Low--Or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low--Or No?

Hi, new here, fairly new to fixin' my '78 Scout Traveller (w/345, 179,000 original miles, tranny stock but rebuilt, rear end stock but rebuilt) as its sat pretty much unused since I bought it on an impulse 7 yrs. ago. Hoping someone can square me away on some things now that I'm going to try an make something out of it....

--Low oil pressure. Has stock gauge, never gets above 1/4 mark. Normal or should I be really worried.

--Best source for basic body parts like door/window mouldings

--Need heat shield. No carpet inside, gets HOT from exhaust system. Anyone successful in placing insulation between exhaust and floor? I'd like to keep inside metal, easy clean up after hunting trips....

--What ballpark cost of rebuilding a 345 is...leaking oil pretty good from rear main seal I think, last time I dropped the oil pan there were pieces of babit in the bottom

I'm in Southern Cal., any suggestions on area suppliers/engine rebuilders much appreciated!

Thanks!

On the oil pressure; my '73 is also running the stock gauge. Normal, for mine is also at the 1/4 mark. On cold days, which around here is in the 40's, it''ll move a little over the 1/4 mark until it warms up. It's been that way since last January when I bought the Scout.

For the body parts and moldings, check out the vendor links. You can get there from the Home page. Ebay can be a good source, as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Paul! Hey, does it sometimes take a bit before your gauge registers any pressure?

Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

If you go to your local parts store you can chose from a 0-80 sender or a 0-40 sender. Go with the 0-40 psi sender and your needle will run higher on the gauge.
        You still have the 30 yr old wiring and the dash voltage regulator to deal with but at least the oil press won't bother you as much!!
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

If your motor is still running good you may want to re-gasket the motor. Getting another 100,000 miles out of it would not be uncommon. As far as replacing it Super Scout sells re-newed IH motors as well as an IH dealer.

The low oil pressure is pretty common among the 25 to 30 year old IH gauges. I do like the idea of Bill's 0-40 sender though!
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

IIRC
            Northern auto has rering kits for $130.
            complete overhaul is about $600

Here is the real prices.

Part # Description Price

Cam Kit INCLUDES
            Federal Mogul/Seal Power Camshaft.. $153.46

Master Kit INCLUDES
            Federal Mogul/Seal Power Rings... $575.88

Rering Kit INCLUDES
            Federal Mogul/Seal Power Rings... $133.68

Northern
            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

...The motor runs strong so the gasket idea may work. About 5,000 miles ago, when I first bought it, none of the cylinders had less than 88% compression if I remember correctly. So, maybe the gasket idea would be good and the main seals.

Just need to get the gumption up to pull the thing, have never pulled an engine. Might wait until the end of bird season though, something (else) to do while I wait for spring....

Comment

Originally posted by Kastnblast
                Thanks Paul! Hey, does it sometimes take a bit before your gauge registers any pressure?

Cheers,
                Mike
                Nope. It pretty much registers right off the bat.

As for your heat issue, you could try some header wrap on the exhaust pipe

and/or

Get some floor mats and attach some A/C insulation (the metal faced kind in the HVAC section at the hardware store).

If it's going to be a while before you can get to the motor, I've had good luck using Restore with each oil change.

Comment

You can do rear main seal without pulling engine...but you will have to pull transfer/trans/oil pan. If it's a casual-use truck, I'd be tempted to run it instead of rebuilding, as you can easily spend $2000 by the time you're done rebuilding (my wallet knows). If you're seeing quantities of metal, then it may be time to do bearings or complete rebuild.

Lil Red Bus
                  1967 800

Comment

...Another quart of 10w-50 here and there may be the ticket, especially given my wife's "Just sell it!" attitude...I think I got her worried when I tell her it's going to be the ultimate Chick Magnet someday...

Comment

I think I got her worried when I tell her it's going to be the ultimate Chick Magnet someday
                      Sorry that didn't help!

Try ultimate family SUV without a payment and she may go for it...
                      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

oil pressure & parts

The stock oil pressure gauges are frequently grossly inacurate. Install a direct read type.
                        Email me at [email protected] and I'll reply with my parts finder list. In So Cal, you have Mike Ismail in Palmdale for parts and info. Doc Stewart
                        Doc Stewart

Comment

Working...
                        X