cap with the prongs sticking up for the wires.
        Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

Like this?

Also my 1977 Scout Traveler came with the Gold Box on a 345.
          You don't see anything that looks like a gold box on the firewall?
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

That's the one!
            Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

i looked and found the gold box on the firewall. but my distributor cap has female plugs on it not the male plugs in the picture someone posted. did some previous owner switch it out for the one i currently have or was there different caps for some cars?

Comment

The cap Mark is showing above is for the 79-80 prestolite.
                The holley used a standard female cap. Which he explains in the caption under his picture.
                HTH
                Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

kinda related question

I have a kind of related question- Does anyone happen to know where to get a schematic diagram for the gold box/igniton circuitry? any help in that regard would be much appreciated. thanks!

Comment

Binder Bulletin Tech Library
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

clarification

thank you, sir- I have several versions of the external wiring diagram- the one I am looking for would be the internal diagram for the gold box. I imagine it's a simple circuit, but I was curious as to how it was put together.

Comment

I have one that did not want to be potted anymore that I may be able to get a picture of. It actually was still working when I pulled it for the FI.
                        It will take a couple weeks tho. Uncle sam says I have to leave for 2 weeks.
                        I know others have taken them apart and repaired them. Seems to be the same resistor that goes bad in them.
                        Maybe do an archive search on the BB.
                        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                        X