Which Transfercase do I have??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Transfercase do I have??

Tammy has a 72 Scout II. I don't know a lot about it yet I do know it has the 304 w/holley 2v 4 speed which 4 speed I haven't a clue Mark and I figured out it has a Power-Loc 3:73 rear. My question is which transfer case does she have. And what's the max speed can she drive it in 4 High. We now have about a foot of the white stuff in the yard and she's been using 4WD she's leery of it right now until she get's used to it in the snow so she wants to run 4 High all the time but I don't think she can. Am I right? I know my truck, the Yellowdog, can't cuz it's a divorced 205 with straight cut gears. I'm rambling anything you all might tell me will be a help, Thank You

:(
    Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

T-case

Carl, should have a Dana 20, and no problem running 4-Hi continuously as long as tires all match. Whats the problem with the 205 I have run ours in 4-Hi without a problem wintrtime only.
    70 1300 4x4 Travelette,"Clifford",'75 200 1ton 4x4 w/service bed , '74 ScoutII,36x14.50 swampers ,AKA:Rusty ,SOA,RS,D44/D608hole/narrowed,divorced NP202,6 point cage to frame,'"79 SII(Wifes)SOA,304 , 4sp., 37" ProComps, 8000lb. Warn .73'1210 4x4Travelall,392,4sp.,barndoors , 8" lift in progress(She wants 38's). '64 1300 1 ton Travelette 4x4 "Tatonka".
    (2)1980 Scouts with consecutive serial numbers..

Comment

NP205

The NP205 I'm told has straight cut gears (it's in a 67 1200B P/U) and at 30/35 mph it wines real loud. I just use it to get me moving or climbing hills.
      Carl in Idaho

Comment

Should have the Dana 20 transfer case just like mine. I run four high at highway speeds no problem they are designed for it.

Like Jon said matched tires and the roads should be wet at least. I have also left the front end engaged highway speeds on dry pavement with the transfer case in two wheel drive. No Problem! She's going to like the 4X4 with the powerlock.

Not sure about your NP 205 sounds like something is wrong there...:confused:
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

[i]Not sure about your NP 205 sounds like something is wrong there...:confused: [/B]
          It's allways been like that.
          Carl in Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowdog
            It's allways been like that.
            NP 205's are a bit noisy, but it is usually the oil that causes that noise to be louder or quieter in my expericence.

NP 205's can be run at any speed, but they become a bit loud at speeds about 55 MPH. At least the ones I have had.

With regard to you Scout II transfer case, the only way to be truly sure is to take a magnet, and stick it to the tailshaft of the Transfer case. If it sticks, its a DANA 20. If it doesn't wipe it off better to be sure, and try again, if it still doesn't stick to it, then it's a DANA 300, and someone swapped it in some moons ago.

The tailshaft of the DANA 300 is aluminum, and it's achilles heel.

Keep on Binderin',

John
            : beer : Diamond power! : beer :
            If you have never used a search button.... DON'T POST!

Comment

You mention oil?

I have had great improvements in synthetic gear oils for many applications. Always a noticeable noise reduction and if you paying attention easier shifting and cooler temps.

Redline recommends their MT-90 for our IH transfer cases and transmissions.

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/mtlti.htm
              [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
              [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

OK Thanks everybody I will check the Scout I seriously think it's factory I'm (We're) the 3rd owner after the son of the first owner
                Carl in Idaho

Comment

if its original and a 2 sp, its a D20. its ok to run it at highway speeds but i would running it in 2wd whenever its not really necessary. might be better to keep the hubs locked and just engage the t-case when you need it if getting out and turning them everytime is a hassle. id rather have to replace worn out hubs than a transfer case if it comes to that. my 73 scout had a D20 and 3.73s and i wouldnt want to drive it over about 60 anyway.

as for yellowdogs transfer case unless someone swapped it, it should have the New process 202 like my 69 1200 has. they used 202s until around 70-71. apparently just about identicle to the 205 mechanically and at least as strong but has a different shift pattern and i think the gears are straight cut in both ranges, not just low as in the 205(?). if 2wd position is all the way forward then its the 202. mine wines in 4wd and howls with the hubs locked.

carl by the way, i have those fenders for you. -ryan

Comment

Ryan
                    Thanks for getting the fenders. I don't have long distance anymore and I was just trying to figure out how I was going to contact you. Write me [email protected]

I guess I have a 202 in the 'Dawg Thanks
                    Carl in Idaho

Comment

Working...
                    X